Herbs for Children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Herbs for Children

(I found my herbal thread cached on Yahoo!)

Herbal Remedies for Babies

Teething Rub
    1 ounce pure vegetable glycerin
    1-2 drops essential oil of clove

Add one drop of oil to glycerin and shake well. Test on self BEFORE using on baby. If needed, add 2nd drop and repeat.

Baby Wipes

1 c distilled water
    1/4 c aloe vera gel
    1 TBS baby shampoo
    1 TBS calendula oil
    5 drop lavender essential
    5 drop tea tree essential oil

mix in spray bottle to clean the baby's butt and wipe with flannel or other sof cloth (old recieving blankets work great, cut into squares)

Herbal Insect Repellent

2 parts catnip leaves
    1 part peppermint leaves
    1 part rosemary, cut into 6-inch sprigs
    enough carrier oil to cover the herbs......I recommend at least 1/2 c of grapeseed oil as grapeseed oil is high in vitamin E, which acts as a preservative

Lightly crush (fresh) herbs and place in clean glass jar. Infuse. Strain and store.

*note: According to a study at Iowa State University Department of Entomology, one of the oils found in catnip is 10 times more effective at repelling mosquitoes than potent chemicals such as DEET.
    *if you are a cat owner, I'm not sure this is a good idea... :P

Baby Butt Salve

To make the oil:
    1 part c lavender flowers
    1 part c calendula petals
    1 part c chamomile flowers
    carrier oil...for this I generally use a mix of grapeseed, sweet almond and EVOO

Infuse oils. Strain.

To make the salve:
    Beeswax and cocoa butter at a 3:2 ratio
    (guideline: 1 pint of oil generally needs about 1 1/2 oz beeswax, to verify desired consistence, pour a little bit to cool and test)

Melt beeswax and cocoa butter. Stir and add oil to desired consistency. Pour into containers and cool.

Calming Massage Oil

1 part lavender flowers
    1/2 part lemon balm
    1/2 part clary sage

Infuse and strain. Use for infant massage (http://www.bygpub.com/natural/massage.htm
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Herbs for Children

Some of these also seem good for those of us that have sensitive skin!

Comment

Working...
    X