Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This needs to be a sticky in the Debate section...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This needs to be a sticky in the Debate section...

Re: This needs to be a sticky in the Debate section...

OMG's!! ROFLMAO!

That's fuckin classic! Thanks Rok!

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

"Can you envision anything that will change your mind on this topic?"

That cuts out more than 50% of the discussions right away... Might just as well close the debate section...
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

But no one is actually that rational all the time. No one. It's an ideal that doesn't actually exist because people aren't nearly as rational as they like to think they are.

Comment

It's a skill. It has to be learned and practiced.

Nobody is as good at dribbling a basketball the first time as they'd like to imagine they are either... And even people who practice it constantly make mistakes, sometimes.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
            "Can you envision anything that will change your mind on this topic?"

That cuts out more than 50% of the discussions right away... Might just as well close the debate section...
            pretty much...that was my initial thought. Just because I can't envision something changing my mind, doesn't mean I don't want to see what other people have to say about it.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              pretty much...that was my initial thought. Just because I can't envision something changing my mind, doesn't mean I don't want to see what other people have to say about it.
              Yeah exactly. I might also be pretty firm in some of my opinions, but it doesn't mean that I'm not interested to see what others have to say about it, and it doesn't mean that I think they're 100% wrong either. We have so many people from so many countries here and what one person thinks will work for their country won't work for another. Like look at the issue of gun control. I'm pretty firm that I don't think having laxer laws in MY OWN country is a good idea, but it's interesting to see what Americans think about the topic because their laws on that subject are so different. It's also interesting to see why many feel the way they do about things that happen in their countries, even if that doesn't necessarily make sense to someone foreign.

If you watch what goes on in the UN, it's not always rational either. You can "practice" it but reality is that different cultures (even ones that are outwardly very similar like English speaking countries are) will hold very different values and will hold them very close, and they're not likely to change a lot of the time. It doesn't mean we can't discuss our differences though, even though we may fundamentally disagree with the person from the other culture.

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

As for the idea that rationality can be practiced, sure. And you can get better at it. But I'm a firm believer in bounded rationality. Meaning, we can be rational a lot of the time but that rationality is always going to have limits and can falter, even for the best of us. It's a very common concept in business administration theory but I think it applies to everything.

Comment

You guys DO understand that that picture is a joke, right? That's why the OP put it in the LOL's section.

If you get all technical and analytical about a simple JOKE? Perhaps debating isn't going to be your cup of tea, either.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

^ Bazinnnnggggg!
                  The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                    [/COLOR]As for the idea that rationality can be practiced, sure. And you can get better at it. But I'm a firm believer in bounded rationality. Meaning, we can be rational a lot of the time but that rationality is always going to have limits and can falter, even for the best of us. It's a very common concept in business administration theory but I think it applies to everything.
                    This sounds like you're saying, "Rationality works for some things, but I won't use it for things it doesn't work for." Problem with that is that if people don't practice their rationality, their ability to practice it suffers. People who spend an inordinate amount of time saying that they don't have "time" or "energy" or "inclination" to think and reason, are doing themselves a disservice by 1) Allowing those reasoning skills to remain weak and 2) Discard reason (which takes effort) for guesswork (which does not). So those people that don't practice, WON'T practice. If it's "too hard", well, they'll just turn it into a matter of opinion and declare they've won.

The word used in the graphic is "Discussion", which implies a much 'heavier' topic or conversation than just "hearing what other people have to say". It implies a conversation wherein someone is going to get their feelings hurt if they don't understand what logic/reason *are*. That's also why I suggested putting it in the Debate section, where it would more be more appropriately applied.

Of course, like Chain said, it's a fucking joke.

Comment

I don't have a sense of humor It died somewhere around 2007.....So sorry...sometimes I just take stuff way too flatly because I forget that sometimes things are funny.

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

(and I'm really sorry...I didn't realize before that this was in the LOL section....I thought it was in the Rants section. I'd just clicked on it as a recent post and didn't see where it was until just now. Normally I pay more attention but I'm kind of burnt out at the moment......)

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
                        You guys DO understand that that picture is a joke, right? That's why the OP put it in the LOL's section.

If you get all technical and analytical about a simple JOKE? Perhaps debating isn't going to be your cup of tea, either.
                        I though we were having a discussion...
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                          At the risk of getting yelled at in the comedy section, let me just say this -

Most people probably never really think about it like this, but when one is most certain that a thing is true, one is also most certain what evidence it would take to prove one wrong.

For example: I am about as positive as I can be that, despite the magnificent feats of engineering they represent, the pyramids were not created by ancient visitors from another planet. I am positive about this because I know what evidence it would take to prove that I MIGHT be wrong - all I'd need to see would be one technological anomaly coming out of an appropriately dated archeological dig (like, say, a chunk of chromium steel, or maybe an aluminum alloy, or a battery that wasn't made out of clay pottery...)

It's the stuff that I'm not certain about that I'm also uncertain what evidence would prove me wrong - for instance: Is there a really real God out there? I don't know - if a giant hand came out of the sky, handed me a "get out of hell free" card, and was accompanied by a booming voice saying "Behold, I am the Lord thy God!" I doubt if I would be convinced... I know of too many ways to be crazy...

This is why one of the requirements for a scientific hypoteses is that it be "falsifiable" - capable of being proven wrong.

We now return control of the funny section to the funny people. Thank you for your patience.

Comment

Fuck it. We're apparently not supposed to just laugh at jokes. Argue and debate the damn thing's accuracy and meaning all you want. I'm done with fuckin' thing!

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
                              Fuck it. We're apparently not supposed to just laugh at jokes. Argue and debate the damn thing's accuracy and meaning all you want. I'm done with fuckin' thing!
                              Relax, dude

Comment

Working...
                              X