Thread: What is "cancel culture"?

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

Re: What is "cancel culture"?

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I understand that and I still think people jumping in the bandwagon trying to cancel thing which other people didn't have a problem with it many years ago is stupid. Like you have rappers like Nas and Cardi B who do outrageous things in their music and no one doesn't say anything about that. But people want to cancel Pepe Le Pew and Dr. Seuss because they think it offensive to people which there's nothing offensive about it. Like seriously am I missing something here?
    People are saying things about Nas. That's why it's such a big deal. They're perfectly fine with the TV show Lucifer, but a black gay man rapping about the dude? No, they're going to stir the pot.

Dr. Suess isn't being canceled. 6 of his literally hundreds of books have been taken off the market for being blatantly racist and that wasn't a cancel culture thing. That was determined by his publisher/estate.

Pepe is sickening. He is literally kidnapping a female against her will constantly. He doesn't accept no. His actions are reprehensible. It encourages rape culture. I will happily celebrate his show going up in a ball of flames.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

Quote Originally Posted by Shahaku View Post
    People are saying things about Nas. That's why it's such a big deal. They're perfectly fine with the TV show Lucifer, but a black gay man rapping about the dude? No, they're going to stir the pot.

Dr. Suess isn't being canceled. 6 of his literally hundreds of books have been taken off the market for being blatantly racist and that wasn't a cancel culture thing. That was determined by his publisher/estate.

Pepe is sickening. He is literally kidnapping a female against her will constantly. He doesn't accept no. His actions are reprehensible. It encourages rape culture. I will happily celebrate his show going up in a ball of flames.
    Pepe Le Pew is a skunk because she can't stand the smell of him. I like Pepe Le Pew and I enjoy his cartoons.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Pepe Le Pew is a skunk because she can't stand the smell of him. I like Pepe Le Pew and I enjoy his cartoons.
    Doesn't matter what he is. She said no. He didn't listen. It's sexual assault set to a kids cartoon.

This is cancel culture in action. You're welcome to watch it. You don't care that a woman is being violated on TV meant for children. So go ahead and watch it. Lots of folks like me won't watch. If enough folks like me are out there, it will eventually go away. If enough folks like you are out there, it will stick around. Majority rules. Democracy reigns supreme via our dollars spent.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

Quote Originally Posted by Shahaku View Post
    Doesn't matter what he is. She said no. He didn't listen. It's sexual assault set to a kids cartoon.

This is cancel culture in action. You're welcome to watch it. You don't care that a woman is being violated on TV meant for children. So go ahead and watch it. Lots of folks like me won't watch. If enough folks like me are out there, it will eventually go away. If enough folks like you are out there, it will stick around. Majority rules. Democracy reigns supreme via our dollars spent.
    Whatever. I'm not going to jump in the bandwagon to join the hate train on this one. I'm still going to watch him.

Nobody canceled Dr. Suess. The company decided that they didn't want to print those images that time has not been kind to. Go take a look at them, and see why the publishers thought they weren't appropriate, if you need clarity on that.

What should we do? Force a private company to print racially offensive cartoons that it doesn't want to print, which it owns? Force people who don't want them to buy them?
    Last edited by Rhythm; 06 Apr 2021 at 08:01.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

If we're gonna start forcing private companies to print things they don't want to then I can find things less contraversial to start with. There's a Star Wars Omnibus of Tales of the Jedi comics that I'd love to get my hands on for less than $200. I can't be bothered to care that much about a line of children's books that I lost interest in very quickly.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

I'd start with forcing them to print all of their contributions to rightwing pacs. It's becoming more important for companies to produce marketing that appeals to the changing sensibilities of their customer base - and while that has the american right apoplectic....it's not as if those same businesses aren't simultaneously funneling money into the campaigns of deregulation loons.

The consumer wants the racist crap out of their face. The producer sees that the racist crap is getting in the way of robbing the consumer blind. That's cancel culture. OFC, judging by my congressman Mitch's recent comments - the marriage between the right and the business community may be in danger. Same people who insisted that corporations were people and money was speech....telling them to shut up or get kneecapped. Its a nice racket they've got going, and it'd be a shame if something bad happened to it on account of how they wouldn't close their yaps and play ball in the culture war.

I always want to say that we've reached peak farce, with a sitting bidness congressman threatening literally all of american business with frivolous lawsuits that would inevitably be fired off by superlawyers like the kraken team, but we seem to find new ways to embarrass ourselves just as soon as the last one loses it's appeal.
    Last edited by Rhythm; 06 Apr 2021 at 08:43.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Speaking of kraken,

is epically entertaining. Powell chose the one defense against defamation that despite being a perfectly valid legal defense (well, normally anyway) should discredit her and all of her half assed-conspiracy theories for all time. If she really believed and could demonstrate the mass fraud that she was alleging in public then she would've answered the suit with, "My statements are completely true. I can prove it. Truth by definition cannot be defamation." Instead, well Legal Eagle explains it better than I would and the video is less than 15 minutes.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Yeah, his stuff is always good. I'd say that I might even pick out one little offhand quip that explains cancel culture, the political weapon of cancel culture as propaganda, perfectly. You play the hand you're dealt.

Politicians who hem and haw about cancel culture, and propagandists who spin the narratives about cancel culture, are playing the hand they've been dealt. They know that they're in the wrong, they know that they could not count on the support of the public on the grounds of their complaints in and of itself. When fox goes on at length about "cancelling" dr suess, for example..they're not only lying about that even having happenned..they've got he cover of green eggs and ham up on the screen - and not the racist caricatures which the publishers deemed inappropriate to continue printing (one's which they had already, in past, altered for this very reason, no less).

Instead, they present a sanitized and imaginary entity which demonstrates, or is intended to demonstrate, the underlying claim of a minority victimization of the majority - the organizing principle of contemporary white supremacy. This form of propaganda is not designed to appeal to alt right nuts or outright racists - they're already convinced. It's specifically designed to appeal to left leaning liberals......and it does.

Because..hey, if The Minority really was cancelling poor doctor suess on account of the cover of green eggs and ham, wouldn't that be bad? Not to a supremacist, at least not in principle, they'd like to cancel entire groups of people. No, it would be bad to a contemporary western liberal, the defining feature of which is a concern for and commitment against the victimization of others by the state or with the use of the state or in the face of the states inability to prevent it.

In our search for an enlightened centrism(tm), contemporary white supremacists have found a way to consistently and powerfully compel their ideological opposition into adopting their narrative. That, if we wanted a more drawn out explanation of what cancel culture was (beyond people just voting with their wallets), is that. White supremacy is just playing the increasingly shitty hand they've been dealt, and playing it well enough - though, like the kraken team..there's probably an even better way to play that hand.....

......which should absolutely terrify anyone who isn't a white supremacist.

Muramasa

The best way to deal with cancel culture is to build the entire infrastructure from scratch, with people who value free speech. New social media, new messaging apps, new companies and then let authoritarian and censorious big tech go the path of MySpace, into irrelevance.