Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spiritual Authority : do you recognise it? And other questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spiritual Authority : do you recognise it? And other questions...

[quote author=Tylluan Penry link=topic=252.msg3195#msg3195 date=1287177334]
    Absolutely, which is why I specified 'spiritual' authority in my OP, even though that in itself is a description that's wide open to a number of different interpretations.
    [/quote]

Apologies, I have gone off on tangents a couple times. The topic has just come close to being generalized at a couple points and well... some authority should not be laughed at. Bad things happen.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

No need for apologies - I think it's important to make the distinction that some types of authority are with us whether we like it or not. Whatever I personally think of Plod (UK -speak for the police ) or politicians, I have to accept that they are there in my world and to a greater or lesser extent they must be dealt with (depending on one's activities.)

Spiritual authority is slightly different however, and I'm well aware that it's a bit of a vague term at the best of times!
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

---do you recognize spiritual authority?
        Personally no, but then I don't' follow a faith that has specific spiritual authority. However, I will say that I respect other people's recognition for a spiritual authority, whether that be a god(s), goddess(s), or a human in a higher station within an organized religion. I would show respect, when meeting the pope for example, because I think the amount of study and dedication it takes to get that title, the effort of doing so, is worthy of respect. But his beliefs and his path are not something I would look to for guidance. Also, that respect needs to be returned. If I met the pope and he was disrespectful to me, then he would lose whatever respect I had for him.

That also works in my case, for political figures. The ones elected to office, would have my respect so long as they showed a modicum of respect for the group they claim to speak for.

Outside of recognition that any authority figure has by way of extra knowledge, study, or dedication, they are equal to me, in that we are both human. As it is my personal belief that we all come from the same energy.

--Do you think it's even necessary?
        A tricky question. I think for organized religion it is good to have a group to look to for guidance for those that follow and agree the same, to serve as a source of accurate information to those that don't follow the path of organized religion. However, I think those who have authority to guide others need to have the control of their own desires, and the respect for their faith's followers, to prevent them from overstepping the boundaries they're allowed in. A person of religious authority is just that, a person. What they say should be taken with a grain of salt regardless of whether or not you follow their faith. I don't think their word should be law.

---Does the Pagan community need it?
        No. I can see that leading to a number of arguments and problems, if we were to try and instate of governing body, as pagan is an umbrella term. However it would be nice to have an accurate knowledge base to look to for those that have misconceptions on what being pagan means. And again, to each, that's ultimately not that same.

---Do you need it?
        No. As far as spiritual authority in my own path, there is none, as I do not currently follow a faith with a set a guidelines and rules. I have my own moral and spiritual code, and am of the belief that because we all come from the same energy, and because no one mind works the say way, people may interpret that energy as they wish, whether that be Buddha, or Christ, or the Goddess, or any number of other paths. The problem comes when they take it upon themselves 'the authority' to thrust their beliefs on others.

Comment

Thank you for your input - you raise some interesting issues. I think many of the posters here (myself included) feel that showing respect for any type of authority (but especially spiritual) has to be a two way thing. Just because I show respect for someone else's opinions doesn't mean I share them. Often - and I think this can be a real problem with some organised religions - showing respect is often confused with the right to demand deference. Like you, I don't think any religious figure has the right to insist that their word is law for everyone - if their followers choose to think so, that's their perogative.
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Working...
          X