Thread: Pictures for thalassa (Victorian dresses)

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

Pictures for thalassa (Victorian dresses)

This is for thal but also anyone else who is interested! I know I said that when I was at the Victoria & Albert Museum WAY back that I'd take some pics of Victorian dresses, and I did but I am lame about uploading photos. I finally got around to it though, and since it's so late I threw in some scans I took from a book my friend lent me from the Kyoto Costume Institute.
    I'm not sure exactly what you wanted...I know you're really into civil war stuff but I wasn't 100% sure which styles made their way over there then (fashion wasn't so fast in the 1800s and I'm more familiar with European fashion of that time) so I have a bunch of stuff from the 1840's-late 1860's.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Re: Pictures for thalassa (Victorian dresses)

sweet!!

/10 char
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Heathen

I love the drop shoulders on the bodices! Thanks for posting these Danie.
    You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

The yellow one is still my fave (I think it was in the recent movie on Queen Victoria)...but for my purposes, the first one is most similar to what was fashionable as a middle/upper class woman in the (American) CW--and is acceptible in the reenactor community without getting too much crap...

...but I like the last one as a possibility for a ball gown...
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

I like the last one too and I actually think it's not too complicated. I really want to make something like it!

I'm doing a Victorian dress for Halloween. Though I'm tossing between that and more an 18th century Marie Antoinette style gown. I'll probably make both at some point, though who knows where I'll wear it. They can be like my Dirndl I'm making (unfortunately living in northern Germany doesn't present opportunities to wear such a southern garment, but I love it because my family is from there and my oma made me one when I was a kid!) I guess I'll just wear them around the house and pretend I'm a princess or something. Because I'd probably actually do that (whoever is marrying me is getting a GEM!)

Jul 2005

Quote Originally Posted by DanieMarie View Post
    They can be like my Dirndl I'm making (unfortunately living in northern Germany doesn't present opportunities to wear such a southern garment, but I love it because my family is from there and my oma made me one when I was a kid!)
    I'm doing a Dirndl for Halloween Need to get hold of some Stein glasses though hehe.

I love the dresses, I love everything victorian. If i could time travel, Victorian England would be the place i go to!!
    I'm deffinatley taking a trip to the V&A museum as soon as i can get to london.

Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

Go! It's totally awesome!

I want to make another trip there, because they were doing some work on the fashion section while I was there and they only had a smaller exhibition of some of the pieces.

Oct 2009
    Religion
    ~Eclectic Pagan~
    Phrase
    "Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way you are right." -Henry Ford

These are incredibly beautiful. I would just love to wear a dress like these someday
    http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=87&dateline=133754480  9