Rosemary as medicine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rosemary as medicine

I have a pretty good quantity of rosemary tincture as I use it to clean my ears when I feel a potential ear ache coming on. I was just reading about other uses for it and one web site mentioned that it can be used internally as a blood stimulant for those with low blood pressure. As it happens, I have low blood pressure. Can anyone substantiate this claim?

The same web site suggested a dosage of 40 drops rosemary tincture twice daily. Is this a good dose? I'm 23, 5'9", 150 lbs, and in good general health, if that helps.

Last question: I once added half a dropper of rosemary tincture to a cup of hot tea while fighting off a cold, and it tasted awful. Is there anything else I can add it to that would taste better?

Thanks in advance.
    Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
    -Erik Erikson

Re: Rosemary as medicine

[quote author=Clive link=topic=255.msg2330#msg2330 date=1287015180]Last question: I once added half a dropper of rosemary tincture to a cup of hot tea while fighting off a cold, and it tasted awful. Is there anything else I can add it to that would taste better?[/quote]

I can't answer about the high blood pressure, but as for the tea, try a bit of lemon and honey. (Especially nice if you have a sore throat.)
    Hearth and Hedge

Comment

In my experience tinctures...well...they just taste blegh.

I just take 'em straight and fast and make sure I have something to wash them down with.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

[quote author=Gardenia link=topic=255.msg2796#msg2796 date=1287103475]
        I can't answer about the high blood pressure, but as for the tea, try a bit of lemon and honey. (Especially nice if you have a sore throat.)[/quote]

It was pretty strong, I think a lot of honey and lemon are in order. lol Thanks for the tip.

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=255.msg2799#msg2799 date=1287103831]
        In my experience tinctures...well...they just taste blegh.

I just take 'em straight and fast and make sure I have something to wash them down with.
        [/quote]

Yeah, you're probably right. The only tincture that I've taken internally more than once has been passion flower, as a sedative and to help with my anxiety and it actually tastes pretty good in my Earl Gray.

I think rosemary in particular is a very strong, resinous herb in its own right, so extracting its essence and ingesting it is of course going to taste pretty blegh even if the alcohol evaporates. If sweetening the tea doesn't help I'll give taking it straight a try. Can't be much worse than swallowing cough syrup really fast, eh?

Thanks for your suggestion.
        Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
        -Erik Erikson

Comment

[quote author=Clive link=topic=255.msg2904#msg2904 date=1287113009]
          It was pretty strong, I think a lot of honey and lemon are in order. lol Thanks for the tip.[/quote]

Well, you could always just take the tincture from a shot glass and chase it with a few spoons of honey, lol. :P
          Hearth and Hedge

Comment

[quote author=Gardenia link=topic=255.msg2911#msg2911 date=1287114668]
            Well, you could always just take the tincture from a shot glass and chase it with a few spoons of honey, lol. :P
            [/quote]

Another good idea. Thanks!
            -Erik Erikson

Comment

Sage is great for sore throats too. I gargled with it and it seemed to help. The taste is much easier to handle too.

Just want to throw this in there too: A Tea Tree and Oil of Oregano blend is incredible for cold sores. It cut the healing time by a 1/3 for me!

Comment

Clive,

I may be wrong, but I believe rosemary can be a stimulant to the nervous system. So as it may help your blood pressure, it can also aggravate your anxiety that you're taking the passion flower tincture for.

You may wish to check into it, but as far as I know this is true.

Comment

[quote author=Veronica link=topic=255.msg9427#msg9427 date=1288742886]
                  Clive,

I may be wrong, but I believe rosemary can be a stimulant to the nervous system. So as it may help your blood pressure, it can also aggravate your anxiety that you're taking the passion flower tincture for.

You may wish to check into it, but as far as I know this is true.
                  [/quote]

That seems to make sense, but for whatever reason Googling "rosemary anxiety" brings up a whole bunch of pages which say that rosemary can actually be used to treat anxiety, through both aromatherapy and internal use.

I'm having a hell of a time finding a combination of herbs that work well for me. I do have anxiety much of the time, but simultaneously I feel tired all the time, as though I never sleep (even though I get plenty of sleep). It's a tough cycle to beat.
                  -Erik Erikson

Comment

Magically, Rosemary has the ability to attract friendship and also to help you remain young looking.

www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Clive,

You're probably right. I get things mixed up a lot of the time! I texted my cousin (where I tend to get a lot of my info) and she says that rosemary used in aromatherapy can be invigorating. Sometimes however this extra energy can cause people who have sensitive nerves to feel 'over-amped' and that can feel like anxiety. Make sense?

I am thinking about it though and it seems to me that's like putting the warning on the daytime cold medicine that says "could cause drowsiness" as well as "could cause jitters" Oy Vey!

Don't listen to me anyway, I am always rambling on about something...

Comment

No prob, Veronica. Thanks for the advice.
                        -Erik Erikson

Comment

[quote author=Tylluan Penry link=topic=255.msg9576#msg9576 date=1288784031]
                          Magically, Rosemary has the ability to attract friendship and also to help you remain young looking.

[/quote]

And if you're a brunette, it keeps your hair looking sexy.

Mostly art.

Comment

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=255.msg9658#msg9658 date=1288809821]
                            And if you're a brunette, it keeps your hair looking sexy.
                            [/quote]

It does indeed!
                            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

[quote author=Clive link=topic=255.msg2330#msg2330 date=1287015180]
                              I have a pretty good quantity of rosemary tincture as I use it to clean my ears when I feel a potential ear ache coming on. I was just reading about other uses for it and one web site mentioned that it can be used internally as a blood stimulant for those with low blood pressure. As it happens, I have low blood pressure. Can anyone substantiate this claim?

The same web site suggested a dosage of 40 drops rosemary tincture twice daily. Is this a good dose? I'm 23, 5'9", 150 lbs, and in good general health, if that helps.

Last question: I once added half a dropper of rosemary tincture to a cup of hot tea while fighting off a cold, and it tasted awful. Is there anything else I can add it to that would taste better?

Thanks in advance.
                              [/quote]

hi Clive

the German Commission E (essentially Germany's version of the FDA) found that rosemary oil/tincture can be used to correct blood pressure problems by stabilising capillary permeability and fragility. however this was based on a relatively small study (100 or so people) and results have not been repeated. the MIMS (Australia's version of the FDA) states that Rosemary is same to use as an alternative to blood pressure medication in mild cases however medical management is requires in moderate to sever cases.

if it is used one must note to follow dosage guidelines (for rosemary leaves 4 to 6 g/day, or for essential oil a dose of 0.1 to 1 ml) as rosemary can have serious side effects including gastric bleeding, irritation to the bowels and kidney damage as well as seizures and abortions at high sustained levels.
                              But mummy the other religions dont have to 'an it harm none'

Comment

Working...
                              X