Whoever said the English can't cook....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whoever said the English can't cook....

...didn't really know enough about English recipes!

Fish and Chips, sticky toffee pudding, trifle, pies.....

Post recipes!

I want to change the name of this thread to British....living in Germany has made me so un "PC". They use "Englader" a lot and it's clearly rubbed off. Can someone change it?

Re: Whoever said the English can't cook....

I adore English (is that PC? Or should I say UK) food. Actually I enjoy most foods of Britan and the surrounding regions!

Comment

British is more used I think (at least amongst my friends) but English is ok for people from England....but some of the stuff I'm referring to is UK-wide I think (though I've only been to London so I don't -really- know).

Comment

And within British there are strong regional variations.... so in Wales we have faggots and mushy peas (which is also a dish shared with the North of england.... faggots FYI are a type of meatball made with belly pork, liver, sage, onions and breadcrumbs ) best served covered with the 'apron' (fat fromthe stomach) and mushy peas (which are dried peas then cooked to a mush). We also have cawl, a type of thick soup. We have Welsh Rarebit (nothing to do with rabbits, but a variation on cheese on toast). And Welsh lamb of course, is second to none!
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

You can say English, if you mean English.

I (the resident Scot) WILL be offended if you refer to me as English in any way.

X
          "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

No you're not English :P

A lot of my friends are English though. I also have a few Scottish and Welsh friends, so I know the difference. But I tend to really separate them and refer to them all separately, which is really probably caused because the Germans separate them ("Englander", "Schottlander" and I'm not sure what their word for Welsh people is...) and they do it as well. But sometimes when I refer to English stuff and mean English (like from London or whatever) I get corrected that it should be "British"? I'm so confused sometimes...

But I realized for the purposes of this thread I should have said "UK" because there are some dishes I love that are Scottish (HAGGIS!) and also there are similarities in food I think? My Scottish friend Gayle made an AMAZING trifle at Christmas!
            Last edited by DanieMarie; 03 May 2011, 04:02.

Comment

I think the German for Welsh is Walesicher.

Comment

Thanks for the clarifications! You never know what is PC anymore!

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                  I think the German for Welsh is Walesicher.
                  I just looked it up on Leo...it's Waliser!

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                    I just looked it up on Leo...it's Waliser!
                    Ah, there we are then! Thanks for the info!

Has anyone here ever come across the Cornish recipe for Stargazy Pie? Sounds wonderful - looks a bit scary!

Comment

HAGGIS

It's a UK dish ... Maybe not "ENGLISH" ...

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

Bangers and mash ...
                      I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Haggis is distinctly Scottish. AWESOME though. Can you get it there? One of my Scottish friends lived in DC for a long time (and just moved to Germany last year from there, so it was pretty recently as well) and she said it was banned in the US...something about the parts it's made of (which is really funny because if you do any research into the standards of the US meat industry....) Anyway she said she had to get it and "smuggle" it in from Canada.

Comment

I love the idea of smuggling haggis.... maybe disguised in a set of bagpipes?

Comment

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

You could use food colouring and and a bit of lacing to make them look like American footballs ...
                            I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

I had fish and chips today! Not as good as my friend's local (who I'm staying with tomorrow onward!) but pretty good!

I'm from the west coast of Canada and we do fish and chips UK style as well...it's kind of a nostalgia food for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X