Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indoor/Outdoor herb garden

Oct 2009
    Religion
    ~Eclectic Pagan~
    Phrase
    "Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way you are right." -Henry Ford

Indoor/Outdoor herb garden

I am debating on starting an herb garden. The plan was to start with a little indoor herb garden (that is pet friendly) and possibly progress as I learn more to an outdoor garden. I was wondering what are you guys growing? Indoor? Outdoor? What herbs are easy to start with? What herbs have been challenging? Any tips, tricks, fertilizer, rituals you do/use before starting? Please post pictures if you have any!
    http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=87&dateline=133754480  9

Jun 2006
    Religion
    Hedge Pantheism
    Phrase
    Whatever satisfies the soul is the truth

Re: Indoor/Outdoor herb garden

I've always had better luck with hardy outdoor stuff than the fussy nature of indoor herbs. Most like entirely too much sun to really work indoors at my house. All the sunny spots are a bit TOO cat friendly to be safe.

If you've never gardened before there are some very easy ones to try, for both in and out. Just make sure if you are using containers that they are large enough and if indoors you have enough sun or have grow lights.

I suggest:

Chives
    Mints of different varieties
    Lemon Balm (really too big for indoors however)
    Sage
    Basil
    Oregano (this is super easy)
    Thyme
    Sweet Woodruff

I've also had some good luck with rue and catnip, but those are a bit more touchy (even though catnip is technically a mint, it isn't quite as hard at first. Eventually tho it'll be 4 ft tall and tough as nails.)

I suggest a good soil mix. If outside make sure to ammend the soil with some manure. Other than that? I will maybe use plant food every other year and just top dress the soil with manure/peat moss/compost or whatever I have that year handy.

I'm sort of a lazy gardener, but I've has some good luck. (I mix my herbs into my flower gardens, so my photos are NOT herbs only.)

Chives Close up:

Sweet Woodruff patch:

Thyme, Oregano and Chives (plus a honeysuckle, hosta and daisies):

Oct 2009
    Religion
    ~Eclectic Pagan~
    Phrase
    "Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way you are right." -Henry Ford

Wow so beautiful. I have so much space in my back yard I feel almost guilty NOT using it

Oct 2004
    Religion
    olde pharte

Chives are good as you can use the stalks like green onions and the blossoms are great to munch on too ... Add a bit of color to a salad ... Mints HAVE to be in containers ... NEVER plant them in the ground unless you want a field full in a short time ... Sage works ... And you can use it fresh or wait till the leaves fall and gather them for use later ... I have gotten to the point that I will not plant anything that I can't eat ...
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Jun 2006
    Religion
    Hedge Pantheism
    Phrase
    Whatever satisfies the soul is the truth

I actually do grow mint in the ground. I've found it much easier to control than people claim. Oregano on the other hand is TOTALLY invasive. I love it anyway, because it also attracts bees and butterflies, but wow. That stuff is everywhere.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

I've had very good luck with lavender for the first time ever... Put it in a pot with soil that drains well, in full sun and leave it alone unless it goes more than a 10 or so days without rain, then give it a soak and leave it alone.

Mint on the other hand (and anything related to it) I have to water daily...but I have a container garden since I rent.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2009
    Religion
    ~Eclectic Pagan~
    Phrase

hmm... good to know all of this stuff. What would I do without you guys?! I guess make a whole bunch of mistakes until I figure it out :P

Feb 2011
    Religion
    Domestic Witch

I'm growing a few herbs indoors at the moment (I dont have a garden so have to stick to indoor). I've got Sage, Thyme, Basil, Oregano and Rosemary seedlings coming up at the moment. I chose those herbs because they are the ones I use most within cooking.

I will most likely steal a few lavender cuttings from my mum when I see her next though, I kind of killed my last lavender plant... Oops!

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

I live in a wet climate, so mint goes just plain crazy when it gets loose (my backyard is one huge field of mint). Oregano has spread into the grass, but hasn't gone very far.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Oct 2004
    Religion
    olde pharte

Same here ... We measure the annual rainfall in feet ... Sometimes have measured the monthly rain in feet ...
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."