Dreaming about Suicide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dreaming about Suicide

what does it mean if you dream about ALMOST commiting suicide? I get to the top of a bridge and step over the bar and stand there. something or someone always stops me. but i've had that dream at least twice within the last week
    "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Re: Dreaming about Suicide

I suppose it depends on whether you've actually been feeling suicidal. If you haven't then I wouldn't worry too much, a lot of the time dreams have a totally different real meaning to their surface meaning. I have no idea what that actual meaning could be though... :3
    "The Germans do not think it in keeping with the divine majesty to confine gods within walls or to portray them in the likeness of any human countenance. Their holy places are woods and groves, and they apply the names of deities to that hidden presence which is seen only by the eye of reverence." (Tacitus, `Germania', 9)

Comment

For me, those types of dreams indicate to me that I'm doing something to myself that I normally feel is ending a cycle. I rarely, if ever, have interpreted it as an actual suicide intention. Most of what appears in our dreams are symbolic anyway.

If they were meant to be literal my dreams would be saying some very interesting things about me
      my etsy store
      My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
      surrounded by plush, downy things,
      ill prepared, but willing,
      to descend."

Comment

I'm much more literal, myself. Trying to tame that urge, I'd think that Caelia and Ravenix are probably much closer to the truth (and honestly, where Caelia said "symbolic"? I would add "simplified".)

But in my own twisted mind? I'd be analyzing those things that are stressing me out... which of them are driving me off the bridge, so to speak. But then, I've attempted suicide, in the past. And thought about it often, at different times of my life, so maybe that's why I'd be concerned about stresses pushing me off a high bridge. And then trying to manage that stress in a much more healthy manner. So... not only am I too literal but I also complicate things, analyze the heck out of them and try to balance that all out with a simple mantra: it won't matter, in the end. Yeah... prolly don't want advice on suicide dreams from me, eh?

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Well, if it's not literal, think symbolically. What might suicide symbolize for you (it's got to be personally determined, since symbols convey different information to different people)?

For example, since people tend to commit suicide to get out of a bad situation, to dream of committing suicide may mean that you are sensing that you need desperately to get out of something in your life situatiuon.

Or - sometimes people commit suicide because they can't have something they want (like a love relationship) - in that case, it would symbolize something different.

- to figure out what it means in your dream, you need to figure out what the suicide represents - to you.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Yeah I agree with the post above me. It could also mean that you have a desire to start over or start something radically new, but like Corbin said, that only has significance if that fits in with your situation.

Comment

For me that's usually a time of "skin-shedding", out-with-something-old, in-with-the-new. But like everybody else said, it's different for everyone.
              sigpic
              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Working...
              X