This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ask a Mormon

Absolutely gotta see it. Hopefully, a film version will be done. I've no plans to go to NYC.
    Sleep, my friend, and you will see
    That dream is my reality

Comment

I agree with the New York bit .. Too expensive and crowded there ... Waiting for the DVD ...
      I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Since this is the ask a Mormon thread, may I ask you to say thank you to those wonderful Mormons?

I think that was really awesome of them.
        [4:82]

Comment

I just saw this in the other thread! Love it, and thanks so much for posting it, D. I've been dealing with a lot of examples of Mormons not entirely living up to their religion lately, and so it really warmed my heart to read that
          Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
            Since this is the ask a Mormon thread, may I ask you to say thank you to those wonderful Mormons?

I think that was really awesome of them.
            Everyone's heart is warmed.

Just don't read the comments.
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Yep...expected that, too. So I didn't read the comments. I wanted to savor the cultural warm fuzzies.

Comment

Omg. Mormon soaking? Explain!

Comment

Huh??

I had to google that to figure out what you were talking about, Medusa. LOL...wow. First I've ever heard of this. I call BS.

I can see the concept having started as a joke or a troll among Mormon kids, however someone who actually gets that far (particularly with a Mormon girl, who has had messages about keeping the men she dates "on the right track" pounded into her head from childhood) is going to have much more enjoyable options at their disposal. Not to mention if someone has enough self control to fight against an action their body is hard-wired to fulfil, they probably have enough control to not stick it in, in the first place.

You're much more likely to get college kids fessing up to dry humping, possibly oral sex. Unless you have an old bishop, who remembers leadership coming down hard on oral sex in the 80's, they tend to be kinder about those, particularly if the couple is engaged.

Comment

Oh man. I was so hoping this was real!

Comment

uh... whaaa...?
                      "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

Des, (if you don't want to answer this its cool)...but I was randomly reading one of the exmormon.org "why I left" testimonies, and read this little gem:

"Evolution: Probably 75% of the biology classes I took at BYU spent at least one hour (some took a whole week) on the topic of evolution. These discussions primarily focused on justifying why evolution should be taught at a Church institution (we've got the temple film, we don't need Darwin), and helping creationist Mormons get over their misunderstandings about the Church's position. Typically, a packet of declarations by Church leaders is passed out to the class, so everyone can see that Mormons can believe in evolution. But those pronouncements that clearly denounce evolution are conveniently left out. I think that teaching evolution is certainly the right thing to do, but editing history is not. We can excuse conflicting remarks by our prophets as just their opinion, but then how do we know that what the prophet says today about R-rated movies isn't just his opinion? I guess someday we'll know. I mean, if a prophesy never happens, or a proclamation never pans out (like Joseph Smith's declarations that the American Indians are Lamanites), then it must be just their opinion. Funny how prophetic word is only definable in retrospect."
                        Do you know anyone that has taken a bio class there? I mean...this guy is a MOLECULAR BIOLOGIST and his bio classes spent no more than A WEEK on evolution? WTH?!?!?! I can't say that I have EVER had a bio class that didn't talk about evolution at least periodically all semester long, and I have had three different classes that were entirely about the subject. Oh...and what movie is this that he's talking about, do you know? Do you know what this info might be that he is talking about?

Also...he makes a comment...

Anyway, my wife and I are still together--she is a Mormon and I am pretty much an atheist. It is not exactly the perfect situation for marriage and family, but now we talk about our beliefs instead of sitting silently in discomfort. I am lucky to have married a woman who learned tolerance and understanding as a child, instead of superiority and dogmatic ideals. She understands some of the problems I have with Mormonism, but she expects less of the Church and therefore does not feel the same disappointment.
                        Is this common? Because of the social aspect of LDS?
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dufonce View Post

uh... whaaa...?
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam%E2%80%93God_doctrine

For LDS apologetics on the subject, go here: http://fairmormon.org/Adam-Godhttp://fairmormon.org/Mormonism_and_...hable_by_death

Brigham Young also actively taught that God the Father literally slept with Mary to produce Jesus, and that Jesus had multiple wives.

Also...no one likes to talk about Joseph Smith's treasure seeking days...*ahem*

If you want a simpler version of this, I would suggest the Book of Mormon Musical:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                            Des, (if you don't want to answer this its cool)...but I was randomly reading one of the exmormon.org "why I left" testimonies, and read this little gem:

Do you know anyone that has taken a bio class there? I mean...this guy is a MOLECULAR BIOLOGIST and his bio classes spent no more than A WEEK on evolution? WTH?!?!?! I can't say that I have EVER had a bio class that didn't talk about evolution at least periodically all semester long, and I have had three different classes that were entirely about the subject. Oh...and what movie is this that he's talking about, do you know? Do you know what this info might be that he is talking about?
                            Based on my own classes at BYU, that would be accurate. There's a reason why you don't see a lot of Mormon biologists running around. Similar issues are why Mormon artists generally aren't popular outside of LDS circles: church schools require that all drawing from life be done with the model wearing at least one-piece bathing suit.

As for movie...do you mean the temple film, or what he said about R rated movies?

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                            Also...he makes a comment...

Is this common? Because of the social aspect of LDS?
                            Actually, given some of the couples I've met, or dealt with on similar sites, he has been very lucky. Many LDS families break apart if one spouse realizes they don't believe, but the other is very firmly a member. It says a lot about both of them that they've been able to hold their marriage together.

Comment

Ah, the temple film--for some reason I was thinking it was something they showed in class. I forgot what the point of it was, but I remember its existence now, lol!
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

Ah...yep. The temple used to have live actors acting out the drama you witnessed. In the Salt Lake City temple that's still the case, but in a shortened form. Everywhere else uses a film made back in the early 90's now.

Comment

Working...
                                X