Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Appeal To All Michigan Pagans

Nov 2010
    Religion
    Pagan
    Phrase
    "Remember that paganism is a path of experience, not of dogma."

An Appeal To All Michigan Pagans

You may have heard that our governor, Rick Snyder, has proposed cutting public school funding for grades k-12. It is of the utmost importance that you contact Mr. Snyder and your representatives in Lansing expressing your sentiments on this proposal. At this time, I feel it is imperative that we do everything in our power to provide the best public education for our students that we can. There has to be other areas in which we can make cuts. This is not one of them. So please, take a few minutes of your time to write to your representatives in Lansing. Below, is an e-mail address to help you contact your representatives.

Governor Rick Snyder
    Rick.Snyder@michigan.gov

Find a Representative
    http://www.house.michigan.gov/find_a_rep.asp

Find a Senator
    http://www.senate.michigan.gov/fysenator/fysenator.htm
    Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Pagan/totalist?

Re: An Appeal To All Michigan Pagans

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! omg.............. i wish i lived in MI so i could give him a piece of my mind....
    "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

I'm not in Michigan so my opinion is largely a moot point but how much was spent last year on Michigan public education and what does he intend to drop it to? Past that, what specific items are being defunded? If he's cutting essential services, then great, slam the moron but check what exactly he intends to cut and why first.

Every dollar in education is one not going to another service or not in your pocket to help pay for food. I'm not willing to say education is untouchable when holding that promise may cost me usable roads, reliable emergency services, disaster relief or simpler things like the ability to put gas in my car so I can get to work. Demonstrate how every dollar he intends to cut is necessary.
    Last edited by MaskedOne; 16 Apr 2011 at 10:23.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Nov 2010
    Religion
    Pagan
    Phrase

The governor of Michigan want's to take $900 million dollars from public schools K-12 and transfer these funds to our community collages and universities here. They are already well funded money pits who have vast amounts of cash in reserve. This amounts to to a $4.3 million dollar loss for my school district alone. We are a small school district of only three elementary schools, one middle school, and one high school. We stand to lose our middle school and or having to eliminate all athletics,all non-special education transportation,all school counselors, all principals and front office staff, and all building supplies and text book purchases.
    In 1994 the taxpayers voted on Proposal A, a state funding model for schools. With this proposal,taxpayers and schools were promised adequate funding by the state in exchange for limiting the ability to levy local school operating millage's. This has not worked out as the state keeps cutting the promised funding for our schools.
    I hope this has answered some of your questions. I don't see how shorting our grade school kids of a well rounded education will help prepare the for collage.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Nov 2010
    Religion
    Pagan
    Phrase

Thanks you for stating your concern for our situation Yukanaoe, I wish you could help also. I am sincerely hoping that the other people who took the time to read this post also took the time to get involved if they live here.
    MaskedOne This governor intends to give major tax breaks to big business (He is a wealthy businessman himself) and at the same time place a heaver tax burden on our senior citizens in this state. I understand the need to get the states finances in order and under control. I myself would not mind paying a higher tax rate if the politicians would just keep their hands off it and use it for what it is intended.
    My kids are finished with our public school system (thank the powers that be) but I'm very concerned for the kids that are not.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Like I said before, if you are certain that what he's cutting is vital then by all means oppose him. My only concern is that 'Education' does not become a sacrosanct portion of the budget that can be raised but never under any circumstances lowered. You seem to know and oppose specific consequences of this plan and that is sufficient to quell any argument that I'd put forward at this time.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Nov 2010
    Religion
    Pagan
    Phrase

Thanks MaskOne. Unfortunately the trend here in Michigan over the last ten years or so has been to cut the funding for our schools. I can not speak for other school districts but ours has been doing an exaltation job of not wasting money. My wife and I are very involved with the school district and keep up with were the money is spent. But you can only do so much with what you have and their comes a time when it's just not enough to make it work well.
    I feel that a good quality education is priceless for all of our kids. That even people without children need be concerned about undermining our education system as most well educated people become an asset to our society as apposed to a burden.

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Keep your eyes on what happens in Michigan next year - if the government gets away with it, it will be happening all across the US.

Right now, it looks like there will be schools closing their doors, and free education for a lot of people - particularly in low income areas - will be a thing of the past. What schools do try to make a go of it are looking at class sizes of 45 -50 students.

Start saving your money, if you have, or intend to have, kids.

This is no joke... it's really bad.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    What schools do try to make a go of it are looking at class sizes of 45 -50 students.
    I haven't looked into it, because its been crazy busy here, but the hubby mentioned that this is what Norfolk is having to do, since they are closing schools due to lack of funding...
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Nov 2010
    Religion
    Pagan
    Phrase

Look at what is about to happen in the city of Detroit. Their getting ready to shut down a bunch of schools and lay off many teachers. They are getting ready also to close most of the city's public libraries. Yet at this time the politicians in Lansing want to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a second bridge from Detroit to Windsor.
    Big business is taking over politics and the only thing the politicians want to do is "Privatize" all our services.
    Soon are state will be run by the Walmart corporation.

Corbin I was hoping you'd jump in on this topic.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Monk; 19 Apr 2011 at 04:23.