Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is "cancel culture"?

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I've been watching Pepe Le Pew since I was a little boy and I turn out great. So I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon to join the canceling party and that's final.
    I'm not saying that JUST watching Pepe le Pew is going to turn you into a rapist. That's not the point. Glad you think you turned out great.

The point is that if an ideology is pervasive in our entire lives - the media we consume, the people we speak to, the dates we go on, our parents tell us, etc ...it changes our world view growing up.

I grew up in a time before we talked about residential schools, because they were still active when I was a kid. I suspect you did too. I also grew up in a racist home, though as a kid, I had no way of knowing. It wasn't until I moved to an indigenous community in my mid-20s that I realized that I grew up with thoughts that I thought were normal, but were actually super dismissive and racist. But think about it: I grew up in the 90s. Where I lived, "Squaw" was a common nickname. We played cowboys and Indians. I have indigenous blood and I was so ashamed about it that I didn't tell anyone until I was an adult. Homeless people were often indigenous. Dr. Suess had racist books. Blackface was still an accepted halloween costume. Do you see my point? I grew up surrounded by a belief that was held by so many that I didn't know racism was a word, or that it was bad. We were just better. This is just how you treated people.

This is why cancel culture is so pervasive now, and why it is a good thing. If you are a young boy growing up, and your father perpetrates this idea that women owe you something because you're a man, and then you see on TV that saying no to a man is bad, and you're told in school if a girl is mean to you, it means she likes you, then you become a teenager and you're told that women always say no before they say yes, then you grow up having a certain belief, right? Because it's EVERYWHERE, and we treat it as normal. When it's not.

If we cancel certain books, and cancel certain television shows, then we break a few links in that long line of learning. Maybe you see that something said in the home ISN'T promoted anywhere else, and instead of growing up believing you're entitled to a women's body, you realize your family grew up in a different time than you, and that you are the future and can change this for the better...you don't grow up with that opinion. You break the cycle.

That's why we have cancel culture.
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
      One wants to avoid making self referential statements of one's own superior mental health (unless one is a very stable genius), lest it invites disagreement.
      Disagree with me all you want. I still stand by what I said and there nothing anyone can do to change my mind about it.

Comment

As I said. I'm still going to watch Pepe Le Pew. You can try to cancel him all you want. It's not going to happen.
        The fact that you don't see anything wrong with this show tells me you aren't a safe person for me as a female to be around. I don't ever want my kids around you. Because I only know you as an online acquaintance, I don't really have to worry about it. But this is the sort of thing that would tell me that this male isn't someone I can trust to have around my girls. And you know what? I'm fine with that sort of cancel culture pressure, because it means keeping my kids safer.
        We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
        It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
        Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
        -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
          The fact that you don't see anything wrong with this show tells me you aren't a safe person for me as a female to be around. I don't ever want my kids around you. Because I only know you as an online acquaintance, I don't really have to worry about it. But this is the sort of thing that would tell me that this male isn't someone I can trust to have around my girls. And you know what? I'm fine with that sort of cancel culture pressure, because it means keeping my kids safer.
          It just a kids cartoon for Pete sakes. This is the type of thing that really bothers me when something that so vintage that people wants to make a big deal out of it that it shouldn't be use for today hypersensitive standards. Pepe Le Pew never once strikes me as a rapist. Penelope the cat cannot stand the smell because Pepe is a skunk. Just what is it so difficult to understand here? Geez!

Comment

Also, I would like to add that I'm not a rapist and I know right from wrong and so should everybody else that people shouldn't be influenced by cartoons that happen 40+ years ago.

Comment

I'd probably be more tolerant of Pepe if there was a widespread acknowledgement among his fans that he's effectively the villain. After all, I tolerate 40k and the good guys of that setting are all hilariously monstrous by modern standards but that was a deliberate creative decision by Games Workshop, the fans are well aware of it and while they might give the reasons for it in setting, they generally all acknowledge that emulating 40K is a terrible, terrible idea. I have very limited concern that someone is going to delve into the lore of 40K and decide to emulate the worse practices of any of its sects. I'm also pretty sure that anyone who might would probably have found something equally ****Ed up to emulate in the absence of 40K.
              "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
              ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                I'd probably be more tolerant of Pepe if there was a widespread acknowledgement among his fans that he's effectively the villain. After all, I tolerate 40k and the good guys of that setting are all hilariously monstrous by modern standards but that was a deliberate creative decision by Games Workshop, the fans are well aware of it and while they might give the reasons for it in setting, they generally all acknowledge that emulating 40K is a terrible, terrible idea. I have very limited concern that someone is going to delve into the lore of 40K and decide to emulate the worse practices of any of its sects. I'm also pretty sure that anyone who might would probably have found something equally ****Ed up to emulate in the absence of 40K.
                Exactly. Like I see Pepe Le Pew alignment as True Neutral.

Comment

Exactly. Like I see Pepe Le Pew alignment as True Neutral.
                  and that does not help your cause unless you are ready to show all the terrible crap that True Neutrals get up to...
                  "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
                  ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                    and that does not help your cause unless you are ready to show all the terrible crap that True Neutrals get up to...
                    Like I said before people shouldn't be influenced by cartoons that happen 40+ years ago and everybody should know right from wrong from it. At the end of the day it all for entertainment. And I know that True Neutral characters can be jerks as well.

Comment

Folks probably shouldn't be influenced by easily researchable misinformation about cancel culture either...and yet.

Comment

Sometimes, someone's who's been "cancelled" comes back. Here in Missouri, ex-Governor Eric Greitens, who resigned amid scandal, is going to run for Senate now. He chose as his national chair none other than Kimberly Guilfoyle, yes that's right, Don Jr.'s girlfriend.

As Fred Gwynne's character said in "Pet Semetary": "Sometimes dead is better." (dead meaning cancelled in this case)
                        Last edited by Hawkfeathers; 19 Apr 2021, 19:24.
                        sigpic
                        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Working...
                        X