Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

View an alphabetical list of all 335 temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Re: Ask a Mormon

[quote author=newgirl24 link=topic=219.msg19628#msg19628 date=1291410111]
      The trolls are hilarious.

I chatted with missionary once on that site, and asked legitimate questions about Mormonism. It was very interesting to me. The missionaries pretty much stopped trying when they asked enough questions to find out that I'm living with my boyfriend with no intention to marry him (any time soon, anyway).
      [/quote]

Yeah...I could see that. I'd argue that part of the issue with that is that they're 19-21 year olds, and so they have no concept of long term, but I hear complaints about the same sort of thing from a lot of people who move into Mormon areas. It always makes me wonder what they would have done with someone like early church leaders. Both Eliza R. Snow and John Taylor took years, if I remember right, before actually joining the church.

[quote author=perzephone link=topic=219.msg19684#msg19684 date=1291424063]
      I soooo wanted to get on here & ask you how magnets work, DR. [/quote]
      *Snort*
      [quote author=perzephone link=topic=219.msg19684#msg19684 date=1291424063]
      Is Mormonism primarily an American religion, or has it spread to other countries?
      [/quote]

Magus is exactly right (LOL).

A lot of Mormons will go out of their way to attend a temple in another location when they're traveling...so let's see...

I attended the dedication of the Bountiful, Utah temple. I was 8 at the time, and had to receive a special recommend from the bishop to go. It was very long, but interesting...before any temple is blessed, they have an open-house that anyone is welcome to attend, as long as they are dressed appropriately. If any of you ever get a chance to do so, I would strongly encourage you to. The actual dedication is reserved for members--those who have temple recommends and their older children.

I've also been to the temples in Provo and Vernal Utah, Laie Hawaii, and Orlando, Florida, as well as the one here in Rexburg. L and I were married in the second oldest temple, the one in Salt Lake City.

I'm very excited on behalf of my family for the temple being built in South Florida. Up until now, the trip up to Orlando has been 4 hours each way for them, and the new temple location is less then 30 minutes away.
      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Comment

Hey Desert!

I wanted to ask you what Mormonism teaches about the prophets that are mentioned in the Old Testament. I know they believe in them, but how much do they rely on the information mentioned in the Old Testament. I ask specifically because there are lots of bad things said about those prophets. Is it the same in Mormonism, or do they believe that the prophets of god are the best of the best?

I also know they have the book of Abraham and Moses as part of Mormon scripture, do they generally agree with the information contained in the Old Testament?

PS: After typing this post, I realized I used the word "you" when saying things like do you believe in such and such. So I had to type "they" instead of "you". :P
          [4:82]

Comment

Hmm...Mormonism is generally very positive about the main figures of the OT. Yes, there are some rather crazy things that happen, but I was always raised with a distinction being made between prophets (like Abraham and Moses) and the patriarchs (also Abraham, but Isaac and Jacob as well, etc). The distinction is usually that the prophets were specifically servants of God, however the patriarchs like Jacob were pretty average men who were included because of their linage. They make some rather serious mistakes, just like looking into the extended family of just about anyone.

Other prophets who are considered important within Mormonism are Melchizedek and Enoch. Neither are mentioned much in the OT, but are very important figures in Mormon Scripture.

Did that make sense? I'm not quite sure if I answered your question or not, honestly, so if you want me to clarify or anything of the sort, let me know :P

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=219.msg24277#msg24277 date=1293083062]
              Did that make sense? I'm not quite sure if I answered your question or not, honestly, so if you want me to clarify or anything of the sort, let me know :P
              [/quote]

I should have been more clear!

As I said before, I am specifically asking about the major sins that are ascribed to some of the prophets of God in the Old Testament. Like do Mormons generally agree with that, or do they believe that was actually not true?

Also since you mention prophets and patriarchs, what about Noah, Lot, David and Solomon? Which of the two are they?

Comment

[quote author=Dumuzi link=topic=219.msg24368#msg24368 date=1293128139]
                I should have been more clear!

As I said before, I am specifically asking about the major sins that are ascribed to some of the prophets of God in the Old Testament. Like do Mormons generally agree with that, or do they believe that was actually not true?

