Spring Equinox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring Equinox

Do you have plans for the Spring Equinox?
    Do you have a favourite poem, blessing or spell that you would like to share?
    What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Re: Spring Equinox

No plans yet, but it's one of my favourites to celebrate because I hate fall and winter with pure passion and I feel the day winter officially ends is a cause for a lot of celebration.

I think I might do a garden blessing of some sorts, and make a roast with spring veggies (asparagus and stuff like that).

Comment

No plans for me - I'll still be at work. So I'm pretty sure I will work for 12 hours (which really feels like 1242) and then I will collapse into bed, and another day will be done.

Mostly art.

Comment

I'm going to throw a birthday party...Sophie will be 4.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

I have plans, but they need a bit of organizing still. Last year I was in Rome during the holiday so I just said a prayer of thanks to the Roman gods and my own outside the Pantheon, which was a wonderful way to spend the holiday, but I'm glad to be home to celebrate properly again.

Typically there is a standard ritual; I like to decorate with flowers, ask the gods to bless this year's seeds for the garden and other projects I'm "growing", and cook a meal that incorporates fish. (Texts indicate that it was traditional- at least in some regions- to have fish during the holiday. This may have to do with fish commonly being identified with fertility in the middle east.) I'm also trying a new ritual that involves ritually destroying an effigy of a god that I associate with winter. It's inspired by a myth and a traditional ritual, but what I'm doing is a contemporary interpretation.
          "Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful," and sitting in the shade." - Rudyard Kipling

Mathbatu: A Canaanite Polytheist's Blog
          Sparrow Wings: A Personal Blog

Comment

Out of curiosity, anyone here celebrate it somewhere still covered in snow? We usually get snow off and on through mid-April, with occasional snow through June here.
            Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by DeseretRose View Post
              Out of curiosity, anyone here celebrate it somewhere still covered in snow? We usually get snow off and on through mid-April, with occasional snow through June here.
              yep...Lots of snow...
              you get snow in June? even here in Canada, that would be unusual.

I like this:

Celebrate balance at Mabon/Ostara
              Equal hours of light and darkness
              we celebrate the balance of Mabon,
              and ask the gods to bless us.
              For all that is bad, there is good.
              For that which is despair, there is hope.
              For the moments of pain, there are moments of love.
              For all that falls, there is the chance to rise again.
              May we find balance in our lives
              as we find it in our hearts.
              Last edited by Celest; 03 Mar 2011, 17:09.
              What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

Thankfully we don't get snow as late into the year as you folks do, but it does often snow well into March and it's pretty drab around here for the equinox. The tiniest signs of spring just begin to show- April is when the season really kicks off. How the heck do you handle having the damnable white stuff around for so long? I'd go nuts!
                "Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful," and sitting in the shade." - Rudyard Kipling

Mathbatu: A Canaanite Polytheist's Blog
                Sparrow Wings: A Personal Blog

Comment

Still covered in snow here! Except where the paths I dug have melted down. I set up my spring altar the other day. I'll have to post pics. It's simple but nice. I'm not sure what I am doing, but I'll do something!

Comment

Originally posted by Celest View Post

I like this:

hmmm...thats funny, because I usually do a reading of the "for everything there is a season..." verse from Ecclesiastes at the Equinoxes...

I celebrate them more as a time of balance and transtition and less as spring/fall as well...even though it is *somewhat* seasonally appropriate (at least its more seasonal than ya'll). I really see Beltane/Samhain more representative of spring/fall than the equinoxes, being that its more the peak of what each season represents.
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm planning to do a sunrise ritual to welcome spring and the light half of the year. Later in the day I'd like to have a fire and do a garden blessing. Probably do some baking and paint eggs, too... Not totally sure of all the exact details yet.

I'm thinking there will still be some snow around at the equinox here in NH. It's been a few years since I celebrated here, but I do remember some years had a good bit of snow still. There's usually enough melt that it feels like spring has started, though.
                      Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Originally posted by Celest View Post
                        yep...Lots of snow...
                        you get snow in June? even here in Canada, that would be unusual.

I like this:

I like it, Celest!

And yes, we still get snow in June sometimes, here. It's the altitude. We're tucked right up in the Rockies by Yellowstone. It usually doesn't stick after early April, and then starts up again in October, sometimes sooner.
                        Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

I'll be honouring air and most likely doing a huge thank you for the new beginnings I'm finally starting to feel. March started off with a major turn around (actually on the first and has been growing since) so I feel the need to honour that.
                          -=Ex Ignorantia Ad Sapientiam; E Luce Ad Tenebras=-

My art and writing http://khaotyk-artwerx.tk/
                          (whole site is marked adult, the adult and gore sections are in their own section so you can opt not to view them, adult and/or gore stories are marked with an *)

Comment

I always think it's the 21st. I SWEAR that was always on the calendar, but now I keep seeing it's the 20th. Does it maybe make a difference that the dates are from the US and that's further south? Or do I just screw it up?

I still feel like it was today though. I did my celebration this afternoon (in sunlight, the way I feel is best for me this time of year).

Comment

The time does vary from location to location, which would possibly change what day the exact time of the equinox is depending on where you are in the world. The time, and the date, changes from year to year even in the same location - so here it was the 20th this year (but at 7pm eastern time, so some are calling this the first 'full' day of spring here), but next year it may be the 21st or even 19th.

I celebrated yesterday, got up to watch the sun rise, even though technically today's sunrise would have been the first of spring (and would have been covered by clouds...).
                              Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Working...
                              X