Banners that make noise need to die and other internet annoyances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banners that make noise need to die and other internet annoyances

I made a separate thread for this rather than post in the rant thread, because I know a lot of other people hate these too. Vent your frustration here!

Or your hate for something else internet-related.

Re: Banners that make noise need to die and other internet annoyances

I hate those little adds that pop up in the middle of the screen wanting you to sign up for something on the website your on. It irks me!

Comment

Or when your pointer runs across a word that is highlighted and a window pops up ... I wanna read, not keep clicking "close window" ...
      I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

I hate, hate, hate ads that hijack a page. Seriously, I don't want to take a stupid quiz that will give me every virus and malware under the sun!
        my etsy store
        My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
        surrounded by plush, downy things,
        ill prepared, but willing,
        to descend."

Comment

I was on the official website for a magazine...a MAJOR magazine....and every time I tried to read one of the Sex and Dating articles I got diverted to match.de. Seriously, not a popup, not an ad you can close...straight up diverted and if you went back, you just get sent there again. I don't WANT to join a dating site! I wasn't even reading the German edition (I guess just because my ip is in Germany). I didn't want to read those articles -that- badly but I complained anyway because it was really annoying.

Comment

I used to get SO annoyed with popups, alone. I don't care what it's for! Quit popping that crap up, when I'm trying to look at a website!

But now? It's the pop-unders that boil my blood. Okay, I looked at the page, read all I wanted to read and then closed the browser. And my desktop is covered in layers of ads! Pop ups are blocked. Pop-unders don't count, apparently. I have way too many filthy names for that trash.

Seriously, it reminds me of telemarketers calling me to ask if I want new windows on my house. Uh, if I wanted new windows or new siding I wouldn't have been sitting on my thumbs waiting for someone to come to me with the stuff. Pizza Hut doesn't call me to ask if I want a pizza for dinner, tonight. Holiday Gas Station doesn't call and ask if I want them to put gasoline in my truck.

It's the same damn thing.

If I want it, I'll GO look for it, myself. Stop ruining my internet experience with hassles, annoyances and the time consuming eradication of left-over windows when I close my damn browser!

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Everytime I try to watch something online (like southpark or whatever) I get a million fucking pop-ups. It really does piss me off. Or even worse "if you want to watch this please take this quiz!" PISS OFF! AHH!
              "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

I sorta get this on my lj comms with auto play on videos. I read the first entry on a page of 25 entries and I have to hurry so I can click over to the next page and off the auto play page! Grr.
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by FantasyWitch View Post
                  Everytime I try to watch something online (like southpark or whatever) I get a million fucking pop-ups. It really does piss me off. Or even worse "if you want to watch this please take this quiz!" PISS OFF! AHH!
                  Yeah same, and a lot of them make noise too...all the ones I get that make noise are German too. I think Germans are still learning the ins and outs of internet marketing.

The thing that bugs me the most is that it's usually for some crap game or something that no one wants. It's really ineffective marketing to annoy people. Sure, I see your ad, but I'd rather sell my soul than click on it after you rudely interrupted my browsing. If you want people to visit your site, get out there...network with other sites, work with social media, have an actual presence. Don't irritate people. Of course, since most of it is for bs I guess the legit ways of net marketing don't really do much...

Comment

Just in general, I hate it when something on the internet does somehing I haven't asked it to - pop ups, pop unders, flying banners, animations, noises, little boxes that float up and down the page as I try to read - the whole lot of it. I put it all in the same category as those little adds that run on the bottom of the TV screen when I'm trying to watch a movie - the category is labeled "Stuff that makes me wish there really was a hell."
                    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Since I got my Mac I don't get pop ups. When I had my Dell I would get them all of time. I don't know the reason for this, but I like it. I will never have Windows again...
                      sigpic

Comment

I hate the fact that so many websites require the use of Internet Explorer or Google Chrome, like Netflix. Why, why must I watch videos on IE/Chrome? It's not fair!

I also cannot stand search engines embedded in browsers that automatically send you to the most popular web page that your search term matches - like Bing sending me directly to a wikipedia page. When I search for something, I want a list of sites from which to choose to visit, not automatically getting sent to a website I loathe.

I have a superiority complex when it comes to pop-ups, ads, cookies & privacy settings. I use SeaMonkey, which is built on Mozilla's architecture and supports most Mozilla/Firefox add-ons.

I frickin' <3 AdBlock so hard! That, and the CSLite cookie controller & built-in pop-up blocking.
                        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                          I hate the fact that so many websites require the use of Internet Explorer or Google Chrome, like Netflix. Why, why must I watch videos on IE/Chrome? It's not fair!
                          I have regular old firefox and google as my homepage. I watch Netflix instant movies on my laptop all the time. Am I missing something here?:=I:
                          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                            I have regular old firefox and google as my homepage. I watch Netflix instant movies on my laptop all the time. Am I missing something here?:=I:
                            Hrmmm, maybe they changed something? Or maybe Firefox changed something. It's been awhile since I tried it out.
                            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by LiadanWillows View Post
                              Since I got my Mac I don't get pop ups. When I had my Dell I would get them all of time. I don't know the reason for this, but I like it. I will never have Windows again...
                              I use a Mac, and I don't get popups but I do still get pop unders and stupid noisy banners (which are built into the page and you can't avoid, no matter which OS you're using). Whoever makes noisy banners needs to get shot.

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

I always hated Firefox. So I don't know about pages just taking Chrome. I'm big on Chrome and Safari (IE can go die).

Comment

Working...
                              X