Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dreams in which you are someone else

Do you have these?

I'm wondering what this means. Sometimes I have dreams in which I'm someone completely different. And it's not like a past sort of thing either because these ones are set in modern times. Like last night I had a dream that I was a teenage girl (not me as a teen, and I think my name was Kate), and I lived in a shabby apartment with my mom and I think a sibling, and I liked this boy who lived in the apartment across from ours.

Re: Dreams in which you are someone else

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
    Do you have these?
    On rare occasions, yes. In the one I remember most clearly, I dreamed that I was a married man with a small child and my wife had joined a cult. She and the cult members were trying to abduct the child and I was begging them not to, it was very vivid and painful. I chalked it up to stress because I was adjusting to a new home and job at that time.

Funny what the brain comes up with, isn't it?
    "Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful," and sitting in the shade." - Rudyard Kipling

Mathbatu: A Canaanite Polytheist's Blog
    Sparrow Wings: A Personal Blog

Comment

A few years ago I had a continuing dream of being a man in the Army during the Vietnam war. I never could find out what my name was - either my name tag was obscured or there was something in the way, or when I'd look in the mirror I'd be shirtless, that kind of thing. Very frustrating because the dreams were so vivid, and I so rarely dream.
      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Fairly often, actually. Sometimes I'm me but just look different, and sometimes I'm not me, but rather an observer...sometimes modern, sometimes historic. A couple of really good sci fi/fantasy...
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

I find dreams like this kind of fun actually because it's sort of like being in a movie!

Comment

I often dream from an omniscient point of view. So some of the time I am not in the dream at all. I am just watching the scene play out.
            sigpic

Comment

I have dreams like mentioned above as well a lot of the time. I'm observing them as they play out, like watching T.V. in my head. But I've also had dreams where I'm a guy and once I had a really disconcerting dream where I was a Muslim girl in the middle-east. That was when I first went to campus though, and there was so much more diversity than where I'd grown up. That one upset me for a few days.
              We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
              It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
              Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
              -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Last night I was Superman and I was running away with my son (who looked like Conan the Barbarian's son. Can't spell Arnold's last name!) I was just running and running. I woke up all in a panic. Weird.
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I never really thought about it before, but I'm almost always someone else in my dream. I'd say only about 5% of the time I'm myself, and I never look like my actual self.
                  Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I often dream in foreign languages.... very weird
                    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I have some very strange dreams sometimes, but usually the one's where I'm someone else happen if I let myself get all dozy while awake, or otherwise slip into a state more like meditation. I've had some at that point that left me feeling strange in my own body for a bit after.

Had someone once try to tell me those were past lives...ehhh....I doubt it.
                      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Yes, that's what I'm told too. But, honestly, I'm not really buying the reincarnation thing... But I'm keeping my mind open.

Another possibility is this - dreams seem to work by using visual images which create the correct emotional feeling for the message they are delivering. If this is the case, then the person you seemed to be in the dream isn't as important as the emotions/feelings you experienced being that person. I'd concentrate on those, if it were my dream.
                        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I haven't thought about it from that angle before, Corbin, very interesting! I usually go at it more from the assumption that whatever form I'm taking might be a manifestation of something about myself I normally deny or suppress.
                          Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Working...
                          X