WHY did you join PF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHY did you join PF?

I enjoyed reading the "when" thread from Chain -- but what about why you joined? What was it that made you make a profile and add your 2 cents?

I remember reading a lot of threads and being so thrilled by the lack of pretention and fluffiness.

Re: WHY did you join PF?

I joined for the pretention and fluffiness:lol:

I guess I joined to get information and to try to connect to others who had some of the same questions, beleifs, concerns, etc. that I did.

Once I figured out what I was, I had a need to be with others of like-mind.
    What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

To find a safe place and make friends with others of like mind. To learn more about different traditions. To get away from troll boards. And lots of other reasons, I guess, but those are the most important.
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

same reason I join any forum pinky... to try to take over the world!!!

or because I wanted to see other perspectives and learn about others beliefs so I could expand on my own and help me to find my own path.

its been working. =o)
        "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

I think because I was asked and I had never met Pagans before. I was curious.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I joined because I was very frustrated with my birth religion, and had, by some strange chance, had several pagan/new age books wander into my hands as a teen. So, curious, I stuck around, asked a lot of silly questions, and had Rok ask if I'd start the first Ask a Mormon Thread.
            Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

I joined for the same basic reason Rowan did. Other forums that I joined before were just so overdramatic and fluffy. This forum pays more attention to science and reason, and their place in relation to religion and faith.

Comment

Less fluff ... More stuff ... I was already learning and figured this new interweb thingy might be of some help ...
                I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

I joined back when I had just left Christianity and didn't know which path to take. I knew a lot of pagans and I knew a lot of their beliefs resonated with me, so I googled "pagan forums" and found this place.
                  my etsy store
                  My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                  surrounded by plush, downy things,
                  ill prepared, but willing,
                  to descend."

Comment

I was bored at work & couldn't get away w/surfing the WoW forums because they look like a gamer forum. I started lurking, reading some of the threads, discovered that this wasn't exactly a 'Paganism 101' kind of place & stuck around.
                    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I joined because it had been a couple years since I'd been involved with the local pagan groups, my friends had scattered to the winds, and I felt a desire to explore my faith again, maybe becoming more than "generic ex-wiccan eclectic." Shortly after joining, I was able to use the resources here to find the name of my Deity, so I call it a wise decision!
                      Be Excellent to each other - or something will Happen to you.

Comment

Ha. It's a long story Harold.

I was stumbling over an idea, with an old friend of mine, from back in the AOL chatroom 'Ask A Witch' days, about a forum or message board... some sort of gathering for the Neo-Pagan community as well as friends, family and the curious. We bounced a few ideas off each other and settled with the name PaganForum. A very quick search told us it already existed. There already WAS a paganforum.com. I did a quick browse through, just to get a kind of shallow feel for the kind of place it was, and he and I went back to more names. We did finally settle on a name but that site, the forum, even the domain is up for grabs. I can't even remember, now, what the name of the site was but it was a 'free host' deal, like they do on proboards and such.

I gave that site a good year of help and activity, ideas and conversations, and still... it went the way of magic smoke. About the time that it looked like all hope for the site was buried with the dinosaurs, I came back to PF. This time, I registered for an account. I spent the first probably 3-6 months hardly saying boo, to anyone or anywhere. In fact, it wasn't until I was invited to join the staff, on PF, that my post count started to climb.

I came here to meet people. And I came here to make friends. I never would have expected that those two things wouldn't even scratch the surface of what I would finally find here. Family. Love and compassion. Fun and humour. My friends on PF have seen me through the worst that life can dish out. From suffering, right along with my family, through not just my daughter's cancer but my wife's, as well, to the death of my daughter and the rallying that this place did... the resources that people dug into, to help fund the magnificent headstone that was no less than perfection!

I looked for someone to read about, to talk to, maybe. I found people to share my life with, while I share in theirs!

And then, my closest friends (Really: all the staff members in the states) and I pooled our resources and bought the place over from Rok. And while there's a couple people that went well beyond just their share, in the purchase, to finalize it, to really make it happen, *couch*Juni*cough* it's still community. This is home. And it's ALL of ours. Through the good times and the bad. Home is where the heart is? My heart is with my PF family. Thanks, you guys!! All of you!!

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

I joined after leaving Christianity, when I was just starting to discover my beliefs. I wanted to be able to talk to people who had been there, who has gone through it all before, and this place felt right. I am still discovering myself and my beliefs (in a few short months I've gone from soft polytheist to hard polytheist!). So far everyone has answered my questions respectfully, an no one looks down on me for being young and stupid :P

Chain, that's a really awesome story
                          Last edited by PharaohKatt; 11 Feb 2011, 21:29.

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
                            Ha. It's a long story Harold.
                            ... from back in the AOL chatroom 'Ask A Witch' days
                            :::runs screaming into the void ::: Aaaaaghhhh!!!!

It always bothered me. Why did they call it 'Ask a Witch' when they never wanted anyone to answer any questions about witchcraft?
                            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Well the forum I *was* on (which no longer exists), by the advice/invite of an acquaintance from drumcircle was fluffier than cotton candy...and just as saccharine. I think I had about 30-40 posts when I entered the Great Christian Wicca debate (which, of course, I find to be a total misnomer, though I could care less what the heck they actually believe)--but alas, a good chunk of their members were of the persuasion, and it hurt their feelings and the Great Homeopathy Debate (apparently I have "no soul" for not believing in the dilution principles and the memory of water, and clinical study documentation was *not* welcome there)...so I went looking around and happenstanced upon PF.

I think (after the obligatory intro) the first thing I did was get in a disagreement with Rok over the evolution/modernization of deities (he said no, I said yes...but I think he just didn't like my analogies )...I was amused by it then, but now it downright makes me giggle. I hung around because the convo was good, it was diverse, and there was always something to learn. I stayed because I consider a lot of our members family, mostly in a good way. And now, I'm just sort of stuck here since I own part of this baby
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X