Magister Crow's Museum of the Ultra-Mundane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magister Crow's Museum of the Ultra-Mundane

I've opened up a second shop on Etsy (Magister Crow's Museum of the Ultra-Mundane) to sell the various things that I make or run across which don't really fit into my other Etsy shop - Splendid Fish Studio (http://www.splendidfish.etsy.com).

Currently, I have mostly nice vintage prints and a few bits for jewelry makers, and some oddball thingys like springbok horns and stingray skins (I got a good deal on the skins - the only other people I've seen selling them are asking nearly twice as much!).

As I build up the shop, I'll be adding some more of the weird things I run into like fungi and feathers, and wild herbs. I also have plans to make various instruments for those of you who are interested in natural science, herb work, and/or Alchemy- things that you can't get anywhere else. I've got a lot of stuff on the drawing board, but that's in the future...

Anyway, check out what I've got now and let me know what you think - http://www.magistercrow.etsy.com

By the way - if I don't have it, ask. I'll either find it or make it for you!
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Magister Crow's Museum of the Ultra-Mundane

Life is a funny thing - one day you're going about your normal, every day, mundane life. Then, you go to bed and when you wake up, you discover you are in the business of selling body parts.

If you think this sounds to unbelievable to be true, well, I can only say that you need to get out more. Strange things happen every day, and this has actually happened to me.

I have two shops on etsy - my jewelry shop is: http://www.splendidfish.etsy.com. In searching around for interesting things to incorporate in my jewelry making, I've run across a lot of interesting things. Some of those things I've begun to sell in my other shop, Magister Crow's Museum of the Ultra-Mundane (http://www.magistercrow.etsy.com).

I've just gotten a HUGE load of bones, teeth, claws, tusks, horn, and assorted oddities which I am in the process of listing.

These things would be great for shamanic use, ritual use, making jewelry, as altar embellishments. spell casting, and all kinds of crafty uses.

Here are a few pictures of some stuff, just to wet your appetite - check in over the next few days as I get more bits and pieces listed - you will be amazed at what I have to show you!

coyote skull

Warthog Tusk

Fox Teeth

I even have Wild Turkey Feet!

If you see something you like, use this coupon code when you order to get 10% off: PFMAGCROW
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Well, I just listed a bunch of new horns. I've got these little Female Springbok horns - these were real hot sellers at The Midwest Witches' Ball. I'm lucky that I was able to get more in:

And these larger Male Springbok horns are really hard to keep in stock. People like to use them to make handles for magic wands:

For those of you who might like to make a Viking-style drinking horn, I have these water buffalo horns. They are much heavier than steer horns, but the colors are fantastic and they are good if you want to carve a design into the horn:

But if you want the real deal, here are some very, very nice Steer/Cow/Cattle horns. I've had a heck of a time finding these at a good price, but the ones I've found are really excellent. They'd make very nice drinking horns, but they'd also be perfect for making powder horns, for those of you who like black powder shooting:

I also have two huge steer horns (almost three feet long) that would be a beer glass for a hero.

And, of course, I have other oddities...

If you need it, and you can't find it, I probably can - Magister Crow's Museum of the Ultra-Mundane

http://www.magistercrow.etsy.com

Comment

Corbin, what is the diameter of those female springhorn horns? How far down are they hollow and how heavy are they? Do you think they could be turned into something like this?
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
          Corbin, what is the diameter of those female springhorn horns? How far down are they hollow and how heavy are they? Do you think they could be turned into something like this?
          The female springbok horns that I have right now are about 8-9 inches long, and the opening at the end is roughly 2.5 inches in diameter - I checked, and this makes them about the same as the handle on a kitchen spatula. If you were going to make the crochet hooks, you'd probably want to cut them down a bit, and this will also reduce the diameter at the end.

They're quite light, but I'm thinking that you'd want to fill the inside with something to hold the hook in place. I'd suggest epoxy putty. That will add weight to the thing, though. They do seem to be hollow pretty much to the end.

I think that maybe the biggest problem would be that the horns twist in odd ways, so you'd want to make sure that the hooks are in there in such a way that the odd twists feel comfortable in your hand when you are using them.

If you can work out the bugs, they'd make great handles. When these things are polished up (sand paper and steel wool) they really, really feel nice in the hand. There's nothing like the feel of organic materials! And they will be very pretty too.

