Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pictures for thalassa (Victorian dresses)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pictures for thalassa (Victorian dresses)

This is for thal but also anyone else who is interested! I know I said that when I was at the Victoria & Albert Museum WAY back that I'd take some pics of Victorian dresses, and I did but I am lame about uploading photos. I finally got around to it though, and since it's so late I threw in some scans I took from a book my friend lent me from the Kyoto Costume Institute.
    I'm not sure exactly what you wanted...I know you're really into civil war stuff but I wasn't 100% sure which styles made their way over there then (fashion wasn't so fast in the 1800s and I'm more familiar with European fashion of that time) so I have a bunch of stuff from the 1840's-late 1860's.

Re: Pictures for thalassa (Victorian dresses)

sweet!!

/10 char
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

I love the drop shoulders on the bodices! Thanks for posting these Danie.
      You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

The yellow one is still my fave (I think it was in the recent movie on Queen Victoria)...but for my purposes, the first one is most similar to what was fashionable as a middle/upper class woman in the (American) CW--and is acceptible in the reenactor community without getting too much crap...

...but I like the last one as a possibility for a ball gown...
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

I like the last one too and I actually think it's not too complicated. I really want to make something like it!

I'm doing a Victorian dress for Halloween. Though I'm tossing between that and more an 18th century Marie Antoinette style gown. I'll probably make both at some point, though who knows where I'll wear it. They can be like my Dirndl I'm making (unfortunately living in northern Germany doesn't present opportunities to wear such a southern garment, but I love it because my family is from there and my oma made me one when I was a kid!) I guess I'll just wear them around the house and pretend I'm a princess or something. Because I'd probably actually do that (whoever is marrying me is getting a GEM!)

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
            They can be like my Dirndl I'm making (unfortunately living in northern Germany doesn't present opportunities to wear such a southern garment, but I love it because my family is from there and my oma made me one when I was a kid!)
            I'm doing a Dirndl for Halloween Need to get hold of some Stein glasses though hehe.

I love the dresses, I love everything victorian. If i could time travel, Victorian England would be the place i go to!!
            I'm deffinatley taking a trip to the V&A museum as soon as i can get to london.

Comment

Go! It's totally awesome!

I want to make another trip there, because they were doing some work on the fashion section while I was there and they only had a smaller exhibition of some of the pieces.

Comment

These are incredibly beautiful. I would just love to wear a dress like these someday
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X