Indoor/Outdoor herb garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indoor/Outdoor herb garden

I am debating on starting an herb garden. The plan was to start with a little indoor herb garden (that is pet friendly) and possibly progress as I learn more to an outdoor garden. I was wondering what are you guys growing? Indoor? Outdoor? What herbs are easy to start with? What herbs have been challenging? Any tips, tricks, fertilizer, rituals you do/use before starting? Please post pictures if you have any!
    sigpic

Re: Indoor/Outdoor herb garden

I've always had better luck with hardy outdoor stuff than the fussy nature of indoor herbs. Most like entirely too much sun to really work indoors at my house. All the sunny spots are a bit TOO cat friendly to be safe.

If you've never gardened before there are some very easy ones to try, for both in and out. Just make sure if you are using containers that they are large enough and if indoors you have enough sun or have grow lights.

I suggest:

Chives
    Mints of different varieties
    Lemon Balm (really too big for indoors however)
    Sage
    Basil
    Oregano (this is super easy)
    Thyme
    Sweet Woodruff

I've also had some good luck with rue and catnip, but those are a bit more touchy (even though catnip is technically a mint, it isn't quite as hard at first. Eventually tho it'll be 4 ft tall and tough as nails.)

I suggest a good soil mix. If outside make sure to ammend the soil with some manure. Other than that? I will maybe use plant food every other year and just top dress the soil with manure/peat moss/compost or whatever I have that year handy.

I'm sort of a lazy gardener, but I've has some good luck. (I mix my herbs into my flower gardens, so my photos are NOT herbs only.)

Chives Close up:

Sweet Woodruff patch:

Thyme, Oregano and Chives (plus a honeysuckle, hosta and daisies):

Comment

Wow so beautiful. I have so much space in my back yard I feel almost guilty NOT using it
      sigpic

Comment

Chives are good as you can use the stalks like green onions and the blossoms are great to munch on too ... Add a bit of color to a salad ... Mints HAVE to be in containers ... NEVER plant them in the ground unless you want a field full in a short time ... Sage works ... And you can use it fresh or wait till the leaves fall and gather them for use later ... I have gotten to the point that I will not plant anything that I can't eat ...
        I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

I actually do grow mint in the ground. I've found it much easier to control than people claim. Oregano on the other hand is TOTALLY invasive. I love it anyway, because it also attracts bees and butterflies, but wow. That stuff is everywhere.

Comment

I've had very good luck with lavender for the first time ever... Put it in a pot with soil that drains well, in full sun and leave it alone unless it goes more than a 10 or so days without rain, then give it a soak and leave it alone.

Mint on the other hand (and anything related to it) I have to water daily...but I have a container garden since I rent.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

hmm... good to know all of this stuff. What would I do without you guys?! I guess make a whole bunch of mistakes until I figure it out :P
              sigpic

Comment

I'm growing a few herbs indoors at the moment (I dont have a garden so have to stick to indoor). I've got Sage, Thyme, Basil, Oregano and Rosemary seedlings coming up at the moment. I chose those herbs because they are the ones I use most within cooking.

I will most likely steal a few lavender cuttings from my mum when I see her next though, I kind of killed my last lavender plant... Oops!

Comment

I live in a wet climate, so mint goes just plain crazy when it gets loose (my backyard is one huge field of mint). Oregano has spread into the grass, but hasn't gone very far.
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Same here ... We measure the annual rainfall in feet ... Sometimes have measured the monthly rain in feet ...
                    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

I found this http://www.ehow.com/list_7549623_gar...-michigan.html for us Michiganders. I think I am going to try Rosemary and Oregano this year. I also was debating on growing some sunflowers next to my driveway
                      sigpic

Comment

Oh I'm so glad to have found this thread!
                        I have a rosemary plant in a pot because I don't have an outdoor garden and it's also too cold where I live. Anyway, it's looking rather well...sad... and pathetic lol I don't water it often, the book I have says rosemary doesn't need alot of watering. I water it maybe 3 times a week and it has a good draining system on the bottom of the pot. But is it normal for the leaves to go a kind of greyish color? They don't fall off or seem dead, they're not dry or anything, just go from green to grey. (FYI if you hadn't noticed, I'm a total retard when it comes to gardening!) Is that just the way it matures? Or am I torturing the poor plant somehow?

Comment

Working...
                        X