The Save Money Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Save Money Thread!

Tips, patterns, recipes, links, etc....all things free and cheap!

-I'll start.....if you like old movies, www.archive.org has a ton of public domain stuff available to download!

-When I go grocery shopping, I look through my cupboards and my fridge and stuff first, see what I have, look at recipes and plan what I can make using those things. Then I buy the rest of the ingredients. Otherwise I'll just go to the store and buy whatever looks tasty and waste food because I get stuff I don't really need.

Re: The Save Money Thread!

my tip:
    Sundays I usually cook a roast for a 'friends and family' dinner, so now I just stick another roast (maybe pork) or a large chicken or turkey in the oven and cook it at the same time. Slice it up, put it in containers and freeze for later in the week. Just a couple of minutes in the microwave and dinner's ready. It saves quite a bit on the electricity bill. I usually cook extra potatoes/rice the same day too.
    What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

I like to make my own detergent, and I believe thal has a recipe listed somewhere. As an extra bonus the ingredients used to make the detergent are also useful as household cleaners in other ways. I use borax as a dishwashing soap. I use washing soda as a general cleaner, along with baking soda and vinegar. I mix up some water with some castille soap when I wash dishes by hand. I also grate my castille soap so it goes further.
      my etsy store
      My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
      surrounded by plush, downy things,
      ill prepared, but willing,
      to descend."

Comment

As I posted way back on the old forum, I can be a somewhat impulsive shopper sometimes. I use shopping like some people smoke or drink. Online shopping is the worst because it's so EASY. I can have a lot of self control if I'm actually out in a store but online in the comfort of my own home, forget it.

I made a list to look at of little reminders from keeping myself from buying. I told myself that a) I have to stop and think for a bit first, and b) ideally I should wait 24 hours and then reassess the buy.

Also the list is set out into 2 categories: first I have things I might want to buy and things I can do to curb that impulse. For example, if I want to buy clothes, I first have to go into my wardrobe (which you can see is NOT small in the picture post thread) and put together at least 3 new outfits out of things I already have). Or I can look at my patterns and huge closet full of fabric, or whip together some quick accessories that will change my "look." OR if I want to buy books (I big one for me because it always seems justified even if it's not), I have to go look at my bookshelf and pull out all the books I haven't read yet so I can stare in the face at just where more books will get me. The second category I have is emotional responses that usually cause me to buy and other things I can do to help. Like if I'm feeling lonely, I can make plans with friends to look forward to, call someone, or write a letter or card to a family member I haven't talked to in a while.

Comment

Working...
        X