Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring Equinox

Oct 2009
    Religion
    Witchy Pagan

Spring Equinox

Do you have plans for the Spring Equinox?
    Do you have a favourite poem, blessing or spell that you would like to share?
    What you see depends on what you are looking for.

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

Re: Spring Equinox

No plans yet, but it's one of my favourites to celebrate because I hate fall and winter with pure passion and I feel the day winter officially ends is a cause for a lot of celebration.

I think I might do a garden blessing of some sorts, and make a roast with spring veggies (asparagus and stuff like that).

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

No plans for me - I'll still be at work. So I'm pretty sure I will work for 12 hours (which really feels like 1242) and then I will collapse into bed, and another day will be done.
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

I'm going to throw a birthday party...Sophie will be 4.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Canaanite Polytheism

I have plans, but they need a bit of organizing still. Last year I was in Rome during the holiday so I just said a prayer of thanks to the Roman gods and my own outside the Pantheon, which was a wonderful way to spend the holiday, but I'm glad to be home to celebrate properly again.

Typically there is a standard ritual; I like to decorate with flowers, ask the gods to bless this year's seeds for the garden and other projects I'm "growing", and cook a meal that incorporates fish. (Texts indicate that it was traditional- at least in some regions- to have fish during the holiday. This may have to do with fish commonly being identified with fertility in the middle east.) I'm also trying a new ritual that involves ritually destroying an effigy of a god that I associate with winter. It's inspired by a myth and a traditional ritual, but what I'm doing is a contemporary interpretation.
    "Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful," and sitting in the shade." - Rudyard Kipling

Mathbatu: A Canaanite Polytheist's Blog
    Sparrow Wings: A Personal Blog

Jun 2007
    Religion
    Norse Something-or-Other
    Phrase
    Nice is not the same as good.

Out of curiosity, anyone here celebrate it somewhere still covered in snow? We usually get snow off and on through mid-April, with occasional snow through June here.

Oct 2009
    Religion
    Witchy Pagan

Quote Originally Posted by DeseretRose View Post
    Out of curiosity, anyone here celebrate it somewhere still covered in snow? We usually get snow off and on through mid-April, with occasional snow through June here.
    yep...Lots of snow...
    you get snow in June? even here in Canada, that would be unusual.

I like this:

Celebrate balance at Mabon/Ostara
    Equal hours of light and darkness
    we celebrate the balance of Mabon,
    and ask the gods to bless us.
    For all that is bad, there is good.
    For that which is despair, there is hope.
    For the moments of pain, there are moments of love.
    For all that falls, there is the chance to rise again.
    May we find balance in our lives
    as we find it in our hearts.
    Last edited by Celest; 03 Mar 2011 at 17:09.
    What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Canaanite Polytheism

Quote Originally Posted by DeseretRose View Post
    Thankfully we don't get snow as late into the year as you folks do, but it does often snow well into March and it's pretty drab around here for the equinox. The tiniest signs of spring just begin to show- April is when the season really kicks off. How the heck do you handle having the damnable white stuff around for so long? I'd go nuts!
    "Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful," and sitting in the shade." - Rudyard Kipling

Mathbatu: A Canaanite Polytheist's Blog
    Sparrow Wings: A Personal Blog

Feb 2011
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan

Still covered in snow here! Except where the paths I dug have melted down. I set up my spring altar the other day. I'll have to post pics. It's simple but nice. I'm not sure what I am doing, but I'll do something!

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by Celest View Post

I like this:

Celebrate balance at Mabon/Ostara
    Equal hours of light and darkness
    we celebrate the balance of Mabon,
    and ask the gods to bless us.
    For all that is bad, there is good.
    For that which is despair, there is hope.
    For the moments of pain, there are moments of love.
    For all that falls, there is the chance to rise again.
    May we find balance in our lives
    as we find it in our hearts.

hmmm...thats funny, because I usually do a reading of the "for everything there is a season..." verse from Ecclesiastes at the Equinoxes...

I celebrate them more as a time of balance and transtition and less as spring/fall as well...even though it is *somewhat* seasonally appropriate (at least its more seasonal than ya'll). I really see Beltane/Samhain more representative of spring/fall than the equinoxes, being that its more the peak of what each season represents.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible