Need a good substitute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a good substitute

So I recently got my Wicca cookbook in the mail and I've decided to make a stuffed pumpkin for my Aunt this weekend but the recipe calls for turkey and turkey sausage. I don't have the time for turkey so I was going to use chicken instead but I hate sausage. What else could you recommend I use?
    ~Earth My Body~Water My Blood~Air My Breath~Fire My Spirit~

Re: Need a good substitute

[quote author=SageGreene link=topic=248.msg2174#msg2174 date=1286993019]
    So I recently got my Wicca cookbook in the mail and I've decided to make a stuffed pumpkin for my Aunt this weekend but the recipe calls for turkey and turkey sausage. I don't have the time for turkey so I was going to use chicken instead but I hate sausage. What else could you recommend I use?
    [/quote]

It depends--do you dislike the texture, or the seasoning if sausage? And how is it being used in the recipe?
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

I don't like anything about sausage lol the texture, the taste, the gritty-ness, the flavor, ewwww. It's used as just an ingredient. You're supposed to cook the turkey with veggies and then add it to the sausage mix with more veggies and then add it to the pumpkin and let it all bake. I assume it's for thickening, you know to give the insides volume? (I know that's not the exact word I want but it will do for now)

Comment

Maybe you could just use more turkey or vegetables?
        Hearth and Hedge

Comment

I have a "fake sausage" recipe that consists of walnuts, eggs, and spices. It tastes like sausage but doesn't really have the texture of it. Maybe use nuts and some binding agent?
          my etsy store
          My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
          surrounded by plush, downy things,
          ill prepared, but willing,
          to descend."

Comment

Ground chicken works great! When I used to not eat red meat, that's what my mom put in our turkey stuffing instead of sausage at thanksgiving.

Comment

Yeah, I would think adding more veggies would work, as would ground chicken as Danie suggested. I personally enjoy ground turkey.
              Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
              -Erik Erikson

Comment

You could always try couscous or quinoa for the nuttiness & bulk.
                The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I'd just use ground pork, personally...but I like it better with squash then poultry.
                  Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

I figure I'll just add more chicken and veggies. I would love to use turkey (I enjoy it also) but I just don't have the time. I work 5am to 11am that morning and she'll be here around noon or so so no turkey But yeah I think just adding more chicken and veggies will work well. I'm going to post pics when it's done I'm super excited!!

Comment

Working...
                    X