View Poll Results: Which is more important? The specific Item or the Idea it represents?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Item

3 3.41%
  • Idea

85 96.59%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Item, or the Idea?

Apr 2011
    Religion
    Pagan

Re: The Item, or the Idea?

I believe the idea itself is far more powerful, but I am a little simplistic when it comes to these sorts of things - I do whatever works for me at the time. If I am planning it in advance, and I feel like I just have to have a certain tool, I will use it. It depends on your energy, your intent, and all sorts really. But if I had to vote, I would pick the idea.

Aug 2011
    Religion
    Pantheism
    Phrase
    If I'm wrong, please tell me. I'm not too proud to change my ideas.

I definitely think it's the idea. It's all psychology. That's why I don't think ritual robes are silly in the slightest-if they help you to get into the mood then I say they're absolutely necessary. It's all about creating the right atmosphere, believing in what you're doing. The object is just a tool.

Sep 2011

Creation of an idea to wield a tool is important. However, I can create that tool or call its essence to my hand without physically laying a finger on it. An example of this: I was discussing a Lemurian crystal that a friend had as a healing tool. I was describing the shape, the heft, the way it disturbed the air currents around my hand. It manifested right there. I could feel it. He could feel it. I was talking about my fascination with this object/item and it appeared in essence. It was the most astonishing thing I had experienced in the physical. My friend was so psyched, we started on a healing session right then on the patio of a coffee/pizza place. No one noticed us or said anything. It was a sacred space created around us by an idea to use this tool for his healing. Neat, neat, neat! So, I pose that the creation of an idea, such as breath being sacred. Exchanging breath with someone, is a mutual sharing of your soul, or can be. Without a tool in use, you can feel the energy exchanged even without intent. I believe we walk in creativity and what we will into being exists. That is why we monitor our thoughts and actions to ensure we walk in the best of intentions for ourselves and our fellow humans, plants, animals, etc. (The femme entity of Verlignus)
    Love is the centre of all things. Fear is the destroyer of beauty and lives. Anything a despot can do to a people, humanity and community can heal and undo.

"Life is too short to worry about the little things. Better to let the moms of the world do that. They are great at it." - Madelyn Alt

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan
    Phrase
    That was fun. Lets never do that again.

I would always say it's the idea because I am never any good at putting anything into words, Let alone the idea for a new item, and sometimes, aspects from the idea will get lost within the item if other ideas detract from the original idea. Now, see what I mean about not putting things into words very well?
    "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
    - Open world; Wounds closed.

Sep 2011

I think we should consider this: Ideas are the well-spring of both the evolution and refining of one's path. Any gnostic impulse can give form to thoughts, where would we be without ideas?
    Love is the centre of all things. Fear is the destroyer of beauty and lives. Anything a despot can do to a people, humanity and community can heal and undo.

"Life is too short to worry about the little things. Better to let the moms of the world do that. They are great at it." - Madelyn Alt

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan
    Phrase
    That was fun. Lets never do that again.

You can't have an item without an idea, it all has to stem from somewhere

You can have an idea without even having to think too hard about it, But making it into said item requires skill, Ideas are the only originality we have and an unlimited resource
    "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
    - Open world; Wounds closed.

Sep 2011
    Religion
    Unknown. Leaning toward Pagan

I'm very new to the whole idea, but for my own sanity, for me, it has to be the idea. Otherwise, I would have to go on quests for powerful items.

Nov 2010
    Religion
    Slavic polytheist

Well, I would have to say the item does matter. With few exceptions, I'm not sure I believe that most people are innately magical, or that we all have the ability to cast spells just by thinking of symbols and focusing on ideas. Otherwise, there wouldn't be any purpose for ritual- we could all just do it mentally. I think that power, whether it's an ancient ritual or a modern wiccan one, comes from going through the correct practice as much as having a correct mind set.
    If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Jan 2012
    Religion
    Pagan

I'd definately have to say it's the idea that matters (in most cases). A lot of the "required" items in books on Witchcraft tend to be rather difficult to come by, not to mention often overly expensive. I've never had any trouble substituting and making compromises.

I see the item as a representation of the idea, and therefore I have never held the belief that tools are absolutely neccessary in Witchcraft. I think you could successfully practice Witchcraft with nothing but yourself.

May 2012
    Religion
    Chaotic/Shamanic/Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    "At times I wonder; at times I wander; at times, both."

I prefer both, myself. Sometimes an idea is enough - and sometimes an object is enough, sustained by what it's been molded to do. But there are times when both are necessary. And I think relying only on the idea or only on the object sort of misses the complete thing. But that's just me. I like to switch things up depending on what's going on and what I want to accomplish I guess.