migraine pain treatments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: migraine pain treatments?

Thanks, Thaleia, I'll check out the trigger point options next time I have a migraine. I do have classic migraine pain that occurs in specific points (penny-sized or smaller) on my temples and along my eyebrows (usually one point on one side per migraine, though sometimes symmetrically bilateral). It looks like on those diagrams that cover my migraine areas, there are also large areas shaded along the neck and back of the head. Do people with trigger points get pain in several areas at once, or is it possible to have classic migraine pain and a trigger point?

As for the diet thing... I'm actually pretty low on common trigger foods (though I suppose that depends on what list you're looking at). It's really milk and chocolate (or fresh fruit, bread, peanut butter... goodness, lists like this one http://www.webmd.com/migraines-heada...specific-foods include most food). I drink maybe one glass of wine or a Mike's per month, and I'm a vegetarian who eats relatively little that is processed/preserved. I've thought about cutting out all possible triggers for 6 weeks to see what happens, but haven't yet because I'd basically be eating edamame, rice, and veggies for that whole time. I guess my question is, is 6 weeks long enough to know for sure that it's not a food trigger issue? And is it worth the risk of malnutrition during that time for lack of food options?

I drink almost no caffeine (though I get bits in chocolate), and I've noticed a slight increase in likelihood to get a migraine when I have a cup of green or black tea. Dunno what to think there, as I know small doses do help some people.

By hormonal fluctuations do you mean a "normal" menstrual cycle, or something more complicated? What do you use? My migraines suddenly started having a hormonal component about 9 months ago, and I partially control it with the ortho-evra patch (which is more migraine-effective than no birth control, nuvaring, or a pill for me) but I still get nasty clusters before my period.

Gah! The whole thing is so frustrating.

Comment

Try keeping a map of the areas where you have pain and the intensity as well as a diary of foods and any symptoms you experience. It's tedious and time consuming but, trust me, it's invaluable information for a doctor since he/she will be able to find patterns that you may overlook. As for the common trigger foods, I suggest going off one type of food at a time. That way it's easier to identify the culprits through process of elimination.

I mostly did the research myself using an awesome book called "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" by Phyllis A. Balch CNC and James F. Balch M.D. It has a more holistic way of treating ailments using vitamins, minerals, and home remedies. Herbs are also mentioned but I found it to lacking in specifics like dosage, so I got a book called "Medical Herbalism" by David Hoffman, FNIMH, AHG.

For myself I found that red wine (although white wine is ok), preservatives & enhancers (i.e. sulphates, nitrates and MSG), and aspartame are my strict no-no foods. Also foods high in lactose (since I'm lactose intolerant) and fat (clogg up my liver) disrupt my digestive system and can indirectly trigger a migraine. I've learned to make it a habit to read every single label and look for these.

My little sister, on the other hand, is allergic to milk (as opposed to intolerant), chocolate, chicken, turkey, as well as other common household items. She had one of those dermal patch tests from the allergist. She's also on an antidepressant used for migraines called Amitriptyline that has helped a lot.

But hers, like mine, are mostly tied to her menstrual cycle. Any wide swing in estrogen levels can trigger a massive migraine. Weather high levels or low levels and it can occur in any part of the cycle (right before menstruation or at ovulation). That't why I was on an herb called Chast tree (also Vitex berry) Vitex agnus-castus. It regulates your hormones to a balanced level; if they're too high, it'll lower them; too low, and it'll elevate them. I haven't needed to take it in a long time though, but I should probably start another 3-month cycle. During my estrogen dips (which I start to cry uncontrollably for no apparent reason), I immediately treat it by inhaling 2-3 drops of anise seed Pimpinella anisum essential oil on a tissue.

When I was 15, the gynecologist diagnosed me with mild poly-cystic ovarian syndrome. She told me I'd have to go on Yazmin contraceptive pills for at least 5 years. Although it would help with my menstrual regularity, they would give me hyperactivity followed by horrible migraines. They lowered the dose but after a while (like a year) on the Yaz low dose, the symptoms slowly returned. I stopped taking the pill after 1 1/2 years. I'm now 23, my tumor is still there but it did shrink considerably, and I grew out of the irregular cycles.

Also, remember that although one suffers from migraines, not all headaches ARE migraines. I referred to the "Prescription for Natural Healing" and found at least 21 types of headaches. Remember that whenever someone is telling you about home remedies that worked for them. You said you suffered from classic migraines? Well, I have common migraines. No aura, funny smells, or numbness. My symptoms are nausea, dizziness, and sensitivity to light and sound accompanied by a dull throbbing pain either in front of my head (right behind one of my eyes) or behind the head (near one of my ears). That right there is a major difference as to how to treat them.

