Reputation - how does this work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reputation - how does this work?

This is going to be rather involved, so bear with me.

First, where is it? How do I see what Reputation I have and who all gave it?

Click on settings in the upper right corner of the page (next to log out), and scroll all the way to the bottom, you should be able to see the list there. (Thanks goes to Gardenia for posting this!)

This list, or history of clicks on your Rep, only goes back so far. 15 clicks, I believe. It's not a complete history, so you may want to check it now and again. If you're interested, that is.

Reputation Levels

User is infamous around these parts -999999
    User can only hope to improve -100
    User has a little shameless behaviour in the past -25
    User is an unknown quantity at this point 0
    User is on a distinguished road 10
    User will become famous soon enough 50
    User has a spectacular aura about 150
    User is a jewel in the rough 250
    User is just really nice 350
    User is a glorious beacon of light 450
    User is a name known to all 550
    User is a splendid one to behold 650
    User has much to be proud of 1000
    User has a brilliant future 1500
    User has a reputation beyond repute 2000

How does one get their reputation?

Reputation is gained or taken away (sort of like our old Wyrd system: + or -) by readers leaving clicks, one way or the other, for one's post. At the bottom of each post is a small asterisk or star - (looks like the Star of David, if you ask me) that, when you click on it, a pop-up window gives you the option of Approve or Disapprove and room to leave a comment.

Easy enough?

You can see where one is at (assuming they haven't hidden it LOL) by the little indicator below their avatar, right below the username, in each post. Just hover your cursor over the tiny square(s) to see the Reputation Level (as shown above, with how much rep it takes for each level.)

Now the fun part:

How much does one's reputation change, with each click?

That depends on who is doing the clicking. There's a thing called Reputation Power, that is the amount by which others reputation(s) will be changed. For example; I have a Rep Power of 10. When I click on someone's reputation, I change their reputation amount by 10 points.

Everyone has a Reputation Power as well as a Reputation Level.
    Brand new users will start out with a Rep Level of 0 (zero). The only way to change it is by others approving or disapproving and clicking on the Reputation.
    Reputation power, on the other hand, changes, as time goes by, as people get to know you, as you post and even as your reputation grows.

That is: for every 365 days, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.
    For every 1000 posts, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.
    For every 50 points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

There is a 50 post minimum AND a 50 rep minimum before one's rep clicks (or reputation hits) will actually count on others. There's also limits on how often one can give rep to the same person or rep to others, in one day, etc. Patience!

Nobody is going to get anywhere fast with this, and it will work much better than the old Wyrd system. Less like a game and more useful.

Obviously, there's room for changes or improvements/adjustments in the settings but this is a start. If anyone has any questions, ideas or thoughts... even ridicule, to be honest, about this feature, don't hesitate to post!

And thank you, to all of you, for your patience and understanding during this massive change-over!! PF just wouldn't BE Pagan Forum, if it weren't for all of you!!

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Re: Reputation - how does this work?

Thanks for the clarity, Chain! <3
    It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
    -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

Chain, a day or two ago two people had added to my reputation and I could see who they were and where it had been added.... now it has disappeared and I can't find anything. I know I'm really slow at picking things up, but I would like to try and find what's happened. Can you suggest anything please?
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Click on settings in the upper right corner of the page (next to log out), and scroll all the way to the bottom, you should be able to see the list there.
        Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Thank you - have found them again now!
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Gardenia View Post
            Click on settings in the upper right corner of the page (next to log out), and scroll all the way to the bottom, you should be able to see the list there.
            (emphasis mine)

Yes, this is equally important, to see where you are at, with your reputation. Sorry, I forgot to add that! I'll edit the post, now.

And thank you, Gardenia!!!

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Ok, I know I'm not tech savvy but I need some further assistance.

I looked at my history and it says I have ten points, yet I only have one post showing that received points. Am I missing something, or do I need to look further?

Edit: Whoops, had to re-read that. I think it's time I eat dinner if I misconstrued that.
              Last edited by Caelia; 07 Feb 2011, 15:29.
              my etsy store
              My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
              surrounded by plush, downy things,
              ill prepared, but willing,
              to descend."

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
                Ok, I know I'm not tech savvy but I need some further assistance.

I looked at my history and it says I have ten points, yet I only have one post showing that received points. Am I missing something, or do I need to look further?
                From what you've said, here, I would surmise that the one post that you earned points on? Was clicked, to give you rep, by someone that had a rep power of 10.

That is, say, Rok had a Reputation Power of 375? And he clicked on your post? He'd change your rep by 375 points. And judging by the above guidelines, that one click would change your Rep Power by 7 points, as well as changing your Reputation by the 375.

Comment

Thank you, Chain. I needed the simple language right now
                  my etsy store
                  My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                  surrounded by plush, downy things,
                  ill prepared, but willing,
                  to descend."

Comment

Ahh...I've been trying to figure out what people were talking about!
                    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

And now the rep that was visible on the left on the member info list has disappeared ...
                      I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Originally posted by magusjinx View Post
                        And now the rep that was visible on the left on the member info list has disappeared ...
                        You mean the information to the left of your posts? It's still there, it's just moved. It's the little dot below your user rank and above your user picture. If you mouse over it, you'll see one of the lines from Chain's list.
                        Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Power ... More power ...
                          I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Originally posted by Gardenia View Post
                            You mean the information to the left of your posts? It's still there, it's just moved. It's the little dot below your user rank and above your user picture. If you mouse over it, you'll see one of the lines from Chain's list.
                            That icon was always there since we enabled the Rep system. The little bar/dot. But the part in the Postbit where it displayed Rep Power, that's gone.
                            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                            Sneak Attack
                            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Heh, I think I might have confused it for the online symbol since it was also at the bottom.
                              Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Working...
                              X