This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brief Interview with Ayn Rand

Stumbled across it...thought y'all might enjoy...

Re: Brief Interview with Ayn Rand

I dig Ayn Rand. Not like I am supposed to though. She's right up there in the Satanic Trifecta of Rand, Nietzche and Crowley. I adore Phil Donahue (as an aside) Other than that, I get totally what she is saying. Except...
    Interviewer: Now the reason you don't is because you can't prove that such an entity or being or energy exists.

Ayn Rand: I can't nor can anyone else. There is no proof.

Interviewer: There is no proof so therefore you've concluded that there isn't one?

Ayn Rand: That's right.
    I have a slight issue with this. I've always contended that just because we are unable to prove something right now, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And two, I cannot blame an omnipotent being (if there is one) for my limit of understanding. At one point people could not explain the stars and made up fantastical explanations for them. The stars have always been the stars regardless of where our understanding or lack there of has stood on the line of brainz.
    It has to be either reason or faith.
    It doesn't have to. That's just one human's perception.

*that's all I got for tonight. Not feeling so great. :=I:
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Nietzsche’s take on the “uimprovability of God" was somewhat different from Rand's, and (I'd say) more reasonable.

Since the existence of God cannot be neither proven or disproved, it is irrational to act on either faith in god’s existence, or in faith of God's lack of existence - which means that you have to act without taking God into consideration.

In other words, whether God exists or not, you're on your own.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
        In other words, whether God exists or not, you're on your own.
        Probably the most concise statement of what I learned during my years as a believer

Comment

Originally posted by Roknrol View Post
          Probably the most concise statement of what I learned during my years as a believer
          Yep, I feel the same. My take is that I am beyond the place of proving or disproving a deity. I have always claimed that God does not exist, for me. And that can really be the only non arrogant answer.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Working...
          X