What is "cancel culture"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is "cancel culture"?

If we're gonna start forcing private companies to print things they don't want to then I can find things less contraversial to start with. There's a Star Wars Omnibus of Tales of the Jedi comics that I'd love to get my hands on for less than $200. I can't be bothered to care that much about a line of children's books that I lost interest in very quickly.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I'd start with forcing them to print all of their contributions to rightwing pacs. It's becoming more important for companies to produce marketing that appeals to the changing sensibilities of their customer base - and while that has the american right apoplectic....it's not as if those same businesses aren't simultaneously funneling money into the campaigns of deregulation loons.

The consumer wants the racist crap out of their face. The producer sees that the racist crap is getting in the way of robbing the consumer blind. That's cancel culture. OFC, judging by my congressman Mitch's recent comments - the marriage between the right and the business community may be in danger. Same people who insisted that corporations were people and money was speech....telling them to shut up or get kneecapped. Its a nice racket they've got going, and it'd be a shame if something bad happened to it on account of how they wouldn't close their yaps and play ball in the culture war.

I always want to say that we've reached peak farce, with a sitting bidness congressman threatening literally all of american business with frivolous lawsuits that would inevitably be fired off by superlawyers like the kraken team, but we seem to find new ways to embarrass ourselves just as soon as the last one loses it's appeal.
      Last edited by Rhythm; 06 Apr 2021, 08:43.

Comment

Speaking of kraken,

is epically entertaining. Powell chose the one defense against defamation that despite being a perfectly valid legal defense (well, normally anyway) should discredit her and all of her half assed-conspiracy theories for all time. If she really believed and could demonstrate the mass fraud that she was alleging in public then she would've answered the suit with, "My statements are completely true. I can prove it. Truth by definition cannot be defamation." Instead, well Legal Eagle explains it better than I would and the video is less than 15 minutes.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

Yeah, his stuff is always good. I'd say that I might even pick out one little offhand quip that explains cancel culture, the political weapon of cancel culture as propaganda, perfectly. You play the hand you're dealt.

Politicians who hem and haw about cancel culture, and propagandists who spin the narratives about cancel culture, are playing the hand they've been dealt. They know that they're in the wrong, they know that they could not count on the support of the public on the grounds of their complaints in and of itself. When fox goes on at length about "cancelling" dr suess, for example..they're not only lying about that even having happenned..they've got he cover of green eggs and ham up on the screen - and not the racist caricatures which the publishers deemed inappropriate to continue printing (one's which they had already, in past, altered for this very reason, no less).

Instead, they present a sanitized and imaginary entity which demonstrates, or is intended to demonstrate, the underlying claim of a minority victimization of the majority - the organizing principle of contemporary white supremacy. This form of propaganda is not designed to appeal to alt right nuts or outright racists - they're already convinced. It's specifically designed to appeal to left leaning liberals......and it does.

Because..hey, if The Minority really was cancelling poor doctor suess on account of the cover of green eggs and ham, wouldn't that be bad? Not to a supremacist, at least not in principle, they'd like to cancel entire groups of people. No, it would be bad to a contemporary western liberal, the defining feature of which is a concern for and commitment against the victimization of others by the state or with the use of the state or in the face of the states inability to prevent it.

In our search for an enlightened centrism(tm), contemporary white supremacists have found a way to consistently and powerfully compel their ideological opposition into adopting their narrative. That, if we wanted a more drawn out explanation of what cancel culture was (beyond people just voting with their wallets), is that. White supremacy is just playing the increasingly shitty hand they've been dealt, and playing it well enough - though, like the kraken team..there's probably an even better way to play that hand.....

......which should absolutely terrify anyone who isn't a white supremacist.

Comment

The best way to deal with cancel culture is to build the entire infrastructure from scratch, with people who value free speech. New social media, new messaging apps, new companies and then let authoritarian and censorious big tech go the path of MySpace, into irrelevance.

Comment

Originally posted by Muramasa View Post
              The best way to deal with cancel culture is to build the entire infrastructure from scratch, with people who value free speech. New social media, new messaging apps, new companies and then let authoritarian and censorious big tech go the path of MySpace, into irrelevance.
              I'm sure people will attempt this and there may even be enough people working on it to make something moderately enduring. I have my doubts that they'll outperform the existing tech giants to the degree you're envisioning but I'm willing to be amused by watching them try.

