Shamanic Pagan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shamanic Pagan

I've heard stories of people having out of body experiences from K2 and K3... its sold as incense... but of course people smoke it instead... I warn people to do just a little bit at a time, but one person I know did a little much at once and out he went. scared the crap outta him too. lol I kinda forgot to tell him WHY to take it easy.
    "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

Okay! Im currently writing this on my nifty phone, so please ignore any misspellings or typings! And if it starts to get confusing, please ask and Ill clarify....I hate using the internet on my little phone lol.
      So here it is!
      Those are actual places to the Shamans of old, to most 'new age' Shamans (not all) it is your own conscious as well. Spirits, though they do bother us on our plane, are known to actually reside in these Spirit Realms; AKA the underworld and overworld. To speak/control/banish/etc, the Shaman will travel to the necessary realm in spirit and do whatever needs done. For the new agers, your subconscious and conscious mind are the representations of this and to do all those things from earlier, one would have to go to the appropriate mindset. Im not too keen on the new agey stuff, so I could be wrong or just touching the surface of that aspect.
      I hope that answers your question!
      The Past is our Cradle, not our Prison; there is Danger as well as Appeal in its Glamour. The Past is for Inspiration, not Immitation; Continuation, not Repetition.

Its a long way back to Eden, dear. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Comment

[quote author=Dufonce link=topic=233.msg3011#msg3011 date=1287144675]
        I kinda forgot to tell him WHY to take it easy.
        [/quote]Why?
        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
        Sneak Attack
        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

he's a very physical person. Didn't warn him that it can cause an out of body experience if you take too much too fast. he didn't like it. =o)
          "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

[quote author=weareoceansaway link=topic=233.msg2981#msg2981 date=1287134301]
            Thanks, Caliburn. Others have called me too much of a stiff and straight edge...[/quote]
            Sounds "right". ;D I've even been accused for having "sense of humor surgically removed", so I understand what you saying quite well, actually.

[quote author=weareoceansaway link=topic=233.msg2981#msg2981 date=1287134301]There are many different 'types' of Shamanism, Oshii. Most are 'male' run, but not all. The Norse used to believe that being a Shaman, and therefore a healer, was too 'womanly' and thus was given to the women of their tribes. In Native American culture, both male and female were their own version of a 'Shaman'. Many African tribes also have female or male Shamans. Though many, many people will tell you there are very distinct versions of Shaman that have their own name, really, in my honest opinion, there isn't. One Shaman will tell you how they do buisness and another of the same Path will argue a different point, or different plant, or different meditative way to do something.[/quote]
            Hereditary female shamans:
            [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lByxFUvkBpo[/youtube]

[quote author=weareoceansaway link=topic=233.msg2981#msg2981 date=1287134301]But Buddhists are considered Shamans[/quote]
            Realy? I was under impression that there is clear distinction between these two groups. At least they make a distinction.
            You might find some of these useful:
            Russia close-up: Shamans and lamas buddy buddy in Tyva (video included)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-cGfehQ91Q&feature=channel[/youtube]

Interview with Aldynay Sden-Khuurak (video included)

Real-life shamans talk to the dead (video included)

[quote author=weareoceansaway link=topic=233.msg2981#msg2981 date=1287134301] Native American tribes have their own medican man/woman which (though as said before they deny it) are considered Shamans by others....its kind of like calling all those who practice magick Pagan. Shaman is simply an umbrella term for anyone who heals, calls spirits, interprets visions, ect. Anyone working in the spiritual realm.
            It is not always 'divinely chosen'. Sometimes a near death experience, terrible illness, anything that may have made that person touch the spirit world intimately and return can cause their tribe/people to view them as a Shaman and insist they learn from their present Shaman. Feeling as if it's a personal calling is another way. Simply being chosen because you were born with different features (white hair in a black haired tribe, blue eyes when everyone else's are green or brown, born with a sixth finger/toe, ect.) will get you an apprenticeship with the present Shaman.
            I hope that answers your questions!
            [/quote]
            Well summed up.

Comment

[quote author=Caliburn link=topic=233.msg3335#msg3335 date=1287213894]
              Sounds "right". ;D I've even been accused for having "sense of humor surgically removed", so I understand what you saying quite well, actually.
              Hereditary female shamans:
              [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lByxFUvkBpo[/youtube]

Realy? I was under impression that there is clear distinction between these two groups. At least they make a distinction.
              You might find some of these useful:
              Russia close-up: Shamans and lamas buddy buddy in Tyva (video included)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-cGfehQ91Q&feature=channel[/youtube]

Interview with Aldynay Sden-Khuurak (video included)

Real-life shamans talk to the dead (video included)
              Well summed up.
              [/quote]

Thanks. ^-^ Like I said, I don't know everything. I can't access the videos until I get home (stupid gov. computers), but I can't wait to see them!

