Introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introduction

Hi! I'm new to both this forum and paganism. Pagans have been all throughout my social media lately and I sort of realized that I wanted to learn more. I'm very drawn to Greek and Norse mythology, Witchcraft, and Druidism. I don't know if this something you really combine and I don't know anything about where to start. I also don't know a lot of the terms, so I'd love some advice on how to get going, and some words I should know!

Re: Introduction

Welcome to the forum. I'd wager most pagans mix different pantheons at least occasionally. Nearly everyone draws from many spruces to produce their practice. Are there more specific things about Norse or Greek paganism, witchcraft, or druidry that you're interested in? Generally I'm a big advocate for primary sources. For Nordic mythology this is the Eddas and a small collection of supplementary texts. For Greek mythology you have the nearly the entire canon of western classics, but a gold recording of the Iliad will give you a lot of mileage. Being pagan means cultivating good research skills. We have a number of threads on various topics that could be good to look through using the search function or by browsing. Your research focus is quite broad so once you have an overview (maybe some Wikipedia entries) it might be helpful to fine tune what you want to research. There's plenty of folk floating about eager to help.
    Circe

Comment

Howdy, and welcome!

How to start: begin where you are and go toward the future.

Learning terms: mostly, ignore jargon. Unless you plan to publish, plain language is preferred. On the rare occasion you find a technical term (like rupa) that you don't know, just ask. The odds are that the one using the term doesn't know the meaning either.

Combining mythologies: pretend you're a Roman. They took any mythological entity they came across and shoehorned it into their pantheon, somewhere. It's an ancient pagan tradition!
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

A lot of my interest in druidry stems from how often I play a druid in Dungeons and Dragons, so I have to learn more about it before I can really find specific parts of it I like. Really I have to do a lot of research, but there was someone I found that worshipped crystals as extensions of Gaia and that made a lot of sense to me. For witchcraft, everything I see online is usually people sharing their experiences communicating with entities, and casting spells, and that's what really interested me.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you!

Comment

It’s been pretty difficult to reconstruct Druidic practice. Our main sources are enemy polemics in context of their age, and…obviously, much of anything else was later lost to time and pogroms. But of an anachronism even so, as a historically literary culture which left no persistent records.

good luck in your search!…and welcome.

Comment

Working...
          X