This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Conversion

Saw this link on another forum, though some of you might find it interesting...

The guy running the project calls it 'Twelve Months of Spiritual Promiscuity' - basically, he's spending each month studying/practicing a different religion, for one year. (Last month was Hinduism, this month Baha'i.)
    Hearth and Hedge

Re: Project Conversion

that's interesting. thannnnks for link!
    It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
    -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

That is really interesting! I can't wait to go home and read more.
      It does not do to dwell in dreams and forget to live - Albus Dumbledore

Comment

How wonderful! *bookmarking*
        sigpic

Comment

I like this ...

"O people of the world! Build ye houses of worship throughout the lands in the name of Him Who is the Lord of all religions. Make them as perfect as is possible in the world of being, and adorn them with that which befitteth them, not with images and effigies. Then, with radiance and joy, celebrate therein the praise of your Lord, the Most Compassionate. Verily, by His remembrance the eye is cheered and the heart is filled with light. " ...

Could apply to any and all beliefs ...
          I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

that is super!
            what a great way to learn about so many different things!
            What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

That seems like an interesting way to learn about religions. As long as he's being fully respectful of each religion (and I can't see anything on his site to indicate that he isn't). I do wonder, though, why he's practicing instead of researching? Do you think it gives more knowledge or insight?

Comment

Originally posted by PharaohKatt View Post
                Do you think it gives more knowledge or insight?
                It might... I mean, what better way to get to know someone than to put yourself in their shoes, right? It's one thing to know that X does Y, but it's another thing to actually do it and experience it.
                Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Very cool!

Also, it seems to me that for him to 'practice' any religion he would have had to research it first???

Ultimately, I love the idea of practicing each of them and I think it would most definitely offer a more thorough understanding for him.
                  Last edited by cesara; 13 Feb 2011, 07:37.
                  Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

I'm not sure I do like this. Unless he's got some serious flexible beliefs, he's just "going through the motions". I suppose one can learn the ritualistic dance moves of any religion, but when there's no faith, what's the point?

All it proves to me is that most religions are just about dance moves, and very little about anything else, no matter what lip service it is paid.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
                      I'm not sure I do like this. Unless he's got some serious flexible beliefs, he's just "going through the motions". I suppose one can learn the ritualistic dance moves of any religion, but when there's no faith, what's the point?

All it proves to me is that most religions are just about dance moves, and very little about anything else, no matter what lip service it is paid.
                      Well yes and no. While I choose to be Jewish, I am henotheistic. So I have faith that the other Gods DO exist, I choose to worship the one my ancestors chose. It took a lot of dancing to find my way to somewhere I feel is the correct path for me, for now.

Comment

I agree with this. Though I do think that going through the motions and researching strengthens the current faith of the individual or helps that person change and mold their faith to match them as a spiritual being.
                        sigpic

Comment

I don't know about his personal beliefs before he started the project, if he wrote about them I missed it, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that his beliefs are flexible enough to allow for this sort of thing. (I mean, if he were very serious about a particular faith that was not flexible I don't know if he'd be doing this in the first place?)
                          That said, even if he is just going through the motions, I don't think that means it's pointless. Would you say learning about another religion is pointless? This is just one way to study the religions of the world - and not really a bad way, either. Going right to the source, reading holy texts, attending their services, talking to spiritual leaders and every day people of the faith. Going through the motions can bring a new respect for the motions, and the devotion people who do them may have.
                          Hearth and Hedge

Comment

There are certainly people who believe that every religion holds truth. Perhaps that's what he believes, and he's searching for his own personal truth?

Comment

I was a bit on the fence with this one for a couple of days but I think overall I have to agree with Gardenia and Pharaohkatt. 'Going through the motions' is not necessarily a bad thing as long as it is done with an open mind and respect. How many of us have gone through many different religions whilst trying to find the one that is right for us? This, in my opinion, is not much different, he is just doing it consciously and in a much shorter period of time.
                              http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
                              X