Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a Mormon

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

Re: Ask a Mormon

What's up with that whole no-coffee-no-alcohol thing? (The only mormons I've ever known in real life were my neighbours as a teen. They were REALLY weird - does mormonism have any "weird" rules/regulations it has to follow?)
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Jun 2007
    Religion
    Norse Something-or-Other
    Phrase
    Nice is not the same as good.

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=219.msg6204#msg6204 date=1287883976]
    What's up with that whole no-coffee-no-alcohol thing? (The only mormons I've ever known in real life were my neighbours as a teen. They were REALLY weird - does mormonism have any "weird" rules/regulations it has to follow?)
    [/quote]

Short answer is that the Word of Wisdom was given to Joseph Smith by God as a series of dietary restrictions that members were to follow with a promise of additional strength.

18 And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones;
    19 And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures;
    20 And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint.
    21 And I, the Lord, give unto them a promise, that the destroying angel shall pass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them. Amen.
    The long answer is a little more complex:

When this commandment was written, the brotheren of the church met in a room above the Smith's kitchen. Many of them chewed tobacco, and when they spit, eventually, Joseph's wife Emma would end up with tobacco juice dripping down into her kitchen. She kvetched, understandably, and Joseph came back from praying with this revelation.

Now, at the time, it was considered a suggestion, for the "weakest of the saints":

1 A Word OF Wisdom, for the benefit of the council of high priests, assembled in Kirtland, and the church, and also the saints in Zion—
    2 To be sent greeting; not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation and the word of wisdom, showing forth the order and will of God in the temporal salvation of all saints in the last days—
    3 Given for a principle with promise, adapted to the capacity of the weak and the weakest of all saints, who are or can be called saints.
    There are multiple records of alcoholic drinks continuing to be served at special occasions, like Christmas punches, or use of alcohol in medicine, after that.

The Word of Wisdom only became a requirement to get a temple recommend in the 1930's(in fact, there were several breweries funded by Brigham Young in the early Utah period ), and the modern reading of it usually focuses on avoiding tobacco, alcohol, tea and coffee (both "hot drinks" see verse 9), and modern avoidance of other drugs. Some members reason that it's the caffeine in drinks like tea and coffee that makes them addictive, and therefore not ok, and so avoid caffeinated soda as well.
    There is very little focus on verse 12, which encourages members to eat meat sparingly.

There is an increasing focus, now, on also avoiding misuse of prescription drugs, particularly painkillers, since Northern Utah has a very high incidence for both abuse of those, and antidepressant use.

As for your second question, V...I think most religions with a very strong culture attached do things that some would consider weird. A lot of people would find the dietary guidelines above strange, for sure. Another typical thing people notice about Mormons is their dress code. No tattoos, skirts or shorts above the knee, or sleeveless clothing. The only piercings allowed are one in each ear for women.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

What's the Mormon view on modern medicine and it's use?
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Jun 2007
    Religion
    Norse Something-or-Other
    Phrase

[quote author=Shahaku link=topic=219.msg6647#msg6647 date=1288030887]
    What's the Mormon view on modern medicine and it's use?
    [/quote]
    Mormon leaders support medicine, and their aren't any weird prohibitions against organ donation, or receiving blood transfusions or anything like that. You do get some families, like mine growing up, though, that distrust the "medical industrial complex".

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

Well, I somewhat distrust the "medical idustrial complex" as well so.... can't say I blame them for that.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Jun 2007
    Religion
    Norse Something-or-Other
    Phrase

[quote author=Shahaku link=topic=219.msg6949#msg6949 date=1288104922]
    Well, I somewhat distrust the "medical idustrial complex" as well so.... can't say I blame them for that.
    [/quote]

I don't trust it entirely myself, and I firmly believe that people should educate themselves and use their brains rather then trusting a professional *simply* because they have a lab coat on.

It gets complex for me, though, because there were many ways I would have benefited from the influence of the medical model. As a homeschooled child, my parents didn't believe in sex ed, and so the only reason I understood all the basic mechanics when I got married was because the midwife I saw for birth control and an exam sat me down and gave me the birds and bees talk.

I also had several experiences where I was in physical trouble--like at the age of 14, running a fever of around 104 for a couple of days after helping to cater a family friend's wedding. Because my mom didn't trust doctors, I was left pretty much alone on a makeshift bed on my brother's bedroom floor. I actually have damage to enamel of my back molars, which were still forming when that happened.

I think that there's a line between self-empowerment, healthy mistrust, and putting yourself or loved ones on the line.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Radical Pagan
    Phrase
    Get s'more toilet paper.

Have you ever seen the movie Latter Days with Wes Ramsey? It occurred to me the other day that I've never heard anything out of the Mormon Church about this movie.
    Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
    -Erik Erikson

Jun 2007
    Religion
    Norse Something-or-Other
    Phrase

[quote author=Clive link=topic=219.msg13079#msg13079 date=1289758890]
    Have you ever seen the movie Latter Days with Wes Ramsey? It occurred to me the other day that I've never heard anything out of the Mormon Church about this movie.
    [/quote]

I've actually never seen it. Most Mormons who I know who had even heard of it mentally categorized it as Antimormon/pro-gay propaganda. From what I understand, the content would be taboo for even most open-minded members of the LDS community.

Mormons also are not allowed to see rated R movies, so there's that.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan

My understanding of how Mormonism(?) started is a little sketchy. From what I understand, Joesph Smith was given golden tablets by an angel which only he could read and would translate to people from behind a curtain. These tablets were then lost/disappeared. How much of this is correct and how much am I either oversimplifying things or am completely off base?

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Radical Pagan
    Phrase
    Get s'more toilet paper.

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=219.msg13090#msg13090 date=1289760819]
    I've actually never seen it. Most Mormons who I know who had even heard of it mentally categorized it as Antimormon/pro-gay propaganda. From what I understand, the content would be taboo for even most open-minded members of the LDS community.

Mormons also are not allowed to see rated R movies, so there's that.
    [/quote]

True, I doubt many hard Mormons would want to see a movie about a promiscuous man and an Elder falling in love...especially considering the two (IIRC) sex scenes included. It's a very good movie, though - sexy, romantic, and sad all at the same time. I recommend it.
    Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
    -Erik Erikson