So... where'd spring go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So... where'd spring go?

Here in Northern Michigan, we expect the weather to be dramatic, but this was a bit much even for us.

On Tuesday night, we got 11 inches of snow dumped on us in about 4 hours. Needless to say, school got canceled.

The power was out from 2am until 10pm.

It's nice that I was able to take a shower this morning....
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: So... where'd spring go?

we went from our winter in florida of a low of 50 degrees to the following week having a high in the 90's. I'd trade our early summer for your late winter any day... yeah the no power sucks... but no power here (like when we have a hurricane) gets hot really quick. and remember you can only put more clothes on. You only have so many to take off.
    "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

It's 25 Celsius here today (75-80 F?), has been all week. Our spring went into the rainy kind of spring a few weeks ago but now it's back to the sunny (good) kind.

Comment

Be careful what you wish for, Dufonce - ice and snow get old very quick, but I also prefer cold to hot. You can always do something to get wamer, but getting cooler can be problematic.

We're supposed to go up to the 60's next week, DanieMarie. Hopefully, the snow is done, but that's never a safe bet around here...
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Cold weather at the end of April is somehow worse than even colder weather in the middle of January.

Comment

Corbin, that's CRAP.

Here in northern IL we are having our first rain-free day in a while. And there's someone else doing my work. I wish he'd go home.
            No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

it sucks here in Canada too. We had black ice all over the roads this morning and there were dozens of accidents including one school bus that flipped into a ditch.
              It feels more like late November than April. Last year at this time we were worried that the tulips would all be done before the tulip festival happened, this year; what tulips?
              What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

no snow down in So IL....but darn cold...seriously, WTF--its like 70s>30s>80s>40s>70s>30s>60s>30s>70s...
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

We have 2 seasons, raining and getting read to rain again ...
                    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Tuesday, it was over 80 degrees and then a heavy t-storm blew through which caused the temp. to drop almost 30 degrees within an hour. The Ozarks weather is constantly changing. I walk a couple of miles a day for exercise and even within my neighborhood, it can be different in different sections. Right now it's raining pretty hard. Of course it is - I watered the outdoor plants earlier today LOL
                      sigpic
                      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Dufonce View Post
                        and remember you can only put more clothes on. You only have so many to take off.
                        People always say this, and it should make sense, but I can never get totally warm when it's cold out. I do fine in high 90s, but anything under 40 and I'm just uncomfortable so much of the time. Haha, so why I wanted to move back to New England because I missed winter, I will never understand.

As for spring? Well, we left NH to visit CO... when we left a week ago the first signs of true spring were finally showing up. A few flowers coming up, little buds on some trees - then we get to CO and there's flowers and leaves everywhere already. Was kinda like a weird time warp!
                        Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Originally posted by Gardenia View Post
                          People always say this, and it should make sense, but I can never get totally warm when it's cold out. I do fine in high 90s, but anything under 40 and I'm just uncomfortable so much of the time.
                          Same. It just gets under my skin. And somehow, 5 degrees in spring after it's been warm is a bit worse than -5 in winter (but nothing is as bad as -20!) Maybe because it's damper out here in spring and our winters are really dry? Damp cold is especially bad for being resistant to sweaters and jackets! My body hates cold as well. I'm forever getting sick in the winter and I'm always really depressed. It's kind of like it just wants to reject the months of October, November, December, January and February.

It can be 38 degrees here though, and I'm happy in a cotton dress with a bottle of water.

(all temperatures in celsius)

Comment

I'll take my Florida high in the 90s (F) over cold and snow any day.

Comment

So we all have a problem with nature having a since of humor? Soon we will be complaining it's to hot, to dry, to wet, and to stormy?
                              We can deal with it.
                              Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

Working...
                              X