Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vancouver BC Riots

Oct 2006
    Phrase
    I am a leaf on the wind...

Vancouver BC Riots

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in Healing/Prayers. Figured I'd post it here for now.

To all of our Vancouver BC members, I truly hope you are all safe and and well.

http://watch.ctv.ca/news/#clip485355
    “Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Heathen (Tyrsman)

Re: Vancouver BC Riots

I lost 100 million ISK (EVE currency) on this game to a drunk, retired Boston cop. I was rather unhappy.

That said, I wasn't THAT unhappy
    "Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Let a man never stir on his road a step
    without his weapons of war;
    for unsure is the knowing when the need shall arise
    of a spear on the way without.
    -Hávamál

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

DAMMIT I tried sooooo hard not to check facebook because I had to tape the game and didn't want to know the score....didn't think anything would come up here....

Anyway, Jeeeeez Vancouver. I'm from around there, and I'm ashamed of my city when stuff like this happens. The city blames stuff like alcohol, but in Berlin public drinking is LEGAL and happens at EVERY event, and you don't see Berliners rioting when Germany loses the World Cup (which is a BIG deal, probably even bigger than the Stanley Cup....Euros take soccer SERIOUSLY). It's not that Berliners never riot, but it's over political stuff....still stupid but I can see the logic a bit more. Vancouver riots over STUPID stuff. Like losing a GAME, or Guns and Roses canceling their show. It's not the concentration of people on the streets either, because 100,000 or so is nothing compared to the MILLION we get on our streets here to celebrate games, and once again, no riots.

Seriously Vancouver....Seriously.....

I knew this was going to happen too. the Canucks are "my team" so of course I wanted them to win because of that, but a part of me also wanted them to win to avoid this situation. It's what happened in 1994 as well.

A LOT of my friends are in Van, downtown for the game...hope they're ok...

EDIT: Just scrolled through facebook, and everyone I know who lives there is pretty embarrassed for their city, my downtown friends are PISSED because their neighbourhood is a mess (a lot of "WTF, I live here!" status updates), and everyone visiting had the good sense to leave early.
    Last edited by DanieMarie; 15 Jun 2011 at 22:27.

Jan 2005
    Religion
    Atheist

Uh...does this mean that arriving in BC on Saturday is probably a bad thing?
    http://www.roknrol.info <-- if the site's down, just check back later

Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativity.
    - Albert Einstein

“It is not necessary to accept the choices handed down to you by life as you know it.” - Hunter S. Thompson

Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

No, by the end of tomorrow it will be like it never happened.

Jan 2005
    Religion
    Atheist

I hope you're right
    http://www.roknrol.info <-- if the site's down, just check back later

Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativity.
    - Albert Einstein

“It is not necessary to accept the choices handed down to you by life as you know it.” - Hunter S. Thompson

Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

Well, it's not LA....if there's riots it calms down pretty fast....it's usually just passion of the moment stuff. And the citizens are already coming together to try to fix it....there's a ton of sites and fb and twitter pages up to post pics to aid the police in making arrests and handing out fines, and apparently there's a citizen-led clean up effort scheduled for tomorrow morning.

I'm embarrassed to be from the area, but I'm also proud of how, when crap goes down, they pull together and get through it pretty fast.

Oct 2006
    Phrase
    I am a leaf on the wind...

Honestly...I was so tempted to start a drinking game, watching that report. Every time they say "hooligan", take a shot.
    “Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Banned!
    Feb 2011
    Religion
    Nature Heathen

What is not understood, they destroy...
    What makes em fear, they destroy...
    What makes em angry, they destroy...
    What is different from them, they destroy...
    What they create, is to destroy or be destroyed...

And I can go on and on... so no surprises there.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by Taiga Pagan View Post
    What is not understood, they destroy...
    What makes em fear, they destroy...
    What makes em angry, they destroy...
    What is different from them, they destroy...
    What they create, is to destroy or be destroyed...

And I can go on and on... so no surprises there.
    I thought Canadians were supposed to understand hockey...
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible