An Appeal To All Michigan Pagans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An Appeal To All Michigan Pagans

You may have heard that our governor, Rick Snyder, has proposed cutting public school funding for grades k-12. It is of the utmost importance that you contact Mr. Snyder and your representatives in Lansing expressing your sentiments on this proposal. At this time, I feel it is imperative that we do everything in our power to provide the best public education for our students that we can. There has to be other areas in which we can make cuts. This is not one of them. So please, take a few minutes of your time to write to your representatives in Lansing. Below, is an e-mail address to help you contact your representatives.

Governor Rick Snyder
    Rick.Snyder@michigan.gov

Find a Representative

Find a Senator
    Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Re: An Appeal To All Michigan Pagans

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! omg.............. i wish i lived in MI so i could give him a piece of my mind....
    "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Comment

I'm not in Michigan so my opinion is largely a moot point but how much was spent last year on Michigan public education and what does he intend to drop it to? Past that, what specific items are being defunded? If he's cutting essential services, then great, slam the moron but check what exactly he intends to cut and why first.

Every dollar in education is one not going to another service or not in your pocket to help pay for food. I'm not willing to say education is untouchable when holding that promise may cost me usable roads, reliable emergency services, disaster relief or simpler things like the ability to put gas in my car so I can get to work. Demonstrate how every dollar he intends to cut is necessary.
      Last edited by MaskedOne; 16 Apr 2011, 10:23.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

The governor of Michigan want's to take $900 million dollars from public schools K-12 and transfer these funds to our community collages and universities here. They are already well funded money pits who have vast amounts of cash in reserve. This amounts to to a $4.3 million dollar loss for my school district alone. We are a small school district of only three elementary schools, one middle school, and one high school. We stand to lose our middle school and or having to eliminate all athletics,all non-special education transportation,all school counselors, all principals and front office staff, and all building supplies and text book purchases.
        In 1994 the taxpayers voted on Proposal A, a state funding model for schools. With this proposal,taxpayers and schools were promised adequate funding by the state in exchange for limiting the ability to levy local school operating millage's. This has not worked out as the state keeps cutting the promised funding for our schools.
        I hope this has answered some of your questions. I don't see how shorting our grade school kids of a well rounded education will help prepare the for collage.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

Thanks you for stating your concern for our situation Yukanaoe, I wish you could help also. I am sincerely hoping that the other people who took the time to read this post also took the time to get involved if they live here.
          MaskedOne This governor intends to give major tax breaks to big business (He is a wealthy businessman himself) and at the same time place a heaver tax burden on our senior citizens in this state. I understand the need to get the states finances in order and under control. I myself would not mind paying a higher tax rate if the politicians would just keep their hands off it and use it for what it is intended.
          My kids are finished with our public school system (thank the powers that be) but I'm very concerned for the kids that are not.

Comment

Like I said before, if you are certain that what he's cutting is vital then by all means oppose him. My only concern is that 'Education' does not become a sacrosanct portion of the budget that can be raised but never under any circumstances lowered. You seem to know and oppose specific consequences of this plan and that is sufficient to quell any argument that I'd put forward at this time.
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Thanks MaskOne. Unfortunately the trend here in Michigan over the last ten years or so has been to cut the funding for our schools. I can not speak for other school districts but ours has been doing an exaltation job of not wasting money. My wife and I are very involved with the school district and keep up with were the money is spent. But you can only do so much with what you have and their comes a time when it's just not enough to make it work well.
              I feel that a good quality education is priceless for all of our kids. That even people without children need be concerned about undermining our education system as most well educated people become an asset to our society as apposed to a burden.

Comment

Keep your eyes on what happens in Michigan next year - if the government gets away with it, it will be happening all across the US.

Right now, it looks like there will be schools closing their doors, and free education for a lot of people - particularly in low income areas - will be a thing of the past. What schools do try to make a go of it are looking at class sizes of 45 -50 students.

Start saving your money, if you have, or intend to have, kids.

