Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Triple God, Triple Goddess - Wheel of the Year ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Triple God, Triple Goddess - Wheel of the Year ...

Ok, I have been doing research on the Triple God. I have his three phases broken as follows with the aspect that he relates to being the sun.

Warrior - Sun Up
    Father - Midday/Noon
    Sage - Sun down

The warrior's consort is the maiden. Te father's consort is the mother. The sage's consort is the crone.

Now I have been trying to place these on the Wheel of the Year. Here's what I've got worked out:

Yule: God born (warrior), Goddess Gives girth (not sure which phase)
    Imbloc: God gains strength (warrior); Goddess recovering (maiden)
    Ostara: God marries Goddess? (Warrior); Goddess married God, concieves? (Maiden)
    Beltane: God hungry for Goddess (Father?); Goddess concieves? (Mother)
    Midsummer: God at greatest strength (Father); Goddess pregnant (mother)
    Lammas: God's strength waning (sage); Goddess (mother)
    Mabon: God prepares for "death" (sage); Goddess heavy with child (mother/crone?)
    Samain: God "dies" (sage); Goddess rests (crone)

Some of this makes sense, but then it doesn't. I just want to see what everyone else thinks, get others ideas!

Thanks,
    ~ Corsair

Re: Triple God, Triple Goddess - Wheel of the Year ...

I've never come across anything on a Triple God wheel of the year. (Not that I can remember, just now, and I have to admit that my memory is severely crippled by my being sick and taking OTC flu medicine.) Is this a pet project? Or have I missed some major chapters in all the different wheels of the year?

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Um, I say it's a pet project. I found something a looooonnnnngggg time ago about the Triple God. I can't find it anywhere now! So, I have just been pulling together what little bit I can find. It makes sense with my belief system to have a Triple Goddess and a Triple God as her consort. I am just try to figure out how exactly the God and Goddess relate and fall unto the Wheel of the Year. If that makes sense!

~ Corsair

Comment

Hmm.. I've always seen their wedding placed at Beltaine (as well as her becoming pregnant).
        Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Originally posted by CorsairsHope View Post

Some of this makes sense, but then it doesn't. I just want to see what everyone else thinks, get others ideas!
          In some sense, I gave up on getting logic out of the WOTY many years ago--but, if you want a good break down and explanation of the WOTY cycle and the different aspects, I recommend that you check out A Witches' Bible by Stewart and Janet Farrar. I'm pretty darn sure (being based in the Alexandrian tradition), that they don't go into the idea of a Triple God at all (its been a loooooong time since I read it)--its a fairly older book and AFAIK, the Triple God idea is pretty new-but they do go into good detail about the WOTY stages, which i think would give you better insight. I will warn you, being that it is a bit of an older book, and that it is closer to BTW than most Wiccan-esque/eclectic Pagan stuff out there, it does come off as pretty dogmatic---BUT I happen to think it is a book that anyone on (any) contemporary Pagan path should read in the name of being well-rounded and well-informed.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
            I've never come across anything on a Triple God wheel of the year. (Not that I can remember, just now, and I have to admit that my memory is severely crippled by my being sick and taking OTC flu medicine.) Is this a pet project? Or have I missed some major chapters in all the different wheels of the year?

I have seen it referenced before, but its not that common...and I don't remember where, or any details. It seemed (at the time) to be an attempt to give the male half of the Wiccan duotheism more of an equal footing and influence as the female half.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

To me, the God ages throughout the year, but His 'phases' aren't as emphasized as the Goddess'. He's also better suited to roles more along the lines of Youth/Man/Elder than Warrior/Father. A man can be a soldier or warrior and a father, youth or elder.

Yule/Imbolc/Spring Equinox - the God is a Youth, unsure of His strength. He, like a boy from birth to adolescence, doesn't really notice the Goddess. She Herself is recovering from His birth at Yule, cleansing and regaining Her maidenhood. Some see the Goddess as crone at Imbolc, trying to hold the earth in the icy grip of winter, and the God as youth being in contention with Her, trying to breathe life and warmth into the earth as the springtime sun, and in a way this would make sense as most boys try to gain independence from mom.

Beltaine/Summer Solstice - the God is Man, holding His rightful place in the sky as the waxing Sun, He is King among the deer herds, and the Goddess has taken Him as Her rightful consort once more. Seeds have been planted and the Goddess is Mother once again.

Lughnasadh/Autumn Equinox - the God is beginning to tire, His golden tresses fade to gray. He no longer fights off the other stags as fiercely as He did in spring and early summer. He is past courting the Goddess and is content to let the afternoon shadows grow long. The Goddess is now the one busy in the fields, making sure all is right for the harvests.

Samhain - the God dies. While the Goddess is a crone-like figure, welcoming Her consort to the underworld, She is still pregnant with the new God, waiting to be born once more at Yule.
              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                To me, the God ages throughout the year, but His 'phases' aren't as emphasized as the Goddess'. He's also better suited to roles more along the lines of Youth/Man/Elder than Warrior/Father. A man can be a soldier or warrior and a father, youth or elder.

Yule/Imbolc/Spring Equinox - the God is a Youth, unsure of His strength. He, like a boy from birth to adolescence, doesn't really notice the Goddess. She Herself is recovering from His birth at Yule, cleansing and regaining Her maidenhood. Some see the Goddess as crone at Imbolc, trying to hold the earth in the icy grip of winter, and the God as youth being in contention with Her, trying to breathe life and warmth into the earth as the springtime sun, and in a way this would make sense as most boys try to gain independence from mom.

Beltaine/Summer Solstice - the God is Man, holding His rightful place in the sky as the waxing Sun, He is King among the deer herds, and the Goddess has taken Him as Her rightful consort once more. Seeds have been planted and the Goddess is Mother once again.

Lughnasadh/Autumn Equinox - the God is beginning to tire, His golden tresses fade to gray. He no longer fights off the other stags as fiercely as He did in spring and early summer. He is past courting the Goddess and is content to let the afternoon shadows grow long. The Goddess is now the one busy in the fields, making sure all is right for the harvests.

Samhain - the God dies. While the Goddess is a crone-like figure, welcoming Her consort to the underworld, She is still pregnant with the new God, waiting to be born once more at Yule.
                I don't follow this belief system, but I have to say from an outside perspective this would make sense
                -=Ex Ignorantia Ad Sapientiam; E Luce Ad Tenebras=-

My art and writing http://khaotyk-artwerx.tk/
                (whole site is marked adult, the adult and gore sections are in their own section so you can opt not to view them, adult and/or gore stories are marked with an *)

Comment

HmHm! Very good info! I am going to have to go over and re-go over everything! Thanks all! I'll repost later what I come up with!
                  ~ Corsair

Comment

this sounds very interesting. i am going to have look some things up

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

Working...
                    X