Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Rant Thread X

Originally posted by iris View Post
    internet dating is hard. So in the spirit of advice giving, if you already ARE sending messages to them and they dont reply, maybe your approach needs adjustment. If they matched with you there's at least some interest. So instead of just saying hi, try asking about something relevant. See what her profile says, and ask a question about one of her interests, it shows real interest and has a better chance of getting a conversation going.
    For example if she is interested in a band, you could ask if she's ever seen them live. Or if there's a sport she likes, ask how she got started doing that. And if they don't respond, let it go.
    Yes, it is hard from what I heard from other people.

Comment

This coming spring will represent the first time in my life since I joined the service back on the 4th of July 01 that I haven't been a public servant in some capacity or another. I wish I could say that the experience filled me with a faith in humanity that I didn't have at the start - but I'm pretty sure I came into with a whole hell of alot more faith than I'm walking out.

Comment

I started school again. Not thrilled about that. We've all been assigned a study group we're supposed to work with. There are so many hand ins we HAVE to do as group work. I hate group work so much. 1. I don't like people 2. It always ends up being a last minute thing because nobody can be wrangled into actually working and that stresses me. 3. Because of 2, I end up doing the majority of the work just the be sure the assignments are actually done on time, resulting in the group just assuming I'll do that.
        Last edited by iris; 04 Sep 2022, 05:07.
        You remind me of the babe
        What babe?
        The babe with the power
        What power?
        The Power of voodoo
        Who do?
        You do!
        Do what?
        Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

I started school again. Not thrilled about that. We've all been assigned a study group we're supposed to work with. There are so many hand ins we HAVE to do as group work. I hate group work so much. 1. I don't like people 2. It always ends up being a last minute thing because nobody can be wrangled into actually working and that stresses me. 3. Because of 2, I end up doing the majority of the work just the be sure the assignments are actually done on time, resulting in the group just assuming I'll do that.
          Schools don't teach people how to work in a group. They toss them together and hope they figure it out. This tends to result in group projects being pointless hassle.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
            Schools don't teach people how to work in a group. They toss them together and hope they figure it out. This tends to result in group projects being pointless hassle.
            but it means the tachers don't have to grade nearly as many assignments. Which is why they usually do it -.-'
            I picked a study that is mostly remote and "individual" so I wouldn't have to deal with people... So why am I having to deal with people so much. Not all of us are people persons.
            What babe?
            The babe with the power
            What power?
            The Power of voodoo
            Who do?
            You do!
            Do what?
            Remind me of the babe!

Comment

but it means the tachers don't have to grade nearly as many assignments. Which is why they usually do it -.-'
              I picked a study that is mostly remote and "individual" so I wouldn't have to deal with people... So why am I having to deal with people so much. Not all of us are people persons.
              To be fair, social skills are skills not talents and more people could stand to learn them but if a school intends to teach them then it should actually find a way to teach them rather than throwing people at each other till they figure it out on their own because throwing people together till they figure it out doesn't actually work well for anyone who wasn't going to pick them up anyway.
              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

Recently Florida voted against a math book for having "too much SEL [social/emotional learning]" because it included a lesson on making the classroom more welcoming to all ability levels, i.e. telling the smart kids not to be snotty knowitalls. I'm not looking forward to working alongside the next generation who seems to be actively prevented from learning cooperation.

Comment

Originally posted by Chessa View Post
                  Recently Florida voted against a math book for having "too much SEL [social/emotional learning]" because it included a lesson on making the classroom more welcoming to all ability levels, i.e. telling the smart kids not to be snotty knowitalls. I'm not looking forward to working alongside the next generation who seems to be actively prevented from learning cooperation.
                  Of course it did.

I'm going to find the extra-dimensional entity trying to shift this into the dumbest timeline and I'm going to turn it into a pizza.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                    To be fair, social skills are skills not talents and more people could stand to learn them but if a school intends to teach them then it should actually find a way to teach them rather than throwing people at each other till they figure it out on their own because throwing people together till they figure it out doesn't actually work well for anyone who wasn't going to pick them up anyway.
                    oh I have the social skills. I lack the social energy. I get overwhelmed and burn out in people heavy environments. Which I why I actively chose something that would accommodate my needs... But then turned out to not be quite what it was advertised as. Still better than in person lectures.
                    What babe?
                    The babe with the power
                    What power?
                    The Power of voodoo
                    Who do?
                    You do!
                    Do what?
                    Remind me of the babe!

Comment

I'm going to be bluntly clear about what I'm about to say: I strongly support the black mermaid and I strongly support social justice. I don't give a flying crap what everyone else said. If anyone has an issue about the black mermaid then it proved that you a racist and I don't want to associate myself with bigots. I still stand by what I say. I'm done.

Comment

Audiences don't hate diverse characters. What they hate is being slammed as bigots for rejecting bad work from pretentious, unskilled activists posing as writers. If the demography of your characters is made more important than the story, well, your story is probably going to suck.
                        I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
                        Clan of my Clan
                        Kin of my Kin
                        Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                        And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                          Audiences don't hate diverse characters. What they hate is being slammed as bigots for rejecting bad work from pretentious, unskilled activists posing as writers. If the demography of your characters is made more important than the story, well, your story is probably going to suck.
                          Good point though but I still stand by my original rant.

Comment

Rick's post reminded me of this whole twitter kerfuffle about Stan Lee. People were quick to assume he was homophobic for saying Peter Parker should never be gay, when what he really meant was that you can't just take a straight character and slap a big ole "gay" sticker on them and call it good representation. Lookin at you, unnamed British author.

Comment

I think it's true that there are people who see a show (and remakes) and think..meh, formulaic. Take successful ip, add youth and diversity (it's unclear that the originals were other-than that, ofc). I see it alot myself. That hypothetical (and unobjectionable) assertion doesn't change the fact that a very large number of people who make such comments are..in fact, white christian nationalists.

We can say that a person doesn't have to be a bigot to say x..and that's true...but it still remains the case that many bigots do say x, the bigotry being elective, apparently. The current division in american politics isn't due to virtue signaling libs wrongfully accusing good and wholesome conservative people of bigotry - but of people who have been conditioned against bigotry...struggling to contextualize and be comfortable with their own bigotry. They have convictions..but (thankfully as of yet ) lack the courage of those convictions.
                              Last edited by Rhythm; 23 Sep 2022, 12:18.

Comment

So anyway the woman that I talk to on Facebook Dating turns out to be an E-bigger. It turns out very smoothly that we have so much stuff in common. However, things went completely downhill when she was begging me for money that she claims she lost her wallet. That was my social cue by saying Girl, Bye and I block her for good.

Comment

Working...
                                X