My Unpopular Opinion On Russia/Ukraine Conflict

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Unpopular Opinion On Russia/Ukraine Conflict

I come very late to this thread, but then I have not long been a member of this forum. I don't think that anyone would disagree that this whole thing is tragic, for everyone, but of course most of all the people of the Ukraine. The western leaders are walking a tightrope and I personally agree with not putting troops on the ground in the Ukraine. Its easy to say that we should have been stronger in the past against Putin's actions and we should have been, but that is past history, we can only do what we can do today and in the future. I think we all have to accept that we will have a time of suffering as in shortages, economic difficulties, but that is not as bad as being shot at. I live in the UK and our dependency on Russian oil and gas is very low at 3%, which we intend to bring down to zero by the years end but some parts of Europe are up around 30%. Again my personally opinion which might be unpopular. I would like to see all imports of Russian oil and gas stopped as in right now. I also think that what oil and gas we have in Europe should be shared between all friendly European countries equally, so that we all suffer to the same degree. I would accept organised power cuts for four hours every day and some form or rationing until we sort things out. Of course these are just words and I no clue as to the logistics of what I am saying.

In the UK during the miners strikes of the 70's, the government imposed 3 day working weeks. You had power cuts and it was normal to eat your evening meals by candlelight. You went back to only heating one room in the house. What I am saying is you get past this things, you cope and I think that this man, Putin has to be stopped and we have to be willing to suffer a little to do it.
    "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

Comment

I am dreaming of the possibility that this might be the last time this empire crap shows up during my lifetime.

Not much to hope for. A couple decades at most.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

same for me B. De.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
          I understand where everyone is coming from. I guess what it is that I am worried about this whole thing getting worse and worse. I am hoping this man gets what he deserves.
          Trust me Anubisa I really do understand where you are coming from. Although as I have said I think it would be wrong to put troops on the ground, its very possible that your thoughts are absolutely the right ones. Putin gets away with so much because he is willing make the threat, even if ultimately in his heart (bad selection of words, he has no heart) he would not actually do it. The west is not willing to call his bluff, if bluff it is. So we will not put troops on the ground, we will not create a no fly zone, we will not allow the Mig jets to be moved into the Ukraine, I personally do not think we will do any of the three things mentioned even if he uses chemical weapons, because we are never willing to call his bluff. Sometimes I wonder if we have to take that risk and call him out on his bluff but yes, its so dangerous. Its all so final if he does do something stupid. I keep thinking to myself that Putin has two daughters, he has grand children. If there is any humanity inside him surely he would not want to destroy their lives, but you never know.
          "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

Comment

Originally posted by DarkMere View Post
            I come very late to this thread, but then I have not long been a member of this forum. I don't think that anyone would disagree that this whole thing is tragic, for everyone, but of course most of all the people of the Ukraine. The western leaders are walking a tightrope and I personally agree with not putting troops on the ground in the Ukraine. Its easy to say that we should have been stronger in the past against Putin's actions and we should have been, but that is past history, we can only do what we can do today and in the future. I think we all have to accept that we will have a time of suffering as in shortages, economic difficulties, but that is not as bad as being shot at. I live in the UK and our dependency on Russian oil and gas is very low at 3%, which we intend to bring down to zero by the years end but some parts of Europe are up around 30%. Again my personally opinion which might be unpopular. I would like to see all imports of Russian oil and gas stopped as in right now. I also think that what oil and gas we have in Europe should be shared between all friendly European countries equally, so that we all suffer to the same degree. I would accept organised power cuts for four hours every day and some form or rationing until we sort things out. Of course these are just words and I no clue as to the logistics of what I am saying.

In the UK during the miners strikes of the 70's, the government imposed 3 day working weeks. You had power cuts and it was normal to eat your evening meals by candlelight. You went back to only heating one room in the house. What I am saying is you get past this things, you cope and I think that this man, Putin has to be stopped and we have to be willing to suffer a little to do it.
            We've sent the Russian economy into a tailspin already and many of the sanctions haven't had time to kick in yet. I'm not opposed to cutting use of Russian oil but I think that Europe can afford to wait a few weeks to let everything else smash into Russia's economy and to try and set up contingencies for itself before pulling the trigger on fuel too. Sanctions are unfortunately not looking to be a quick fix regardless. Putin is too stubborn and his hold on power too strong. If the world is going to be engaging in somewhat lengthy economic warfare then it behooves Europe to get as many ducks in a row as it can now rather than later. Plus, the less harm this does to your own civilian populations, the easier it will be to maintain.
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

i am thinking putins end will come from someone close to him,and the olagarchs are losing money and many are connected to the Russian mafia who will not stand for their money going away
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                i am thinking putins end will come from someone close to him,and the olagarchs are losing money and many are connected to the Russian mafia who will not stand for their money going away
                Agreed. I don't think he distances himself from everyone out of fear of Covid, but out of fear of poison.
                sigpic
                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                  Agreed. I don't think he distances himself from everyone out of fear of Covid, but out of fear of poison.
                  It's hard to poison somebody's underpants when they are separated from you by 10 ft of empty table.
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                    It's hard to poison somebody's underpants when they are separated from you by 10 ft of empty table.
                    Ha! Someone must cook for him, though. I wonder if he drinks Diet Coke served on a silver tray like his orange friend did.
                    sigpic

Comment

Threads are like time capsules. In todays news.
                      KYIV, Sept 9 (Reuters) - Ukrainian forces were charging through an expanding area of previously Russian-held territory in the east on Friday after bursting through the frontline in a surprise breakthrough that could mark a major turning point in the war.
                      After keeping silent for a day, Moscow effectively acknowledged that a section of its frontline had crumbled southeast of Ukraine's second largest city Kharkiv.
                      Last edited by Juniper; 22 Sep 2022, 18:40. Reason: remoted text format. impossible to read on dark backgrounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhythm View Post
                        Threads are like time capsules. In todays news.
                        [/FONT][/COLOR]
                        https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...ns-2022-09-08/
                        Ukraine has been doing surprisingly well throughout this conflict. Part of that is that Russia has been surprisingly inept since the beginning and Western powers are working hard to give Ukraine an effective "infinite ammo" cheat but contributing factors aside, Ukraine has been doing really, really well and far better than I expected back in early March.
                        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Same here, I thought that they could mount a decades long insurgency at best.

Comment

Russia went in with a lot of misplaced ego and propaganda, and no idea what they'd be up against.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X