This is no joke... it's really bad.
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                  What schools do try to make a go of it are looking at class sizes of 45 -50 students.
                  I haven't looked into it, because its been crazy busy here, but the hubby mentioned that this is what Norfolk is having to do, since they are closing schools due to lack of funding...
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Look at what is about to happen in the city of Detroit. Their getting ready to shut down a bunch of schools and lay off many teachers. They are getting ready also to close most of the city's public libraries. Yet at this time the politicians in Lansing want to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a second bridge from Detroit to Windsor.
                    Big business is taking over politics and the only thing the politicians want to do is "Privatize" all our services.
                    Soon are state will be run by the Walmart corporation.

Corbin I was hoping you'd jump in on this topic.
                    Thanks!
                    Last edited by Monk; 19 Apr 2011, 04:23.

Comment

Yeh...

Education is being privatized - that's the plan. It's been on the agenda for at least 20 years that I know of, and has been gradually getting worked in. The goal is to gut out public schools until they collapse, then replace them with privately run schools. These schools will taked vouchers, PLUS a chunk of your paycheck. The better ones will take a big chunk, the worse ones a smaller chunk, but they'll all make you pay.

Once the privatization is complete and people are used to paying for it, you can expect the costs to go up, the way they have at colleges.

And he real kicker is this - YOU won't be saving any money. All the money that you are currently paying (through taxes) for education isn't going to be refunded to you (the vouchers issued by he government will become increasingly worthless as private education costs go up) - it will be spent on other things, leaving you holding the bill for your kid's primary education. Tack on 20-40 thousand dollars to what your kid will already be paying for a college degree...

I'm not a big one for predicting gloom and doom scenerios, but public education is going the way of the dodo.
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Michigan's governor is a nutcase. Just look up what he did to Benton Harbor's local government this week. He got a bill passed recently so that he can essentially have a plutocracy. He has the power to take over the positions of any locally elected officials and appoint his own choice to their seat. Democratic strongholds will see their leaders being replaced by non-elected Republicans.

As for education in Michigan, it's been going downhill since I can remember. They instituted the voucher system years ago, which succeeded in closing down many schools across the state, including one that my aunt worked at. She then had to decide whether she wanted to commute 2 hours to work everyday or get certified to teach in Indiana and essentially start her teaching career over. She chose to restart as an Indiana teacher. This is just another step toward ruining primary education in Michigan, which seems to be the goal of Republican policy in the state.

Comment

I've seen this trend before, somewhere.

Lose all the government funded [public] schools in favor of strictly limited businesses [private schools], funded only by the major players in social manipulation... where the hell was that??

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

One of the big problems as I see it is that we have become a society of people that are so complaisant that our mantra has become "It is what it is" and seldom do we make any attempt to fight the system. Unfortunately the politicians/corporations have keyed in on this and like wolfs are moving in for the kill. It will be our children who pay the price if we stand by and do nothing. For in the end only the people who have big money will be well educated and for the rest of us the clock will be turned back to the days of the feudal lords and we shall become their serfs once more.
                            I know this sounds mellow dramatic but what's a kid with out a good education going to do besides say"Do you want fry's with that" for minimum wage for the rest of their life's.
                            Last edited by Monk; 19 Apr 2011, 19:00.

Comment

People tend to not pay a whole lot of attention to what's going on in education unless they have children in school. Unfortunately, that means that a lot of people who don't have kids yet, or whose kids have already graduated from high school don't pay attention. That's how this stuff gets slid through - it's only an important issue for a minority at any given time, and the plan to gut public education is being developed & implimented slowly, over the course of thirty years.

People who are interested in conspiracy theories need to stop worrying about aliens, the Masons, or who shot Kennedy, and start worrying about kids & their education. There's a REAL, honest to God, conspiracy going on there...

My kids have graduated (almost). If anybody wants to fight this, I'm with you. But it's not my future - it's yours, and any kids you might have somewhere down the road. If you won't fight it, I won't do it for you. The future is in your hands.

Choose well.

Comment

Working...
                              X