About the Buddhists: I should have worded that a little differently. They aren't 'considered' Shamans such as 'hey a Buddhist is a Shaman'. However, Shamanism has strong roots in Asia, with it's influence found in the nature-based spiritual practices of China, Tibet, Japan, and Korea. Technically, according to the etymology of the word, shamanism most appropriately refers to the practices of those spirit workers in Central Asia and Siberia. So I definitely should have used different wording when posting that. ^ - ^ A reminder to reread what I write!
              The Past is our Cradle, not our Prison; there is Danger as well as Appeal in its Glamour. The Past is for Inspiration, not Immitation; Continuation, not Repetition.

Its a long way back to Eden, dear. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Comment

How did you realize that shamanism was the right path for you?

Comment

Comment

These are all pretty much based on the path that I follow. I don't have a list of books for shamanism in general. Sorry.

"The Gift of Life: Female Spirituality and Healing in Northern Peru"
                    by Bonnie Glass-Coffin - 1998 - University of New Mexico Press

"The Spirit of Shamanism"
                    by Roger N. Walsh - Jeremy P. Tarcher inc. - 1990

"The Way of the Shaman: A Guide to Power and Healing"
                    by Michael Harner - Harper and Rowe - 1980

"Shamanism: Archaic Techniques of Ecstasy"
                    by Mircea Eliade - Princeton University press - 1964

"Huachumero"
                    by R. Donald Skillman - San Diego Museum of Man Ethnic Technology Notes no. 22 -1990

"Sorcery and Shamanism: Curanderos and Clients in Northern Peru"
                    by Donald Joralemon and Douglas Sharon - University of Utah Press - 1993

"Peruvian Shamanism: the Pachakuti Mesa"
                    by Matt Magee - Middlefield Publications - 2003

"Rituals of Respect: The Secret of Survival in the High Peruvian Andes"
                    by Ruth Inge Bolin - University of Texas Press - 1998

"Woven Stories: Andean Textiles and Rituals"
                    by Andrea M. Heckman - University of New Mexico Press - 2003

"Signs of the Inca Khipu: Binary Coding in the Andean Knotted-String Records"
                    by Gary Urton - University of Texas Press - 2003

"Between the Lines: The Mystery of the Giant Ground Drawings of Ancient Nasca, Peru"
                    by Anthony F. Aveni -University of Texas Press - 2000

"The Hold Life Has: Coca and Cultural Identity in an Andean Community"
                    by Catherine J. Allen - Smithsonian Institution Press - 1988

"The Secret of the Incas: Myth, Astronomy and the War Against Time"
                    by William Sullivan - Three Rivers Press - 1996

"Lakota Star knowledge: Studies in Lakota Stellar Knowledge"
                    by Ronald Goodman - Sinte Gleska University -1992

"Daimonic Reality: Understanding Otherworld Encounters"
                    by Patrick Harpur -Arkana Penguin Books -1995

"Ayni: Semiotica Andina de los Espacios Sagrados"
                    by Carlos Milla Villena - Asociacion Cultural Amaru Wayra - 2003

"The Sacred Landscape of the Inca: The Cusco Ceque System"
                    by Brian S. Bauer - University of Texas Press - 1998

"Lines to the Mountain Gods: Nazca and the Mysteries of Peru"
                    by Evan Hadingham - University opf Oklahoma Press - 1987

"The Rebirth of Nature: The Greening of Science and God"
                    by Rupert Sheldrake - Park Street Press - 1994

"The Spell of the Sensuous: Perception and Language in a More-Than-Human World"
                    by David Abram - Vintage Books - 1996

"The Hidden Connections: Integrating the Biological, Cognitive, and Social Dimensions of Life into a Science of Sustainability"
                    by Fritjof Capra - Doubleday - 2002
                    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                    Sneak Attack

Comment

[quote author=Amber link=topic=233.msg4886#msg4886 date=1287513121]
                      How did you realize that shamanism was the right path for you?
                      [/quote]

Looking back on how I've lead my life, it just made sense. It was as if something clicked into place, when my mother was telling me about the workshops she's been attending. Naturally, I wanted to go and finally got the chance to go when I was 13-14. I attended a weekend workshop where we learned several things such as grounding, shielding, working with chakras (mostly the 2nd chakra), visited the summerlands on a journey. It was pretty eye opening for me and I've been following it one way or another ever since.
                      Sneak Attack

Comment

Working...
                      X