I'm Neutral About The Law Enforcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm Neutral About The Law Enforcement

I'm very neutral about law enforcement nowadays. In the past, I didn't trust the police because some of the police are racist and killed people of color due to racial profiling, police brutality, and excessive force. But nowadays some of the police officers around my neighborhood are nice people. I do say hi and say good morning officer or good afternoon officer and they said hello back. So some of the police officers are nice people. I don't support the corrupt police officers and everything they stand for and represent but I'm neutral about the good police officers.

Re: I'm Neutral About The Law Enforcement

I used to feel the same way, until I realized that their application of law enforcement is very subjective. Living in Portland for the last 10 years I've seen a bad thing get a whole lot worse.

I don't want to get into the weeds on this...to be honest, rehashing it all just makes me more furious (probably because once upon a time I considered policing as a career option). Locally we've had the police (and sherrifs) flat out state that they would not enforce any legally enacted gun legislation (reduced magazine capacity, for example). I've watched them use flashbangs and tear gas on legal protestors, watched them ignore a "gunfight" in downtown Portland (because the shooters were white, and they were shooting at protestors).

The biggest complaint that I've heard from them that "sounds" legit is that the "DA isn't prosecuting criminals", but when I dug into it, it seems that the DA *has* been defunded. Can you guess who controls that funding? The best I could find is that it's all part of the same pool of money that pays the cops.

The mayor (DINO) has full charge of the police force here and he (as well as the cops) have been caught multiple times coordinating with domestic terrorists and white supremacists - even to the point of "inviting" them for counterprotests, declaring that the cops would leave *those guys* alone.

There's a lot. A whole lot.

Of course, that doesn't speak to the world at large of policing, but the more I hear about supposed "good cops", the less I'm able to find them. Digging on any individual cop seems to turn up some pretty nasty connections unless that particular cop is 'brand new'.

Most recently: https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/202...ra-policy.html

Cops have been fighting this for at least as long as I've lived here. I'm not certain when the body cameras were voted on to be implemented, but it's another example of at least the local cops just "deciding" that laws are for the peons to follow.

For anyone that might be inclined to suggest that I'm painting with 'too broad' a brush, let me toss you this tidbit: https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/202...-about-it.html

And finally, a meme that I saved a long time ago kind of expresses the problem with police in general is attached for your consideration.
    Attached Files

Comment

I'm sure it's just an oversight.
      A Latino man and a Black man went missing three months apart in Florida. Both vanished after getting in a car driven by the same White deputy sheriff.

Comment

Wow, that's crazy. I mean there will always be bad apples in the law enforcement unit, unfortunately.
        Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 21 Apr 2023, 13:55.

Comment

Indeed, but if you look at the etymology of the entire phrase, I don't think it means what people think that it means.

(sorry - it's this kind of behavior that people didn't miss from me lol)
          Last edited by Roknrol; 21 Apr 2023, 14:25.

Comment

Seems they should be more interested in replacing the bad apples instead of rehiring them. Law Enforcement is a real problem IMO
            The former Louisville police officer who fatally shot Breonna Taylor has a new job in law enforcement in a county northeast of the city. The Carroll County Sheriff’s Office has hired Myles Cosgrove. Taylor was killed in March 2020 when police used a faulty drug warrant to break through her door. Cosgrove fired 16 shots after Taylor's boyfriend shot an officer. None of the white officers who fired into the Black woman's home were charged in her death. The FBI later determined that their superior officers used false information to obtain the warrant.

Comment

My grandpa used to be a police officer. He's long been dead, but all I can say is that he would be deeply ashamed of the police force in all the U.S. He lived in Beckley, WV and I stayed there for most of my life. It is a small city comparable to most of the others in WV. Things may have been a bit different back then, but he definitely wouldn't have stood for what some of the police are doing today. At the end of his career he was a Sargent. I just don't know where things have gone nowadays.
              Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
                My grandpa used to be a police officer. He's long been dead, but all I can say is that he would be deeply ashamed of the police force in all the U.S. He lived in Beckley, WV and I stayed there for most of my life. It is a small city comparable to most of the others in WV. Things may have been a bit different back then, but he definitely wouldn't have stood for what some of the police are doing today. At the end of his career he was a Sargent. I just don't know where things have gone nowadays.
                I'm pretty sure that your grandfather was a good police officer. Yes, nowadays some police officers are just jerks who don't deserve to be in law enforcement.

Comment

I don't want to disparage anyone (or their grandfather).

But policing started as a means to capture slaves. And I don't think the past is as different from the present as we would like to hope that it is.

As far as "what has changed"? Based on what I can tell, the only real change is in the public's ability to record and show what has actually been taking place.

I don't think that any of that is going to change until mandatory body cameras are universally adopted, and until criminal cops have to pay their own "fines" (instead of it coming out of a general Union Fund where accountability is up to...the cops). When cops have to pay the price for their own actions, *maybe* we'll see a shift. I say "maybe" because the racism seems to be fundamentally baked in. Much like anyone in power, they will resist change.

Have I met "nice" cops? Maybe? I mean, I've met cops that were nice to ME, but since I'm white it would be naive of me to assume that their treatment of me is the same as their treatment of, say, the schizophrenic black man living in the refrigerator box down the street.

Comment

Originally posted by Roknrol View Post
                    I don't want to disparage anyone (or their grandfather).

But policing started as a means to capture slaves. And I don't think the past is as different from the present as we would like to hope that it is.

As far as "what has changed"? Based on what I can tell, the only real change is in the public's ability to record and show what has actually been taking place.

I don't think that any of that is going to change until mandatory body cameras are universally adopted, and until criminal cops have to pay their own "fines" (instead of it coming out of a general Union Fund where accountability is up to...the cops). When cops have to pay the price for their own actions, *maybe* we'll see a shift. I say "maybe" because the racism seems to be fundamentally baked in. Much like anyone in power, they will resist change.

Have I met "nice" cops? Maybe? I mean, I've met cops that were nice to ME, but since I'm white it would be naive of me to assume that their treatment of me is the same as their treatment of, say, the schizophrenic black man living in the refrigerator box down the street.
                    Well, I'm mixed (African/Hispanic American). I've met all types of police officers from a variety of races. My experience has been very positive with all of the police officers that I talk to.

Comment

I understand what you mean. This country is going to hell in a hand basket. I think my grandfather would be upset because the way anyone is being treated. Despite Beckley being a smallish city there were a lot of people of different races who went to my school and church. Some were Indian, Phillipino, Black, etc... I also have met a lot of nice policemen while I have been working and when I haven't worked. No matter their color I am always respectful. These are people who protect us. I can't imagine doing their job. Their definitely needs to be protocols in place to make things safe for civilians. I am hoping things will change, but I don't see that soon. We still have a long way to go.
                      Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

I think that it's telling that the people that fight the hardest against actual accountability for cops, are cops.

Comment

Working...
                        X