The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

So... where'd spring go?

Here in Northern Michigan, we expect the weather to be dramatic, but this was a bit much even for us.

On Tuesday night, we got 11 inches of snow dumped on us in about 4 hours. Needless to say, school got canceled.

The power was out from 2am until 10pm.

It's nice that I was able to take a shower this morning....
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Oct 2010

Re: So... where'd spring go?

we went from our winter in florida of a low of 50 degrees to the following week having a high in the 90's. I'd trade our early summer for your late winter any day... yeah the no power sucks... but no power here (like when we have a hurricane) gets hot really quick. and remember you can only put more clothes on. You only have so many to take off.
    "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

It's 25 Celsius here today (75-80 F?), has been all week. Our spring went into the rainy kind of spring a few weeks ago but now it's back to the sunny (good) kind.

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Be careful what you wish for, Dufonce - ice and snow get old very quick, but I also prefer cold to hot. You can always do something to get wamer, but getting cooler can be problematic.

We're supposed to go up to the 60's next week, DanieMarie. Hopefully, the snow is done, but that's never a safe bet around here...
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Cold weather at the end of April is somehow worse than even colder weather in the middle of January.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Militant Atheist. The Satanic Temple.

Corbin, that's CRAP.

Here in northern IL we are having our first rain-free day in a while. And there's someone else doing my work. I wish he'd go home.
    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Oct 2009
    Religion
    Witchy Pagan

it sucks here in Canada too. We had black ice all over the roads this morning and there were dozens of accidents including one school bus that flipped into a ditch.
    It feels more like late November than April. Last year at this time we were worried that the tulips would all be done before the tulip festival happened, this year; what tulips?
    What you see depends on what you are looking for.

One with the Force ChainLightning's Avatar
    Nov 2005
    Religion
    Polytheist with Pan-/Panen- tendencies.
    Phrase
    In the darkest recesses of your twisted mind, a G-rated version of me resides.

Same story but much less snow, in Iowa. They got quite a bit (8-10 inches, maybe?) dumped on them up in Minnesnowta, that we were fortunate enough to miss, on our visit up there. But here? We woke up, the other day, to about 2 inches of the white stuff. This, after a couple fun weeks of temps hovering up around the 70's (around 20 C), thunderstorms and tornado chasing... we get a reminder that winter can and will visit anytime she wants.

Pfft! I'm ready for it to be over. We're already at our high for the day 46 °F (8 °C)!

Flowers have started to come up, trees have budded out, song birds have returned; it's SPRING! It needs to act like it, now.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

no snow down in So IL....but darn cold...seriously, WTF--its like 70s>30s>80s>40s>70s>30s>60s>30s>70s...
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2004
    Religion
    olde pharte

We have 2 seasons, raining and getting read to rain again ...
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."