The set I pictured has one horn that might not work out well because it's got a fat end. I do have another set of two which might work better. I will be able to get more at some point in the future, also, possibly in smaller sizes.

Comment

Ohh....my gosh.

How the heck did I miss this?!

Corbin, I'm in no rush, because I can't buy anything again until late March or so, but I'm trying to find two rather unusual items, maybe you can help me:

A hare skin--the one's I keep finding online are domesticated bunnies, so they aren't that kind of muddy dappled look, and the one occasion I found some hare skins, they were in really poor condition from an unknown source. They didn't look strong enough to cut and sew.

Small feathers that can reasonably imitate a Eurasian Sparrowhawk. I'm trying to find enough small feathers to cover a 12x12" doll's cloak, gray on one side, dappled/striped on the other.

I know...specific much?
            Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Hey Corbin, what's the capacity on those water buffalo horns? As in, if I wanted to drink myself silly fill it with a liquid, are we talking something like a British pint? Larger perhaps?
              "Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others."
              -Thomas Jefferson

Let a man never stir on his road a step
              without his weapons of war;
              for unsure is the knowing when the need shall arise
              of a spear on the way without.
              -

Comment

Dez, I think I can help you with the hair skins - I have a couple of people who trap, but I'm not sure if they tan the skins. I'll have to check and get back to you on that. For the feathers, your best bet is to find a source for feathers for fly tying. I'll check around and maybe ask Monk for sources, and let you know what I find (currently, my internet isn't working so well).

Thjoth, I've been busily filling horns with water and dumping them into glasses... Here's what I've found...

The water buffalo horn I've pictured, and the steer horn I've pictured (which are about average) will each hold about 1/2 British beer pints. Just so you know - the water buffalo horns are considerably heavier than the steer horns, which means more elbow exercise and fatigue while drinking. The plus side, though, is that when things get rough at the feast, they make great head bashers.

If you want a cup fit for a great ring giver, try one of these (my lovely daughter is modeling):

Each one of these will hold about 2.5 British beer pints. But they get really, really heavey when filled! You'll want to work on your guzzeling skills.

Hmm... I'm wondering if anybody would be interested in a drinking horn making tutorial? These horns, which are scraped on both the inside and outside really require little else but final cleaning/sterilizing and seasoning...

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                  Dez, I think I can help you with the hair skins - I have a couple of people who trap, but I'm not sure if they tan the skins. I'll have to check and get back to you on that. For the feathers, your best bet is to find a source for feathers for fly tying. I'll check around and maybe ask Monk for sources, and let you know what I find (currently, my internet isn't working so well).
                  That's a source I hadn't even thought of, thanks! All the ones for crafts are either weird colored, or big feathers like pinions and peacock feathers.

If you have a source that tans, that would be great news. Thank you for checking

Are drinking horns really that simple? I'd assumed it would be complicated, so never considered it. The ones you can find online are expensive, too.
                  Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

I actually just started a tutorial on how to make one. To do a basic one, it's so easy it barely qualifies as a project - essentially, you just clean it out.

But you can fancy it up a lot too, everything from a simple leather hanging strap, to painted designs, to scrimshaw (horn is very easy to scrim), to carving, to metal rims and ornaments.

Comment

I never knew you had a daughter, Corbin! I'll probably buy a horn or two off of you sometime soon. As far as a drinking horn tutorial goes, I really don't know how they're treated, so that would be really cool.

By the way, is there some kind of product you can use to ink the designs more easily onto the horns? Like a paper that you can easily draw the designs on and then transfer it onto the rounded horn? Or am I pretty much stuck free-handing it?
                      "Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others."
                      -Thomas Jefferson

Let a man never stir on his road a step
                      without his weapons of war;
                      for unsure is the knowing when the need shall arise
                      of a spear on the way without.
                      -

Comment

Yeah, I actually have two daughters - that one is the older one.

I have the first part of the tutorial written, but I'm having trouble posting it until the weather clears. I'll try again tonight...

You can use a pencil and write right on the horn, or you could use carbon or graphite paper (make graphite paper by covering a sheet of paper with heavy pencil shading, then use like carbon paper). I'd go over the lines with a sharpie so they don't rub off. The lines can be ribbed off with fine (0000) steel wool.

Comment

I started the drinking horn tutorial -

http://www.paganforum.com/showthread...-Drinking-Horn

It's going to be an ongoing project. I'm going to explain the basics right away, and work on decoration later.

Comment

Working...
                          X