Also since you mention prophets and patriarchs, what about Noah, Lot, David and Solomon? Which of the two are they?
                [/quote]

Ah, ok, I see!

Mormons believe that a prophet is still mortal (fallible) and can still make mistakes. If he really oversteps, though, God can cause his death rather then let him lead the people astray. Joseph Smith claimed that when God commanded him to reinstate polygamy, that he didn't at first, out of respect for his wife, however, an angel with a flaming sword came to him and told him that the practice was a part of the restoration of all of God's truth, and that he was sent to destroy him if he didn't bring it back.

...which of course, raises all the same issues. Is the prophet right? Is he imperfect? What if he makes a mistake or misunderstands?

From my perspective, while LDS cultures says that prophets can make mistakes, the words of the current prophet, even if he is not acting "with the mantle of authority" as prophet, are treated as scripture. However, as time passes, people seem to be rather selective about what statements are retained in church-sanctioned curriculum.

Noah is counted as a prophet, however the others are patriarchs. Good men, but imperfect, who's mistakes are good learning tools.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, Deseret.

Comment

I might have asked about this before but I can't remember. While I was just watching a documentary on NG channel, about Mormons and a filmed wedding.....Would you ever consider a sister wife? Also, the documentary talked about if the two people marrying actually sign the marriage license they probably won't be adding sister wives because this could be used against them later if issues arise. Did you sign a marriage license? And...were you an arranged marriage? I know..personal questions. But stuff I don't know. So...well I gotta ask.
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=219.msg24590#msg24590 date=1293177305]
                      I might have asked about this before but I can't remember. While I was just watching a documentary on NG channel, about Mormons and a filmed wedding.....Would you ever consider a sister wife? Also, the documentary talked about if the two people marrying actually sign the marriage license they probably won't be adding sister wives because this could be used against them later if issues arise. Did you sign a marriage license? And...were you an arranged marriage? I know..personal questions. But stuff I don't know. So...well I gotta ask.
                      [/quote]

LOL, ok, a couple of things right off the bat. First, the mainstream LDS church hasn't practiced Polygamy since the Manifesto of 1890. That means that my Great-great grandfather on my mother's side had four wives, but they were all long dead before I was born.

Why the Manifesto? Mormon polygamy was a major plot point during two presidential elections during the 1860's. There were a lot of people insisting that it was white slavery, etc, etc, and that the US had an obligation to go in and end it. And so you got the Utah War. There have been several splinter groups that have broken off, in support of polygamy, and other doctrines supported by Brigham Young that have since been moved to the back burners of Mormon theology, if mentioned at all.

Since then, there has been a bit of a double standard--polygamy is an offense that gets one excommunicated from the mainstream church. Period, the end. However, at the same time, a woman can only ever be sealed to one man, but one man can still be sealed to multiple women (currently dead and ex wives, as well as their current spouse, for example). Also, those in longstanding Mormon families are often raised like I was, being taught that it was a correct principal, but "the church wasn't ready for it", and that it will be restored again when we are. I think that current church authority does not share that belief, though, since mentions of polygamy are being pushed further and further out of church texts, since they're one of the things that keeps the church from being recognized as mainstream christian. Personally, I'm suspicious that the current leaders of the church don't want the can of worms (and loss of half the church either way) that would happen if polygamy became legalized, and that's part of the reason why they are currently coming down so hard on gay marriage (the foot in the door), after an era of comparative understanding and encouragement of love and kindness under the late President Hinkley.

Oh, and you sometimes get Fundamentalist Mormons hiding in mainstream congregations. Often acting as a single mom, widow, or one with a spouse that travels a lot, in order to get assistance from the Bishop. Good times.

So, with all of the above in mind , mainstream Mormon marriages go by the book. We have a marriage license, and then were sealed in the temple, "for time and all eternity". It's a good thing that there aren't arranged marriages in the mainstream church, either, because my parents can't stand my husband....and the feeling is mutual. Instead, there's a lot of pressure for women to put marriage and family over education, and men to get married as soon as possible after returning from their mission at the age of 21. Because of that, we were 23 and 18 when we got married, and I had my first miscarriage at 19, and my daughter at 21. I wouldn't trade her for the world, but in retrospect, things would have been much, much easier for us if we hadn't believed at the time that we needed to do whatever our leaders were telling us, and "god would reward us for being faithful".

