Tarot Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tarot Question...

This may seem dumb but I am just starting out. When it come to Tarot Cards, what is considered "reversed" and/or "blocked?" I have looked these things up several times but nothing explains what they are, just their meanings. I assume "reversed" means it is upsidedown, but I am not sure on that.

Re: Tarot Question...

'Reversed' or 'contrary' means the cards show up in the spread upside-down. Some people use different interpretations for reversed cards than for upright, some people read them as being the opposite of what they mean right-side up, and some people don't use the 'reversed' interpretations at all.

Of course, your perspective in the reading is going to determine if the cards are right-side up or upside down. Some people read the cards with the cards oriented towards the querent... due to some spatial/visual trouble, I always read cards facing myself.

Honestly, when you read the Tarot or oracle cards (or use any divinatory means), the books & guides are just things to get you started. When you begin working with your tool of choice, you'll develop your own interpretations, and you'll decide if you want to bother with reversals or whatever. I prefer using reversals because it gives the reading a little more depth than just treating the cards as if they're all right-side up all the time.

I haven't heard the term 'blocked' card before, so I can't help you there
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Re: Tarot Question...

I think what the OP means by blocked is that some tarot books and instructions talk about how when a card is reversed in a reading it represents that the thing represented by the card is blocked in some way and not necessarily the complete inverse of the meaning. So an inverted Empress (read: "Blocked") could mean that a feminine voice or a fertile moment is being hindered instead of the simple inverse reading that it means blatant infertility. Another example could be a "blocked" two of cups meaning a loving relationship is being stifled and not necessarily a blatant "you're ending a relationship."

Comment

Working...
      X