FantasyWitch on the Fence- Ask an Atheistic Pagan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FantasyWitch on the Fence- Ask an Atheistic Pagan

I have been thinking about this for a wee while, and whither I should stick a thread in to try and explain to myself and others what is going on in my head religion wise- if anything at all.

I guess now I am :P

For a wee while I have considered myself an atheistic pagan. In other words someone who has a deep love and reverence for nature, but does not believe in a god/goddess or any of the magic stuff. The natural cycle of what the world does is worth much more praise than any God or Goddess I have yet discovered.

I think I stopped trying to believe in a God/Goddess this summer when quite a few people I loved died around me. I felt like I HAD to find something to believe in but nothing felt really right, so when the shock of losing people happened I realized didn't want to believe and that I didn't have try anymore.

I am still very much exploring what it means to be what I am at this point, so I am hoping that any questions you guys may want to ask I can answer and hopefully your questions will help me learn more about what is going through my head!

Ask away! X
    "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Re: FantasyWitch on the Fence- Ask an Atheistic Pagan

I've read up a bit on Atheistic Paganism and it sounds similar to Naturalist Pantheism. Apart from the focus on paganism, is there a difference between the two?
    my etsy store
    My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
    surrounded by plush, downy things,
    ill prepared, but willing,
    to descend."

Comment

Strange...based on what you're saying, it sounds to me like you could drop the "Pagan" part entirely

There's nothing inherently spiritual about having a full appreciation of the world around us...finding nature interesting seems to be a favourite pastime of a lot of Atheists

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
        I've read up a bit on Atheistic Paganism and it sounds similar to Naturalist Pantheism. Apart from the focus on paganism, is there a difference between the two?
        It is very similar. Personally the only difference between what I would say I feel and Naturalist Pantheism is some old habits that I think many people who have dabbled in paganism pick up. I (for example) still use my Goddess cards and use my crystals as comfort. Those sort of things I think set us apart. Naturalist Pantheism is all about having reverance for the REAL universe, whereas I still like to look at things that have not been explained and find them fascinating/comforting.
        But that is really such a tiny difference it really doesn't add any new dimention to it.

Strange...based on what you're saying, it sounds to me like you could drop the "Pagan" part entirely

There's nothing inherently spiritual about having a full appreciation of the world around us...finding nature interesting seems to be a favourite pastime of a lot of Atheists
        I don't think I'm quite ready to drop the pagan side yet. I still (as I said above) hold a few pagan habits and things that hold me to it quite contently. I can't bring myself to believe in a God/Goddess, its just not happening. But I would like to know IF I could be wrong.
        In essence I CAN'T believe/try to believe anymore, but I'd still like to KNOW.

Hope that made sense. I've never actually thought about how to explain the conection I still feel to paganism before. It just seems natural. X
        "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Roknrol View Post
          There's nothing inherently spiritual about having a full appreciation of the world around us...
          While I agree....I MUST say that there certainly can be something spiritual (and magical, for that matter), about it while staying firmly in an atheistic frame set. To acknowledge the gaps in scientific knowledge with wonder and reverence doesn't necessarily mean inserting deity.
          Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

Hmmmm

I've always found it puzzling for someone to appreciate or revere nature, while being atheist at the same time. To me that's like praising a painting while refusing to praise the painter.
            [4:82]

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
              Hmmmm

I've always found it puzzling for someone to appreciate or revere nature, while being atheist at the same time. To me that's like praising a painting while refusing to praise the painter.
              From the perspective of an artist: I wouldn't want to be praised for a masterpiece, the masterpiece is what should be praised.

X

Comment

Originally posted by FantasyWitch View Post
                It is very similar. Personally the only difference between what I would say I feel and Naturalist Pantheism is some old habits that I think many people who have dabbled in paganism pick up. I (for example) still use my Goddess cards and use my crystals as comfort. Those sort of things I think set us apart. Naturalist Pantheism is all about having reverance for the REAL universe, whereas I still like to look at things that have not been explained and find them fascinating/comforting.
                But that is really such a tiny difference it really doesn't add any new dimention to it.

I don't think I'm quite ready to drop the pagan side yet. I still (as I said above) hold a few pagan habits and things that hold me to it quite contently. I can't bring myself to believe in a God/Goddess, its just not happening. But I would like to know IF I could be wrong.

