HOMEWORK HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOMEWORK HELP!!

So...since we have quite a few students floating around...this is the place to toss out any questions you might want some insight on!
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: HOMEWORK HELP!!

Well, somebody could form the research question to my master's thesis which I should have already started writing but can't frame properly..

Comment

Probably not much help, but out of curiosity, what are you writing it on?
      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

I'll be honest...I started this thread because I need help.

I need to do a book review for my History of Early Modern Europe class. It has to be a book based that takes place between 1400 and 1850 or covers a topic or individual during that time period. Optionally, we can do a movie review. Either way, it has to be factually based, though it can be a popular work, and doesn't need to be academic or a period text.

I'm trying to go with topics that I find somewhat interesting, even though this isn't my fave time period. So far, I have the following for a short list:

Galileo's Daughter A Historical Memoir of Science, Faith, and Love by Dava Sobel
        Kepler's Witch: An Astronomer's Discovery of Cosmic Order Amid Religious War, Political Intrigue, and the Heresy Trial of His Mother by James A. Cooper
        Ingenious Pursuits: Building the Scientific Revolution by Lisa Jardine

My first pick was Blood Work: A Tale of Medicine and Murder in the Scientific Revolution by Holly Tucker...but then I noticed that it won't be published until next spring...

Anyhoo...has anyone read any of these, or anything by the authors, or just have any preference of what might not put me to sleep?

ETA: This looks interesting too... Wedlock: The True Story of the Disastrous Marriage and Remarkable Divorce of Mary Eleanor Bowes, Countess of Strathmore
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=273.msg2678#msg2678 date=1287085731]
          Probably not much help, but out of curiosity, what are you writing it on?
          [/quote]

Religious minorities in the Finnish media (how surprising! ). Probably how immigrants are often defined through their religions (for example muslims) and how does that affect to things (public opinion etc.)... Maybe about visualisation of the news covering some immigrant and/or religious issues? Or how defining immigrants through religion different to our so called secular world's Christianity could work as a media ritual which rebuilds the sense of "us" and "others"...? I dunno.. This is kinda confusing especially because I'd like to do a theoretical thesis with a small empiric part rather than the normal, mostly empiric thesis with some kind of literature review.

I did my bachelor's thesis about what kind of image of wicca and it's followers they give in two Finnish newspapers, but I'm quite done with that topic so I wanted to move away from wicca.

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=273.msg2679#msg2679 date=1287085825]
            Anyhoo...has anyone read any of these, or anything by the authors, or just have any preference of what might not put me to sleep?[/quote]

I read one called In the Wake of the Plague:The Black Death and the World It Made, by Norman F. Cantor. It was really interesting because it looked at the political, social, and economic results of the plague (for example - If Prince X hadn't died of the plague, what might have been different?).

The time period might be a little early for you though. Most of the plague was late 1300's, although technically the immediate effects would have taken place in the 1400's.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Thal, haven't read any of those, but several look like I'd love them. Keep me posted on what you end up choosing!

[quote author=pihlaja link=topic=273.msg2724#msg2724 date=1287090334]
              Religious minorities in the Finnish media (how surprising! ). Probably how immigrants are often defined through their religions (for example muslims) and how does that affect to things (public opinion etc.)... Maybe about visualisation of the news covering some immigrant and/or religious issues? Or how defining immigrants through religion different to our so called secular world's Christianity could work as a media ritual which rebuilds the sense of "us" and "others"...? I dunno.. This is kinda confusing especially because I'd like to do a theoretical thesis with a small empiric part rather than the normal, mostly empiric thesis with some kind of literature review.

I did my bachelor's thesis about what kind of image of wicca and it's followers they give in two Finnish newspapers, but I'm quite done with that topic so I wanted to move away from wicca.
              [/quote]

Hmm...sounds interesting to me. If you're wanting to move away from the empiric, it might be a good plan to focus more on art like cartoons, or the symbolism tied to muslims visually in the Finnish news, rather then what is being said. How are they visually presented, and how does it differ from representation of Christian or other mainstream groups?

Comment

ARGH!!

THJOTH!!!

I NEED YOUR HELP!!!

HISTORY PAPER EMERGENCY!!!!

...srsly, I'll be in chat hoping you show up since its beer drinkers nite
                sigpic

Comment

Help?

This may be the wrong place to put this, so feel free to move

For my philosophy homework, i need to find 3 opinions of the existence of God through Evil and Suffering from either Christians or Muslims, can anyone help? I'm really confused :S

All input welcome

x
                  "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
                  - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

Re: Help?

Well to help you with one, a major tenant of Christianity is about suffering because of original sin.

Comment

Amelia, I'm a bit confused with the way you wrote it, as well.

Do you have a copy of the original wording from your teacher?

Comment

That is her exact wording, but i can try and word it better:

I need 3 opinions on whether Evil and suffering in the world proves (or dis-proves) of God

Don't know if that helps much, sorry

x
                        "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
                        - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

Well, the Christians are all going to tell you either "God has a plan" or "God tests us." It sounds like a rubbish assignment, though, because no christian or muslim will ever say God doesn't exist.
                          Be Excellent to each other - or something will Happen to you.

Comment

Hm...well, from a Mormon perspective, the evil in the world is not caused by God, but is a necessary part of His plan for us, because without dealing with trials, and learning the difference between good and evil, and becoming able to control our "natural man", we would be unable to become like him.

Comment

[quote author=Amelia-Mary link=topic=1072.msg19592#msg19592 date=1291402361]
                              This may be the wrong place to put this, so feel free to move

For my philosophy homework, i need to find 3 opinions of the existence of God through Evil and Suffering from either Christians or Muslims, can anyone help? I'm really confused :S

All input welcome

x
                              [/quote]

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X