can i use this deity as my name??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can i use this deity as my name??

hello to anyone viewing this ! im very interested in learning more about deities and witchcraft and so on and so forth !
    anyway , on to my question : as a transmale looking for another name to go by, i was thinking about using the name baphomet ! i figured it would probably be best if i checked if that would be disrespectful to anyones religion/beliefs before i actually started using it ! im not sure if its similar to people calling their children or pets the names of greek mythology names ?? but i would love to use it as my name

thanks to anyone who replies !!

Re: can i use this deity as my name??

If you really want to? A lot of people name themselves after demons. I just don't think it's practically a great idea.
    Circe

Comment

thanks for your reply !! i really do want to . when you say its not a practical idea do you mean just because its uncommon for a name or just because its a demons name ?

Comment

This is not my field, so take it with a grain of salt. I doubt you'll have many pagans offended by the use of that name. If you like it, I say go for it.
        Because of the misunderstandings about that particular deity, you might have to brace for some crap about it from certain groups of Christians and the likes.
        And prepare to spell it out every time someone needs your name. That's just the downside of having an unusual name (said as someone whose last name is apparently impossible to get right for anyone).

- - - Updated - - -

This is not my field, so take it with a grain of salt. I doubt you'll have many pagans offended by the use of that name. If you like it, I say go for it.
        Because of the misunderstandings about that particular deity, you might have to brace for some crap about it from certain groups of Christians and the likes.
        And prepare to spell it out every time someone needs your name. That's just the downside of having an unusual name (said as someone whose last name is apparently impossible to get right for anyone).
        You remind me of the babe
        What babe?
        The babe with the power
        What power?
        The Power of voodoo
        Who do?
        You do!
        Do what?
        Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

thank you for your reply

Comment

Originally posted by vin View Post
            When you say its not a practical idea do you mean just because its uncommon for a name or just because its a demons name ?
            A bit of both. It's basically like naming yourself Satan, except fewer people will be likely to get the reference. I assume you can see how that might be a bit inconvenient? You'll get all the normal weird name baggage, on top of getting the side eye from people who know what a sabbatic goat is. Personally, I would have trouble taking someone whose legal name was "Baphomet" seriously, but funky/edgy/fantastical names in occult circles aren't that uncommon. It's not the worst thing I've ever heard someone introduce themselves as. Though, it would be pretty hilarious to head to the DMV and have your papers done with it.

Bottom line is, if you want to do it, do it. It's not going to hurt anyone and you're free to remake yourself into whatever you'd like. I'd just suggest trying it out first before doing the paperwork.
            Last edited by Corvus; 13 Mar 2021, 13:32.
            Circe

Comment

oh im not going to change my legal name to baphomet ! itll just be a name my friends can call me . though i agree it would be a bit funny if it were on my legal papers <3

Comment

The name "Jesus" is a fairly common name in LatinoX cultures, if that kinda thing matters.

Better answer:

Think carefully - if yer OK with the net of karma yer gonna weave, go for it.

P.S.: example - your friends will abbreviate it to something like "Baffy" when referring to you...
                Last edited by B. de Corbin; 15 Mar 2021, 05:36.
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

since no one has really objected to me using the name , then i believe i will start using it as a name . thanks to all of you for helping me out !

as far as being called baffy for short , thats really not much of a con <3

Comment

I'd also be prepared for criticism from others (which you'll absolutely get - and I don't know if you want the extra attention) and also terrible puns, such as "but we just baphomet!"

Mostly art.

Comment

Working...
                    X