[color=red]My friend's mom - "What's the name of that movie with Mel Gibson and the ailiens?"
      My friend- "Passion of the Crist"
      Me= *ROFLMGAO*

Comment

I meant classic migraine pain in location and intensity (though the intensity and duration are way, way down thanks to a hefty preventative regimen of anti-seizure drug gabapentin). I frequently have much light and some sound sensitivity. I always get tired, and I very occasionally get nauseated. I can point to the exact four spots where they occur (with roughly equal frequency): two above the inner corners of my eyebrows, two on the temples just above the ends of my eyebrows. I've never had numbness, auras, or sensory hallucinations. Dunno what kind of migraine that adds up to. Hm... I might check this book out, if it's got that much detail about different types and treatments.

I keep a record of dates I have the above style of migraines (and almost all of my headaches nowadays either manifest as migraines or start as normal headaches and shift into migraines), the pain intensity, dates of my period, what preventers I'm on at any given time, and what pain meds I take to kill each specific migraine. I can add a food and pain location diary to the list.

If I remove food triggers one at a time, how far apart should I space removals to know which food(s) are having an effect? In other words, about how long will it take to stop having food-triggered migraines if a particular food I remove has been a trigger?

Comment

TBH, I stopped having 99% of my migraines when I had breast reduction surgery...
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=213.msg6774#msg6774 date=1288048568]
            TBH, I stopped having 99% of my migraines when I had breast reduction surgery...
            [/quote]

You mentioned this. Do you know why that did it?

Comment

[quote author=Gwen link=topic=213.msg6700#msg6700 date=1288036552]
              I meant classic migraine pain in location and intensity (though the intensity and duration are way, way down thanks to a hefty preventative regimen of anti-seizure drug gabapentin). I frequently have much light and some sound sensitivity. I always get tired, and I very occasionally get nauseated. [/quote]http://optimumsportsperformance.com/blog/?cat=6

Here are some more articles about migraines, and especially the other symptoms preceding a migraine that most people would overlook.
              http://www.healthtree.com/articles/t...ine-headaches/
              http://www.healthtree.com/articles/t...ches/symptoms/
              http://www.healthtree.com/articles/t...aches/cluster/ >> on cluster headaches

I keep a record of dates I have the above style of migraines (and almost all of my headaches nowadays either manifest as migraines or start as normal headaches and shift into migraines), the pain intensity, dates of my period, what preventers I'm on at any given time, and what pain meds I take to kill each specific migraine. I can add a food and pain location diary to the list.
              Another thing I have recommended to some female clients (who are comfortable with it) is to keep an ovulation calendar. This is more specific that just jotting down the beginning and end of your periods. It gives you more precise information as to whenhttp://www.fertilityfriend.com/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menstrual_cycle

I know all this charting is time consuming, especially with our busy lives, but for women who have severe PMS (including migraines) and PMDD, polycystic ovarian syndrome, and even ones who want to get pregnant, this gives them some personal control and peace of mind knowing that there are safer and more natural options available other than prescription medication and synthetic hormones; as well as the added bonus of taking the time to listen to their bodies and develop self-awareness.

And yes, prescription medication may also be required but most of the time at not so high doses, thus less side effects.

If I remove food triggers one at a time, how far apart should I space removals to know which food(s) are having an effect? In other words, about how long will it take to stop having food-triggered migraines if a particular food I remove has been a trigger?

[color=red]My friend's mom - "What's the name of that movie with Mel Gibson and the ailiens?"
              My friend- "Passion of the Crist"
              Me= *ROFLMGAO*

Comment

[quote author=Gwen link=topic=213.msg6814#msg6814 date=1288052180]
                You mentioned this. Do you know why that did it?
                [/quote]

lol, I knew I said it somewhere, and I was at school...so I didn't check where...

But I'm guessing its because of being less tense and less stressed from carrying the extra weight (same reason people have back problems and such), and being able to be more physically active leading to better diet and less triggers.
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

lol i was reading this thread getting ready to post about my frequent migranes..... BUT apparently dufonce has already offered that information to you LOL...... nice love....
                  yeah I have a problem remembering to drink regularly......

....... that reminds me... I'm really thirsty..... *off to get some water*
                  "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Comment

Thanks everyone for such awesome support and advice! Thaleia, you've given me a lot to read and think about. Thalassa, I'm guessing that's not my problem (I'm fairly proportionate) but I appreciate the input! Yukanaoe, glad you figured out what works for you. ^_^

Comment

Working...
                    X