This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Satanic stereotypes

So I thought I'd start to try to push my religion a bit more up front around these parts!
    Out of curiosity, what are (or were) your preconceived opinions about Satanists? :devil:
    Satan is my spirit animal

Re: Satanic stereotypes

Nothing personal - the only two self proclaimed Satanists I've met in real life were obsessed with morbidity and death. One actually committed suicide, and the other one thought that that was the coolest thing ever.

I know this isn't you though..., but that's where my previous prejudice came from.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

They are teenagers.
        [4:82]

Comment

i suppose my main stereotype of a satanist is that they worship satan (as in lucifer) and whats weird as even as i write this and decide to research this i still cant figure out if its truth or sterotype
          But mummy the other religions dont have to 'an it harm none'

Comment

I didn't make much point of thinking about them so my grand total view came out to

Laveyen = Atheists with a strange taste in symbols.

Theistic = Rare outside the ranks of particularly annoying teenagers.
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I had the advantage of knowing a theistic Satanist when I was little (my oldest sister), so I didn't have a lot of preconception.

However, I have met many Satanists who are absolute egotistic, self-centered, narcissistic assholes. I've also met a lot of Chaotics & Ceremonialists who fall under the same description, so I think it could be that those paths just attract egotistic, self-centered narcissistic assholes. Or maybe they feel they can use their religion as an excuse for being that way.

(I, too, can be an ESCNA but I try not to blame my experience with Ceremonialism for my behavior. Instead, I think I embraced the rigors and satisfaction of Ceremonialism because I am an ESCNA).
              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I've only known one self-proclaimed Satanist in real life. She was a girl I went to middle school with who carried the Satanic Bible around (along with her Anne Rice books) and was obsessed with vampires and goth culture. I just sort of shrugged it off, as I figured she was doing it more for shock value than anything. I kind of wonder what she's like now though, not because I think Satanism and goth culture did anything bad to her, but because I wonder if it influenced her present path or if it truly was a teenage rebellion thing.

My ex boyfriend had a Satanist friend, who he said was really egotistical.

Other than that, I think the only Satanist I've seen was a woman who was on Miami Ink once, and she (aside from the gothic look, which I also have no problem with) seemed pretty friendly.

I think in middle/high school I had some preconceived notions and stereotypes about rebellious goth kids wanting to freak their parents out, but since then I've come to realize Satanism is really like any other path or religion...there are good people and bad people. There are people who take it seriously and are willing to educate the public and grow as a person from it and people who do it for power or attention that give it a bad name.

I really knew nothing about Satanism till I joined this forum and started reading your posts Medusa. Thanks for enlightening me!

Comment

I also assumed that they worshipped "Satan"
                  What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

I thought they eat babies. So I joined.
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                      I thought they eat babies. So I joined.
                      That's such a stereotype. They actually eat old people. For human meat to be good, you have to let it properly age.
                      Cogito ergo sum.

My blog type thing: RaineV1.tumblr.com

Comment

Beef has to age a bit too ... Actually most meats do ... Except seafood ...

I always thought they were disgruntled Christians ... Rebeling against God ...
                        I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow Dragon View Post
                          That's such a stereotype. They actually eat old people. For human meat to be good, you have to let it properly age.
                          Old people are tough, stringy & don't have any flavor. Baby meat is like veal - it's tender, fragrant and goes well with a nice chianti.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                            Old people are tough, stringy & don't have any flavor. Baby meat is like veal - it's tender, fragrant and goes well with a nice chianti.
                            HEY ... I resemble that remark ... I am far from stringy ... I am very well marbled and well flavored ... Wanna taste? ...
                            I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Originally posted by magusjinx View Post
                              HEY ... I resemble that remark ... I am far from stringy ... I am very well marbled and well flavored ... Wanna taste? ...
                              old people = tough, stringy, flavorless

Magus = tender, meaty, tasty

Therefore Magus =/= old

Comment

Working...
                              X