Invoking the Divine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invoking the Divine

In Wicca-style witchcraft a big part of ritual is invoking the divine, calling upon the God and Goddess or whatever specific deity you choose to work with. I don't really feel comfortable working with anything labeled God. So up until now I have just skipped that part but I feel like it may have been detrimental to my workings because I never called upon spirit to join me as I call upon the air, earth, water, and fire. I am not very good writing my own things yet, or at least not very confident, and I can't find much about Invoking the Divine as THE spirit, aether, akasha, etc. The ALL that is everywhere and inside you. I am hoping someone here will be able to help me find the words to call and show proper respect to the element spirit, after I have called in the quarters. I would like to show spirit a bit more reverence than the other elements but without using god or goddess representations.

Re: Invoking the Divine

What is Spirit to you?

Is it some form of genderless divinity (i.e. Menol from The Craft just so I can use 90s movie references)

Is it one element in five

Is it the Force and maybe/maybe not a divinity (opinions are mixed as to whether the Force has a consciousness)

What it is will determine how you do this.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Re: Invoking the Divine

Don't be overly concerned with hierarchies of non-physical entities. These are human attempts to define things that don't match human categories.

It's easier if you think of them as a single thing that shows you the "parts" (qualities) that you want to see (this isn't how it works in a literal sense, but it's the best approximation I can give you).

That being the case, the question I would ask myself is "What do I need to do what I want to do?" and then "Can I do it?"
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
      X