Living Fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Living Fire

If I do nothing else for my Slavic tradition, I am bent on learning to incorporate friction fire into my rituals. In Russia, this was called zhivoy pozhar (living fire) or Tsar Ogon (Tsar Flame), and it is probably this fire that the Rus church condemned people for praying to by the name of Svarogich. The tradition is essentially the same throughout all of eastern Europe- it's found in Bulgaria as well. I have been using a bow drill to do this, and so far I have only produced one spark. Why it worked this one time out of so many other attempts, I'll never know. It's ridiculously frustrating, but I really hope to master it one day. Does anyone have any tips, or can anyone relate it to something else they have found difficult to do for the sake of ritual?
    If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Re: Living Fire

There have been a few things from my experience. Mine revolves trying to choreograph dancing in such a limited space as well as keeping incense lit. The charcoal doesn't like to stay lit for long and most of my time is spent igniting the friggin' thing well enough.
    my etsy store
    My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
    surrounded by plush, downy things,
    ill prepared, but willing,
    to descend."

Comment

Creating fire using a shaft/platform method usually requires two people unless you've really got the knack. You have to be able to keep the shaft spinning w/enough downward force to heat the platform wood up enough to create a spark, which means as you reach the bottom of the shaft w/your hands, the second person is already spinning the shaft at the top. Cutting a notch in the platform creates a 'chimney' when placed over the tinder - that way, when you create a spark or ember, it has a greater likelihood of falling into the tinder & igniting it. I imagine you could create a flat, wide top for the shaft so you could brace it under your thigh to maintain the downwards pressure, like what's pictured in the second link, but there could be some friction in uncomfortable places :O

However, if you incorporate a 'bow' into the whole works, you create the downward force on the shaft w/one hand and the friction w/the 'bow' occurs both on the downwards passage of the bowstring and working it back up the shaft.

(For those of you with dirty minds or the inability to visualize this:
      No Bow: Make Fire Like Cro-Magnon
      With Bow: Make Fire Like Neanderthal)
      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Friction fire can also be done with flint and steel ... Sparks are a result of friction ...
        I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

I use the phrase to refer to fire produced by friction between wood. The pagan Slavs knew how to start fire with flint, but the tradition specifies that flint not be used.
          If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

Working...
          X