Hope that made sense. I've never actually thought about how to explain the conection I still feel to paganism before. It just seems natural. X
                Have you done any reading on Panentheism?

It is the belief that God's physical body is the universe and everything in it, and that God also transcends this universe. Existence is a part of God, but God is larger than existence. It is similar but different to pantheism, which says that the universe IS God in totality. It is also a belief in a genderless God, and God as the creator.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_pa...#ixzz1E97KFREr
                ------------------------

Of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.
                - robert anton wilson -

Comment

Originally posted by Lunacie View Post
                  Have you done any reading on Panentheism?

It is the belief that God's physical body is the universe and everything in it, and that God also transcends this universe. Existence is a part of God, but God is larger than existence. It is similar but different to pantheism, which says that the universe IS God in totality. It is also a belief in a genderless God, and God as the creator.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_pa...#ixzz1E97KFREr
                  I will read up on it just now. No I had never heard of it before, however from the way you describe it I don't think it will be anything other than a casual interest to me. It still holds a bit too much "God" for me. X

Comment

Please remember that the following are only my opinions and subject to total obscurity at any moment ...

It is very similar. Personally the only difference between what I would say I feel and Naturalist Pantheism is some old habits that I think many people who have dabbled in paganism pick up. I (for example) still use my Goddess cards and use my crystals as comfort. Those sort of things I think set us apart.
                    No worries about divination or using stuff ... The crystals themselves have power ... Everything does in its own way ... As with your tarot cards ... it is the cards themselves as well as the power within you yourself and your connection with the cards that really matters ... Not whether some idea of deity has intervened on your behalf ...

Naturalist Pantheism is all about having reverance for the REAL universe, whereas I still like to look at things that have not been explained and find them fascinating/comforting.
                    But that is really such a tiny difference it really doesn't add any new dimension to it.
                    Everything is nature ... All things ... Whether we can understand them at this particular time or not ... Natures existence does not depend on human understanding ... If something is, then it is ... Simple as that ... The stars were here before humans were and will be long after we and our awe are gone ...

I will always have my habits ... No matter what my beliefs are ... I will always put a piece of hematite in my pocket when I go into new situations ... I will always put little fertilizer pegs by plants that grow wild when I go berry picking ... Not because some God/dess wants me to but because I have at least a reverence for nature itsself ...
                    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

From the perspective of an artist: I wouldn't want to be praised for a masterpiece, the masterpiece is what should be praised.

X
                      At least you admitted the painting does have a painter

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
                        At least you admitted the painting does have a painter
                        Yeah, but I don't know the painter. The PAINTING is what is important.
                        This analogy is going to give me a headache Batman x

Comment

I will read up on it just now. No I had never heard of it before, however from the way you describe it I don't think it will be anything other than a casual interest to me. It still holds a bit too much "God" for me. X
                          I consider myself a panentheist (search the forum for the thread I started on the subject) and I absolutely do not hold to any belief in deity -- at all. I believe in a 'Oneness' of All that is and all that is not.....and that includes whatever lies beyond our universe.....but I don't see this as any type of personal deity....it just.....is (and is not at the same time...lol)

For me, that description on answers.com is at best, incomplete and at worst, false.
                          Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cesara View Post
                            I consider myself a panentheist (search the forum for the thread I started on the subject) and I absolutely do not hold to any belief in deity -- at all. I believe in a 'Oneness' of All that is and all that is not.....and that includes whatever lies beyond our universe.....but I don't see this as any type of personal deity....it just.....is (and is not at the same time...lol)

For me, that description on answers.com is at best, incomplete and at worst, false.
                            Sounds like more research is in order. This being another one of those paths (like the one I follow) where it is hard to explain in words, its just to do with your view and no one elses? X

Comment

Yeah, but I don't know the painter. The PAINTING is what is important.
                              This analogy is going to give me a headache Batman x
                              Hehe, oops.

I was just trying to say, that in my opinion, that you can't admire creation without admiring the creator.

For example, if you were cold and hungry, and then I gave you something to wear and a piece of bread. Would you be thankful to the bread, or give thanks to me, the one who gave you the bread?

Just my point of view

Comment

Working...
                              X