Comment

Gab has vastly improved its performance in the last couple of months. Many of us have donated money so that Torba can buy more servers.
                I will always take glitchy infrastructure over outright authoritarianism.

Comment

Those of us who have been here a while will remember the times when the belligerent loud mouths attacked this forum.

Management was very good at attempting to allow free speech, but the bullying and personal attacks made civil discourse impossible.

Iffin that's the kinda crapola one likes, fine - go to an alternate platform.

But, personally, I like the reasonable moderation that takes in places like this one.

Banning jackasses for repeated violations of published policies is AOK, in my book.
                  Last edited by B. de Corbin; 11 Apr 2021, 04:10.
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Baby doll. Imagine you're the cat and Pepe is a human dude.

Would you welcome him to grab, kiss, and chase you for half an hour?

Comment

Originally posted by Judysdottir View Post
                      Baby doll. Imagine you're the cat and Pepe is a human dude.

Would you welcome him to grab, kiss, and chase you for half an hour?
                      As I said. I'm still going to watch Pepe Le Pew. You can try to cancel him all you want. It's not going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
                        As I said. I'm still going to watch Pepe Le Pew. You can try to cancel him all you want. It's not going to happen.
                        Well, I mean. If Warner Brothers decides to cancel the show and pull the media out of circulation, you will actually be forced to stop watching him.

Bart, we all have our things. You like this show, so keep watching it, but what we were trying to show you is that there are more opinions out there. If many people want to keep watching the show, nothing happens. If many more people stop watching the show, the show stops.

I see why you're having a hard time with the idea. Think of it like this: replace a tv show with slavery. If many people wanted to keep slaves, we'd still have slaves. But, a group of people stood up for their rights and fought back against slavery, and now it's been abolished. Cancel culture is like that - some people are going to be upset because it will affect how they live their lives, or it will affect media they consumed growing up and loved. I remember pepe Le Pew fondly, but I also recognize it's teaching young children that rape behaviour is okay. They don't outright say "this is rape", but they show a woman being repeatedly harassed by a man, and we accept this is okay.

In other instances, it's just about wanting to stop giving money to a person who's done bad things. CK Lewis has sexually offended many women. I personally find him hilarious. But if I keep watching his comedy, and many people keep watching his comedy, he is not being punished for his behaviour. If we stop watching it, he will make less money, lose his fame, etc and that will have actual consequences. It's about changing how we teach our youth, and about standing up for our rights. It's just got a new name these days.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                          Well, I mean. If Warner Brothers decides to cancel the show and pull the media out of circulation, you will actually be forced to stop watching him.

Bart, we all have our things. You like this show, so keep watching it, but what we were trying to show you is that there are more opinions out there. If many people want to keep watching the show, nothing happens. If many more people stop watching the show, the show stops.

I see why you're having a hard time with the idea. Think of it like this: replace a tv show with slavery. If many people wanted to keep slaves, we'd still have slaves. But, a group of people stood up for their rights and fought back against slavery, and now it's been abolished. Cancel culture is like that - some people are going to be upset because it will affect how they live their lives, or it will affect media they consumed growing up and loved. I remember pepe Le Pew fondly, but I also recognize it's teaching young children that rape behaviour is okay. They don't outright say "this is rape", but they show a woman being repeatedly harassed by a man, and we accept this is okay.

In other instances, it's just about wanting to stop giving money to a person who's done bad things. CK Lewis has sexually offended many women. I personally find him hilarious. But if I keep watching his comedy, and many people keep watching his comedy, he is not being punished for his behaviour. If we stop watching it, he will make less money, lose his fame, etc and that will have actual consequences. It's about changing how we teach our youth, and about standing up for our rights. It's just got a new name these days.
                          What about Apu from The Simpsons? Many people made a huge deal about him because he was offensive to Eastern Indian people and they removed him from thee show. There was nothing offensive about him.
                          Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 14 Apr 2021, 06:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
                            What about Apu from The Simpsons? Many people made a huge deal about him because he was offensive to Eastern Indian people and they removed him from thee show. There was nothing offensive about him.
                            A popular kid's book when I was young was Little Black Sambo. Click on the image...

Rb36fd7160ee0aded7ef73367bcf293d9.jpg

Dayhamm! They cancelled it!
                            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I've been watching Pepe Le Pew since I was a little boy and I turn out great. So I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon to join the canceling party and that's final.

Comment

One wants to avoid making self referential statements of one's own superior mental health (unless one is a very stable genius), lest it invites disagreement.

Comment

Working...
                                X