As for a sister wife? That's an entire other can of beans. I feel rather strongly that as a bisexual woman, I would be very happy down the road with a poly relationship. I'm not sure how all that would work out, honestly, but even though L and I are discussing right now how, exactly, we want our life to change now that we are no longer following the church, and I'm open to experimentation, at a core level I still believe in a fairly traditional level of commitment. Not necessarily extreme exclusivity, but only being involved with people that I have taken the time to form a deep and long-term bond with. I'm willing to not rush into things to make sure that all the pieces fit, too. I already have one good relationship, and I'd want to take my time, and insure that whoever either of us were involved with was a good fit, long before it became physical.

That sort of concept is nothing like the way Fundamentalists practice polygamy, though. That is very much a group of women with one man "in the lead" (even though that is rarely the case within the home), and holding it all together.

If we were ever to follow through with that, too, we would both need to be prepared to take one of two tactics--either be excommunicated, or formally resign from the church before there was anything they could use to investigate into our lives and excommunicate us anyway.

Comment

I just got an idea while I was reading this. You should tell Mormons to move to Egypt, they'd be allowed to marry up to 4 women perfectly legally!

;D

Comment

[quote author=Dumuzi link=topic=219.msg24693#msg24693 date=1293216649]
                          I just got an idea while I was reading this. You should tell Mormons to move to Egypt, they'd be allowed to marry up to 4 women perfectly legally!

;D
                          [/quote]

LOL...well, right now, you can be excommunicated for practicing polygamy even if it's legal in your country!

There are a lot of members, too, who find the entire concept disgusting, and treat it as an odd quirk from the past. Boy, do they get a surprise if they read some of the statements by Brigham Young that claimed that one had to practice "the principal" in order to become like God!

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=219.msg24720#msg24720 date=1293225991]
                            LOL...well, right now, you can be excommunicated for practicing polygamy even if it's legal in your country!
                            [/quote]

Ah I see, that does make perfect sense. I first assumed it was only a matter of respecting the law of the country you are a citizen of.

It's as if I said it's OK for Muslims to drink alcohol because it's legal. Legal or not, Allah is the god of all countries whatever their law on alcohol is!

There are a lot of members, too, who find the entire concept disgusting, and treat it as an odd quirk from the past. Boy, do they get a surprise if they read some of the statements by Brigham Young that claimed that one had to practice "the principal" in order to become like God!
                            Ha, I can see his motives.

"Honey, I love you and I don't want to marry anyone else, but it's what god wants us to do!" ;D

Seriously, though, (and I'm sorry if it seemed I was derailing your thread earlier) I do have a question.

How do Mormons know that Joseph Smith is a real prophet? By the way, this is NOT a debate. I just want to know how someone who is Mormon would reply if I asked them this. Just trying to understand.

What would a Mormon say, if I asked how he knows that Joseph Smith is really who he claimed he was, and that he did actually receive revelation from God?

Comment

Great question. When I was a Mormon, it was never questioned. Joseph Smith was a prophet. Period. No discussion, or debate. Accept it.
                              Of course, now, I don't question it; because, I don't believe it.
                              Sorry, I know this is not my thread. It is Deseret's. Just wanted to put in my two cents worth.
                              Sleep, my friend, and you will see
                              That dream is my reality

Comment

[quote author=Dumuzi link=topic=219.msg24727#msg24727 date=1293227622]

How do Mormons know that Joseph Smith is a real prophet? By the way, this is NOT a debate. I just want to know how someone who is Mormon would reply if I asked them this. Just trying to understand.

What would a Mormon say, if I asked how he knows that Joseph Smith is really who he claimed he was, and that he did actually receive revelation from God?
                                [/quote]Sorry Des if I jump in here too ...

I think believing that someone is something special in ones chosen path is what "FAITH" is all about ... Something that is accepted as just is ... Just as some believe Jesus to be the son of God or that Moses was a prophet ... Or in Buddha's, Isis' or Hathor's divinity ... It is a matter of faith ... Generally "supported " by something in writing ...
                                I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Working...
                                X