Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Westboro and Liz Taylor's Funeral

Though I'm not surprised.....

Someone really needs to quash these idiots. Isn't it time yet?
    Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Re: Westboro and Liz Taylor's Funeral

HEY ADMIN

DELETE THIS ACCOUNT

Comment

My daughter is a Baptist - she isn't crazy, and her church friends aren't either.

Westboro is something else entirely.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Well, the people in charge of Liz Taylor's estate or relatives or whoever performed a brief, private funeral yesterday. I'm pretty sure it was to pre-empt any protests that a large public shindig would have attracted.
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Apparently they don't realize that she converted to Judaism back in the 70's/80's...she's one of the chosen people.

Not too surprising that WBC doesn't know that - you can count the things they've gotten correct on the fingers of one foot...

Comment

How can they not know that? It was in Sex and the City (not that they watch that show, but what was on the show usually became common knowledge). EVERYONE knows that!

Comment

Originally posted by Roknrol View Post
              Apparently they don't realize that she converted to Judaism back in the 70's/80's...she's one of the chosen people..
              To Westboro, it doesn't matter what religion you are when you died. God hates gay people so he killed you for any possible association you may have had with gay people over your entire lifetime. He kills US soldiers because of America's tolerance towards gay people. In God's eyes, Americans are damned for all eternity and Westboro wants to make sure everyone knows it.

People like Westboro Baptist Church make me angry at myself for supporting freedom of speech and the freedom to assemble.
              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I'm actually really glad you can't picket funerals like that here and in Canada. Some critics say it violates our freedom of speech laws but I disagree. Freedom of speech DOES NOT mean freedom of action. You're free to spout all the hate you want, but you can't disturb the peace, and picketing a funeral is considered disturbing the peace as much as if you were publicly drunk (in Canada...in Germany being publicly drunk is much less offensive than picketing a funeral lol). Anyway, the point is that you can't just DO whatever you want. There are all sorts of laws that dictate what you can and can't do in public. In Canada you can't drink in public, or sunbathe nude (in most places). In Germany you'll get fined if you jaywalk. And in both places, you can't picket funerals because, it's not what's said, it's the actions that disrupt other aspects of public life.
                Last edited by DanieMarie; 25 Mar 2011, 17:36.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                  I'm actually really glad you can't picket funerals like that here and in Canada. Some critics say it violates our freedom of speech laws but I disagree. Freedom of speech DOES NOT mean freedom of action. You're free to spout all the hate you want, but you can't disturb the peace, and picketing a funeral is considered disturbing the peace as much as if you were publicly drunk (in Canada...in Germany being publicly drunk is much less offensive than picketing a funeral lol). Anyway, the point is that you can't just DO whatever you want. There are all sorts of laws that dictate what you can and can't do in public. In Canada you can't drink in public, or sunbathe nude (in most places). In Germany you'll get fined if you jaywalk. And in both places, you can't picket funerals because, it's not what's said, it's the actions that disrupt other aspects of public life.
                  It's not just Freedom of Speech but Freedom of Assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyGarnetRose View Post
                    It's not just Freedom of Speech but Freedom of Assembly.
                    I can understand that, but freedom of assembly also doesn't allow you to do whatever the hell you want. If you're disturbing the peace, you're crossing a legal line.

Comment

It makes me so angry. I saw an ep of John Saffran with the WBC on it, and the glee in the kids' eyes when they talked about how American was damned... Makes me sick to my stomach

Comment

It's funny how times change...

The first Christian emperor's (Constantine's) son (Constans) was openly gay - it's one of the reasons why the Roman legions (a bunch of pagans collected from across the empire) didn't like him, overthrew him, and eventually had him assassinated.

Give them enough time and things go full circle, I guess.
                        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                          It's funny how times change...

The first Christian emperor's (Constantine's) son (Constans) was openly gay - it's one of the reasons why the Roman legions (a bunch of pagans collected from across the empire) didn't like him, overthrew him, and eventually had him assassinated.

Give them enough time and things go full circle, I guess.
                          Well, WBC (I'm sure) would say that out of damnation comes salvation - it was required for Christianity to accept homosexuality at the time, but that has led rise to the WBC.

Kind of like how the VP of PETA is diabetic - she says that she needs to take her insulin (which is tested on animals) so that she can save other animals. It's just another form of hypocrisy...

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                            I can understand that, but freedom of assembly also doesn't allow you to do whatever the hell you want. If you're disturbing the peace, you're crossing a legal line.
                            Freedom of Assembly is the right to protest. Is it uncomfortable and hurt people's feelings? Yes. Is it offensive? Yes. Are they PEACEFULLY protesting (not throwing things at people, breaking other people's property)? Unfortunately Yes.

The problem is, no where in the Constitution does it protect me from being offended, but it does give me the right to be offensive. Which is something a lot of people just do not get.

Comment

I think freedom to protest in a public avenue and the "freedom" to protest a PRIVATE EVENT are different things. What about peoples right to grieve in peace? Should't they get some protection?

I'm glad I live here.....I think it's just a difference of values. I guess given how Americans view the world we probably have less freedom, but we feel we have more.
                              Last edited by DanieMarie; 27 Mar 2011, 20:44.

Comment

Working...
                              X