Zucchini Plant Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zucchini Plant Problems

Ok, so I'm having some issues with zucchini plants. They're flowering (we had an early and warm spring), and the female ones are getting their little zucchinis going, but after they hit about 2-3 inches, they shrivel up and die. I've noticed 2 things on them....one, the leaves appear to be having a blight (powder mildew) problem, which I've been trying to treat. 2, I see some tiny black flies on them...the stems, leaves, flowers AND fruit, and on my cucumbers too, and I'm wondering if they're sucking nutrients from it? Or maybe it's something else?

Any ideas?

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

PS I -think- the flying bugs are fungus gnats but I'm not entirely sure. And yes, I've tried to dry out the plants between watering.....

Re: Zucchini Plant Problems

Do they look like this, Danie?
    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Nope. They look like this: http://www.greenconnection.net/blog/...ungus-gnat.jpg

It's a fungus gnat in the pic, but I'm not sure if there are other bugs that look similar?

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

I was googling it and I was reading that neem oil will get rid of them organically (I'd really like to keep my garden as organic as possible and I'm already really sad that the fungus spray I've had to use isn't organic)....will that kill the plants? Or if I use some in the soil (where the larvae are which probably do the damage) will that do it?

Comment

If you want to try this, DanieMarie, I've heard it works pretty well -

Soak a handful of cheap tobacco in a pint of water, then use the water as a spray to kill the buds. And if the maggots are in the soil, sprinkle diatomous earth around the roots. The fossil diatoms are sharp and pointy, and cut the maggots.

I've never personally tried either of these, but, like I said, I've seen these two treatments recommended pretty frequently.

Good luck!
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I read that too, but I've also read that tobacco is extremely toxic, and absorbs into the food as well. I'm also allergic to it....I'm a bit adverse to using it in my garden (or supporting the tobacco companies in any way, shape or form by purchasing anything they make!)

Comment

Shriveled zucchini fruits are usually caused by lack of pollination. Basically, and crudely, your tiny shriveled fruit are your zucchini plant having a period.

Fungus flies are more of a nuisance than a destructive force. The larva do feed on the threadier roots, but the flies don't do much of anything other than swarm around in your face.

For the record, on my own plants that I've tried to grow indoors... nothing seems to kill fungus flies or larva. I've tried dish soap, tobacco, bT, diatomaceous earth, boric acid, cooking the potting soil at high heats for long times prior to planting, drying the soil between waterings, name-brand non-earth-friendly pesticides (including DDT) (don't ask)... I've stopped trying to grow stuff indoors after my kitchen full of big, lush, beautiful, fully-flowering morning glory trellises were relegated to the scorching heat of the Nevada sun blasting down on the front yard. Killing the plants seems to work pretty good at getting rid of the fungus flies, but I imagine if I tried to repot anything in that soil they'd be there again.
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

OK that helps.

So, if the fruits aren't getting fertilized, how do I do that? I was trying to pollinate them with brushes, just in case (I'm just not seeing as many bees around this year ) but I guess it didn't work?

The fungus flies are evil. I've always had them indoors rather than outside, but somehow they're outside this year too. I started them all inside though...maybe that's why?

I think I'm still going to try neem oil...I'll let you know if that gets rid of them! It's inexpensive and it seems to be useful as an antifungal spray as well, which would be great because then I can stop using the chemicals (which don't even work that well) that I've been using.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                So, if the fruits aren't getting fertilized, how do I do that? I was trying to pollinate them with brushes, just in case (I'm just not seeing as many bees around this year ) but I guess it didn't work?
                From what I remember, the female flowers are the ones that come with a tiny immature zucchini attached, & the males don't. We used to take pollen from males on different plants & fertilize the females with that - I can't remember if it's because zucchinis won't self-pollinate or if it just seemed to be more successful.

If you cross-pollinate w/watermelon, cucumber or other melons/squashes, which will also work, you can get different-flavored zucchini If you ever bite into a cucumber that tastes like cantaloupe (muskmelon) or watermelon, that's what happened.
                The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Yeah that's what I tried to do...maybe I didn't get it all the first time.

I have a couple that look like they're healthy at least!

I have squash, but I have them on the other side of the terrace (which is about the size of a living room)....maybe they'll cross pollinate hehe!

My cucumbers are weird....they're not like the other ones I had before....they've got tiny flowers and there are only female flowers. I guess it's asexual.

Comment

And how are your Zucchini this year?

Better, I hope?

Comment

Yeah totally better, but the plants are very small! I think it's still a bit early though.

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                        X