What is "cancel culture"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is "cancel culture"?

Cancel culture is what happens when common people discover that they can use capitalism to control the wealthy.

Many rich people prefer to use capitalism to control common people - which is why they tend to hate cancel culture.

But it's all capitalism, baby!
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: What is "cancel culture"?

There's a certain amount of the really wealthy slapping down the moderately wealthy for being stupid in public without a license mixed into the whole thing. Amazon was not hurting for money when they told Parler, "You've been ignoring your contractual obligations for an extended period and the people you cater to are a problem that might eventually manage to hurt us so we're booting your *** off AWS." Similarly Cloudflare wasn't broke when it turned to a neo-nazi site and said, "You chuckle****s are pissing us off so we're withdrawing our protection from your servers. There's a significant number of hackers waiting to DDoS you and we can't be bothered to stop them. Have fun."

I mean, it's still capitalism (along with a relatively nerfed variation of good old fashioned shunning) but the hits that are hurting the most are frequently being delivered by the equivalent of killer whales to sharks that have forgotten that they are not actually at the top of the food chain.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I seriously don't get cancel culture at all.

Comment

It's people voting with their wallet.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhythm View Post
          It's people voting with their wallet.
          Ok. That still doesn't make any sense though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
            Ok. That still doesn't make any sense though.
            Since capitalism became a thing, this has literally always been a thing. Conservatives are giving it a name, because things are being cut out that they like and they like to throw tantrums.

Cancel culture is nobody wearing top hats anymore because people stopped buying them.

Cancel culture is nobody buying corsets anymore because they are damn uncomfortable and women said no more and stopped buying them.

Cancel culture is nobody buying vinyl records because there are better options.

When the people collectively decide not to invest in something that they don't agree with to the point that an industry, artist, or store is put out of business because they aren't buying it anymore, that's cancel culture.

The fact that that means people have to be careful what they say and not be asshats makes conservatives angry.
            We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
            It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
            Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
            -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
              Since capitalism became a thing, this has literally always been a thing. Conservatives are giving it a name, because things are being cut out that they like and they like to throw tantrums.

Cancel culture is nobody wearing top hats anymore because people stopped buying them.

Cancel culture is nobody buying corsets anymore because they are damn uncomfortable and women said no more and stopped buying them.

Cancel culture is nobody buying vinyl records because there are better options.

When the people collectively decide not to invest in something that they don't agree with to the point that an industry, artist, or store is put out of business because they aren't buying it anymore, that's cancel culture.

The fact that that means people have to be careful what they say and not be asshats makes conservatives angry.
              Ok. I really hate cancel culture so much. Like they're making a big deal that they want to cancel Dr. Seuss and Pepe Le Pew. I love Dr. Seuss and Pepe Le Pew.

Comment

Ok. I really hate cancel culture so much. Like they're making a big deal that they want to cancel Dr. Seuss and Pepe Le Pew. I love Dr. Seuss and Pepe Le Pew.
                Cancelling a thing requires either vast swathes of the population deciding to avoid dealing with or for industries that are necessary to it to turn around and say, "We're done with you." If Dr. Seuss and Pepe are sufficiently popular then they aren't going anywhere. Popular things take a certain amount of effort to get rid of. Well that or they take successfully pissing off Amazon while dependent on Amazon servers but if enough people want Parler badly enough then it will reappear eventually in a way that Amazon can't casually axe murder.
                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                  Cancelling a thing requires either vast swathes of the population deciding to avoid dealing with or for industries that are necessary to it to turn around and say, "We're done with you." If Dr. Seuss and Pepe are sufficiently popular then they aren't going anywhere. Popular things take a certain amount of effort to get rid of. Well, that or they take successfully pissing off Amazon while dependent on Amazon servers but if enough people want Parler badly enough then it will reappear eventually in a way that Amazon can't casually ax murder.
                  I understand that and I still think people jumping in the bandwagon trying to cancel thing which other people didn't have a problem with it many years ago is stupid. Like you have rappers like Nas and Cardi B who do outrageous things in their music and no one doesn't say anything about that. But people want to cancel Pepe Le Pew and Dr. Seuss because they think it offensive to people which there's nothing offensive about it. Like seriously am I missing something here?
                  Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 05 Apr 2021, 16:39.

Comment

A. If you do not like a thing, you do not support it.

B. If you do not care about a thing, it does not matter what you do.

C. If you are against a thing, you act against it.

"Cancel Culture" is the action described in C.
                    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I understand that and I still think people jumping in the bandwagon trying to cancel thing which other people didn't have a problem with it many years ago is stupid. Like you have rappers like Nas and Cardi B who do outrageous things in their music and no one doesn't say anything about that. But people want to cancel Pepe Le Pew and Dr. Seuss because they think it offensive to people which there's nothing offensive about it. Like seriously am I missing something here?
                      People are saying things about Nas. That's why it's such a big deal. They're perfectly fine with the TV show Lucifer, but a black gay man rapping about the dude? No, they're going to stir the pot.

Dr. Suess isn't being canceled. 6 of his literally hundreds of books have been taken off the market for being blatantly racist and that wasn't a cancel culture thing. That was determined by his publisher/estate.

Pepe is sickening. He is literally kidnapping a female against her will constantly. He doesn't accept no. His actions are reprehensible. It encourages rape culture. I will happily celebrate his show going up in a ball of flames.
                      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.

Comment

People are saying things about Nas. That's why it's such a big deal. They're perfectly fine with the TV show Lucifer, but a black gay man rapping about the dude? No, they're going to stir the pot.

Dr. Suess isn't being canceled. 6 of his literally hundreds of books have been taken off the market for being blatantly racist and that wasn't a cancel culture thing. That was determined by his publisher/estate.

Pepe is sickening. He is literally kidnapping a female against her will constantly. He doesn't accept no. His actions are reprehensible. It encourages rape culture. I will happily celebrate his show going up in a ball of flames.
                        Pepe Le Pew is a skunk because she can't stand the smell of him. I like Pepe Le Pew and I enjoy his cartoons.

Comment

Pepe Le Pew is a skunk because she can't stand the smell of him. I like Pepe Le Pew and I enjoy his cartoons.
                          Doesn't matter what he is. She said no. He didn't listen. It's sexual assault set to a kids cartoon.

This is cancel culture in action. You're welcome to watch it. You don't care that a woman is being violated on TV meant for children. So go ahead and watch it. Lots of folks like me won't watch. If enough folks like me are out there, it will eventually go away. If enough folks like you are out there, it will stick around. Majority rules. Democracy reigns supreme via our dollars spent.

Comment

Doesn't matter what he is. She said no. He didn't listen. It's sexual assault set to a kids cartoon.

This is cancel culture in action. You're welcome to watch it. You don't care that a woman is being violated on TV meant for children. So go ahead and watch it. Lots of folks like me won't watch. If enough folks like me are out there, it will eventually go away. If enough folks like you are out there, it will stick around. Majority rules. Democracy reigns supreme via our dollars spent.
                            Whatever. I'm not going to jump in the bandwagon to join the hate train on this one. I'm still going to watch him.

Comment

Nobody canceled Dr. Suess. The company decided that they didn't want to print those images that time has not been kind to. Go take a look at them, and see why the publishers thought they weren't appropriate, if you need clarity on that.

What should we do? Force a private company to print racially offensive cartoons that it doesn't want to print, which it owns? Force people who don't want them to buy them?
                              Last edited by Rhythm; 06 Apr 2021, 08:01.

Comment

Working...
                              X